1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

A Different Willow

Discussion in 'Season 8' started by WillowFromBuffy, May 28, 2017.

1. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

So, I have finally started reading the comics. One of the things I was curious about was how Willow is doing. Turns out, she seems to be doing very well. This should make me very happy, but seeing that I am a very messed up person that will never experience true happiness, I find myself a little conflicted. It is great seeing super-Willow be awesome, but she is not the same Willow that I know and love from 7 years of Buffy on TV. TV Willow was like an open book. You always knew what she was feeling. She showed me the importance of owning your pain.

The Willow in the comics immediately reminded me of the cameo from series 4 of Angel - beautiful, charming and confident. On the one hand, it is good to see her happy and relaxed. On the other hand, it makes her feel distant, when she usually feels very close.

This post is a little premature, because I have not read very far. Turns out, there have been a couple great Willow moments. One was were Willow was talking to Kennedy about how she messed up her one chance at happiness by resurrecting Buffy. It is an interesting moment, because I can never remember Willow ever considering giving up Scooby-life. Still, her feelings make a lot of sense. I don't think Buffy realises what a loyal friend she has had in Willow. Another moment is when Willow feels snubbed, because Buffy did not pick her to take her gay-virginity.

I don't know what the point of this thread was. I guess I was hoping some of the comic-reading people would share their thoughts about Willow's personality in the comics without spoiling too much of the story. The comics are great by the way. Giles in Beatles sweater. Faith in a dress. Racist Dracula. All good ;)

Zenseem, Priceless and sosa lola like this.
  2. Athene

Athene Scooby

Don't worry most of the comics aren't written by Joss Whedon and so they're not canon anyway :)

3. WillowFromBuffy

I don't really care about what is canon or not. I just want more great Willow stories ;) I don't think super-Willow does a disservice to old-Willow. Far from it. It is a great place for her to end up.

4. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I'm so, so, so happy you're enjoying S8!!! I love it so much! Where are you now? I don't wanna spoil anything.

WillowFromBuffy likes this.
  5. WillowFromBuffy

Dawn just turned into a horse. Kennedy is greeting Willow and Buffy at an airport in New York. It's issue #16.

6. Scooby Corps

Scooby Corps Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!

Don't worry, Willow is very layered in S08. She's heroic, yet very ambiguous, suffers trauma, is lonely, badass, kinky, loving but messed up (re: Kennedy). IMO Buffy/Willow is the best in S08 (complicated, dark yet sweet, in the subtext teasingly femshlash-y). You really should read Goddesses & Monsters beforehand though ("Am I a good witch? A bad witch? I can feel the pull from both."). It feeds into her S08 story in a crucial way.

7. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    It takes a while before the writers seem to get Willow right in the series, but in the comics she is definitely more reserved and less like an open book. I do think it does make sense after the events of Seeing Red and I found Willow to be more reserved in season 7 already. Compared to the other seasons. I am glad you are enjoying season 8! It makes me want to re-read it again now, but I first want to finish my rewatch of the show!

You should look forward to the one shots of Willow in season 8 and 9. The art in season 9's Willow series is incredible. Season 10's Willow is quite...absent until the end, but in season 11 Willow is just amazing again. I can't wait for you to read all the great moments to come!

8. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

Oooooh, lots of meaty Willow stuff in this arc. :) Willow will struggle a lot this season and especially in S9. I'm sure you're gonna enjoy her journey.

What did you think of Dracula/Xander? I love how one sided this bromance is and I love that it was Dracula who has feelings for Xander.

What did you think of Renee's death? :(

Also, what are your thoughts on Warren and Warren/Amy?

Who do you think Twilight is?

What are your thoughts on Buffy/Satsu?

WillowFromBuffy and Foxy like this.
  9. WillowFromBuffy

I wish Dracula would have chosen a different pet-name than manservant. I love their interaction. I wish they would have spent a little more time justifying the whole thing. Why on earth would Buffy let Xander vacation with a powerful vampire than can control Xander's mind? Mostly good, though. I loved how Dracula was old and depressed before Xander showed.
    I was fine with that. They spent enough time getting us invested in her. Powerful moment. It was good to see Buffy stop to comfort Xander. I love it when Buffy takes care of her friends. Often it is the other way aroudn.
    I am soooo confused.
    Is he a character from the show? In that case, I have no idea. I loved the tease with the neck-scratching. He could be Adam or somebody from the Initiative.
    I'm not sure. Willow's reaction was great. I wish Buffy's motivations were clearer. On the TV-show, they always showed us exactly why the characters did what they did. I kinda liked that.

@Scooby Corps Where can I buy/obtain Goddesses & Monsters? I've done some searching around. I cannot find it on the Dark Horse page.

Willow seems drained in series 7. I am one of the people who is really happy Kennedy is there for her. Willow got at least two great episodes, though. The one where she is invisible and the one where she is Warren. I also love the way Buffy pushes her into doing magic again. God. Give the girl a break :p

10. Scooby Corps

Scooby Corps Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!

I got the digital version from comixology.com (or comixology.eu / depends on your location). Dark Horse is the Publisher, I don't know why it's not on their page. However, G&M belongs to S08 (it's canon) and is written by Joss Whedon himself. It takes place sometimes after Chosen but previous to A Long Way Home (forgot the exact timeline). One Issue, Willow-centric.

11. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

@WillowFromBuffy You make me remember the excitement I felt reading S8 for the first time :) Please keep posting your thoughts, I love hearing what people think of the comics.

Willow starts off confident, but she doesn't stay that way, she goes through a lot of tough stuff, especially in S9 and she and Buffy don't always get along, there's a bit of anger there. Willow has some of the best arcs in S9, and by S11 she and Buffy are back to being best friends. You've got so much good Willow to look forward to :) And if you liked Kennedy on the tv show, I think the comics will make you like her more

12. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    @Priceless I love comic Kennedy much more than on the TV show. I hope we get to see more of her in the future.

Priceless likes this.
  13. WillowFromBuffy

I've read it. It was a amazing. Willow chooses to let Tara rest. She makes the trickster Goddess her spirit guide. My only gripe is that it was waaaaay to short. I wanted more with Willow and the snake. She seems to be making short appearances in the other comics, though.

Hehe! Kennedy just called Buffy lez-faux. I feel sorry for Kennedy. I cannot for the life of me understand why people hate her so much. That being said, she is not Willow's happily-ever-after and I don't want her to be.

I am really hoping to see Buffy and Willow working out their issues. I hope Willow will finally turn the tables on Buffy.

Scooby Corps: What's great about G&M and S08 is that it's really rich in qualitative writing (dialogue & prose), art, plot, symbolism, metaphors and complex characterization. It's messy in parts but it also invites to countless re-reads and multiple interpretations.
    Scooby Corps likes this.
  14. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

I always enjoy her little cameos in the comics. She's so together and grown-up, she almost puts the scoobies to shame ;) Do we know where she is in S11? I can't imagine her sitting in the safe zone or giving up her powers, so I hope she isn't on the pro-government side :eek:
    --- Double Post Merged, May 28, 2017 ---
    Looking forward to seeing what you think of Willows other girlfriends. Think it's safe to say that Willow does not have a type :)

15. WillowFromBuffy

I just need to express how happy I am to see Willow step out of her corset and ankle dress and into a pair of green overalls.

Cordeliagirl and Priceless like this.