1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

A Season 7 opinion essay

Discussion in 'Season 7' started by DarkGoddess, Jan 9, 2017.

1. DarkGoddess

DarkGoddess Townie

This is way too long, I just started writing and the word-vomit ensued. If you manage to read it all I applaud you
    _
    You see, I am disappointed in season 7.
    I feel like the point that this season was suppose to be “back to the beginning” wouldn’t just mean the high school element is back, but more Buffy-scooby focused.
    It started out promising, from ‘Lessons’ to 'Conversations with Dead People’ everything seems to be going in the right direction, but after these we got a big miss.

We invested 7 years in these characters and their dynamic, and we had a very hard, heartbreaking season 6 where everyone fell apart and from each other, and I was expecting season 7 to be focused about them and their relationships.

Now, this is totally subjective so feel free to dismiss- I didn’t really care about Principal Wood, Andrew, the potentials, the first… And even, with all my love for him- Spike, for that matter. Not to diss the actual characters, they’re fine and all, but they got focus on the last season in favor of the original scoobies, which upsets me.

I mean I adore Spike’s character. He’s going through some big issues and it is very interesting, but I feel like they gave him waaay too much focus. And it felt like he was the main character in this season, not Buffy.

Everything besides Buffy/Spike in this season, felt rushed and forced. I wanted more normal Scooby bonding, the relationships between these amazing characters that we spent 6 earlier seasons very emotionally invested in. I feel like we never got it in this season and it was the point of the show and what got me so invested in it since I was a kid. “Buffy” is about human (heh) characters and how they deal with the everyday horror they face and season 7 felt very empty for me.

This was not the time for this much new. We had that in season 4, where it was appropriate to introduce many new characters and love interests, we’d have time and focus, digest and accept them (or not). Season 7 had SO many new characters and plotlines that I honestly wasn’t able to connect with at this point. It felt like the scoobies (excluding Buffy) were reduced to exposition delivery and background characters. Now I’m not saying that the plot was terrible, the whole thing was very powerful and Buffy’s speeches were moving, but I felt like I was suppose to really care about the potentials or Andrew and that never really “got” me. What I care about is Buffy, Willow, Xander and Giles (throw in some Dawn, Anya and even Faith) because they’re the core of the show! “Back to the beginning”!

To extend the comparison between season 4 and 7:
    In season 4 Buffy started a new phase in her life. No more high school, Angel, living at home and being a teen. We got this HUGE new plot with the initiative and collage life. We’ve seen every Scooby trying to adjust to this new phase- Giles and his midlife crisis, Xander with finding himself, Willow and her sexuality. All through the season we’ve seen the core group drift apart and eventually split, only to come together and realize that they are important to each other. We’ve been introduced to 3 new relationships for Buffy, Willow and Xander. We got to know Riley, Tara and Anya and their place with the group and in later seasons (except Riley…).

Now, compare season 4 Willow/Tara’s relationship with season 7 Willow/Kennedy’s. They were both introduced at the beginning of the season and got their episode in the middle. Willow and Tara even progressed slower as a couple than Willow and Kennedy but they felt real. Season 7 lacked that and tried to pass Willow and Kennedy as an established couple when in reality it’s a fairly new and a bit lacking in chemistry. Was I supposed to believe the two had something in common besides being gay? Was I suppose to believe Willow will let Kennedy talk for her (See: 'Empty places’)? They barely know each other!

Season 4 was the last Faith appearance until season 7. The characters felt connected to her, understandably after everything that went down in season 3. But when she came back, besides some bits with Buffy (and again- Spike) we never got to see her and the scoobies interact on a personal level. That is unrealistic to me that after everything they’ve been through over the years they barely spoke of it- and they were living in the same house, come on.

Season 4 Spike had a new condition to adjust to- He got a chip. His plot was interactive with the scoobies and the seasonal plot and felt connected (and hilarious).
    Season 7 Spike had a new condition to adjust to- He got a soul. But he seemed so not in touch with the rest of the characters that aren’t Buffy. It felt so out of place and unconstructed, as interesting as it was. Plus he got way too much focus. The First is targeting him specifically. Giles and Wood plan to kill him. Him being the 'champion’ I mean… I love Spike but all the season being around him bothered me a bit.

So, in both seasons 4 and 7 we see similarities but, for me, the main difference was that in S4 came in the middle of the journey, it had time for new concepts, characters and relationships, while maintaining the focus on our core characters. S7 tried to do similar things but missed by a long shot. Most of season 7 felt like Spike: season 1 and less the final season of Buffy the vampire slayer.

So for me, season 7 lacked so much (and it had so much… potential). Even the finale wasn’t as epic as it should have. It is amazing, but it felt more of a stand-alone than the wrapping of the season. I felt I could watch a 'previously on season 7’ and then the finale itself and it would give me the same effect as watching the every single episode in this season.

Seasons 1-6 had this commitment to the characters, focusing on the people, not the plot.
    It seems like I completely hate this season but I don’t, it has its moments (mostly the early episodes) but the plot overshadowed the characters that I love, and for me it just didn’t work.

This is my subjective and honest opinion on the matter, you are very welcomed to disagree, and would love to hear other people perspectives.

(also posted on my tumblr, if you'd like a link PM me)

sosa lola: Exactly my feelings about S7.
    Xanderectomy: this is spot on
    Last Watcher: Couldn't have put it better myself...Then I would probably have used far less words ;)
    TONER, Taake, thrasherpix and 5 others like this.
  2. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. The Willow/Kennedy relationship was really forced and I hated Kennedy because it seemed like she was suddenly being treated as part of the scoobies when she had done nothing to earn it. I won't get into a Kennedy rant here (there's an existing thread for that) but she is one of the worst things about season 7 for me. In a fight between her and Caleb, I'd be rooting for Caleb.

3. Wesley Junior

Wesley Junior Potential

You're right. So much of Season 7 spent time focusing on the wrong things like the addition of so many new characters. When a show reaches its final season, new characters being added at that point should be kept to a minimum with the main focus being on the central characters. Otherwise, it makes that season feel bloated and unfocused.

I thought Willow/Kennedy was unnecessary. I understand they were using it to show Willow moving on emotionally from Tara's death. But there were other ways of showing that. Willow didn't need to be in a romantic relationship. It felt too soon for that anyway.

thrasherpix likes this.
  4. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Jotunheim

Black Thorn
    Besides the giant worm eating the dog :p S7 was a waste of time for me. It's the only season I haven't watched over and over. The entire First Evil storyline was a yawn fest, and oh my God, those Potentials were annoying!

If only S6 was the show's finale...keep Dark Willow as the Big Bad a little longer, let her wreck more havoc, and change the yellow crayon moment to Tara coming back from the dead...

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  5. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I could've done without the giant worm eating the dog.......have it eat Kennedy instead! :p

Anyanka Bunny Killer: It made laugh, as did Anya's "Aww, puppy!" response.
    PreferSpike likes this.
  6. Puffy

Puffy Think like a proton and stay positive

I can do that. DISAGREE. Thats for sure. ;)

Ok, because you would love other people perspectives. Here it comes:

First things first. S7 and S1 are not as good as the rest (S2-S6). But there are reasons. S1 was a midseason replacement and that for very rough. And S7 was rushed, because they had to. SMG "I quit!". For me, thats ok (S1 and S7)

But I would not complain about the lack of commitment to the characters when it comes to S7. We are no longer at the beginning. Characters are already well rounded. By the way, I am more a character guy, then a plot guy. But S7 is based on S1-6, so from my point of view, its already stable as ferroconcrete when we are looking at the characters. Sometimes they are talking about interesting things from S1-6. That (glory) past already defines this larger then life characters we all love. So, thats not a loss for me. More a bold and interesting move by the directors. And keep in mind, they had to adjust. S7 is more two seasons in one season. So, be fair.

Also a comparsion of Willow/Tara’s relationship with season 7 Willow/Kennedy’s is not very fair, because total different circumstances. When it comes to Tara, everything was new. The first time for Willow. When it comes to Kennedy (and yes, I am not a big fan when it comes to that character, but thats ok, you know) Willow is already experienced. So its no longer "a biggie" for her. Thats totally fine.
    I dont feel the Need just to repeat everything over and over again, just because it worked in the past. Buffy (the whole show) is also about change.

Overall, S7 is not as good as S6 (S6 is my favourite), but its still (totally) cool (for me). Also for me there is no point to complain about things that are blown out of proportion. This is not against you, more generel. But I always feel a little bit irritated, when people compare apples and pears only to fuel the need to have something to complain about.
    For some people there are only problems (it rains just shit all the day, wow), for me there no things like problems, there are chances.

But hey, maybe its just me, you know. When it comes to Germany, most of the people are only happy if they are unhappy. If they couldnt complain about random stuff, they ...argggg...they just cant. Impossible. ;)

Anyway, I hope honestly that you could get any positive maybe just a little bit out of my perspective. I know I am not the majority, thats for sure. ;)

Priceless likes this.
  7. DarkGoddess

DarkGoddess Townie

First of all thank you for sharing!
    We both agree about the character>plot, and that is why this season was weaker, for me. The characters are well developed, yes, but they are not finished, and that what I was trying to say- they didn't get their focus. Look at the episodes at the start of the season, how they included all of them in a very well-executed way. And during the season this was lost.
    I do like the thought of S7 being like two seasons in one, because it really felt like by the time the potentials came around it was a completely different vibe.
    I understand the writers having to adjust, but I felt like they took on too much and tried to "make new ingredients"(potentials, wood, Andrew) when they have the best ones at the ready. The show is about change, yes, but we didn't need those new, outside characters to bring it forward, all we needed was Buffy and the scoobies, not these strangers that we didn't have time to connect and get to know too well.
    Having SMG quit doesn't spare them for the neglect of other characters during this season.

Thats a nice opinion I didn't consider, but I didn't feel like they were supposed to be the same as Willow/Tara. I do say that they felt very un-believable as a well established couple, and it emphasizes my point about lack of focus. We didn't have enough time to get to know Kennedy that well, so to pair her with a veteran 6 seasons charachter is very unfair. It is a new relationship, and they tried to pass it off as a well-rounded one, so for me it failed at that. It is a change, but a change we didn't get to see, just to accept it as it is, and that's a miss.

This essay is strictly me venting out my issues with this season. This is why it is an opinion one and not- "HERE ARE THE FACTS!!!", I do welcome opposite opinions and from your comment I understand our opinions on this season are not so different.
    I don't wish to gain something from it(it's pretty pointless to complain about a season that ended more than 10 years ago...) it's simply me venting out on the internet instead of just thinking it to myself.

If comes the person who loves S7 and showed me a different prespective that I didn't consider I could change my mind completely on this season. I watched Buffy so many times and in different periods of my life and my opinions changed so much during those years.

I think the complaining for the sake of complaining is very world-wide, not so Germany-exclusive ;)

8. Puffy

Puffy Think like a proton and stay positive

Your welcome. :)

Maybe another approch, that could "help" you (in a positive way):

I never got usedso much to compare different seasons. For me its rather one big journey (S1-7 TV and S8-10/11 comics), with all its different stages and layers. So, if there is one thing missing, when it comes to a single season, the whole picture captures it in the end. Which means it doesnt bug me at all. Or like Buffy would say "no biggie" ;)

Hunga Munga and Guy like this.
  9. DarkGoddess

DarkGoddess Townie

The comparison is just to show a way the show used similar motives(Huge new plot, new characters/relationships) but for the most part, was successful in ways this season was not.

Maybe we need to open a positivity thread about this season haha

10. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    DarkGoddess likes this.