1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

A Very Christmassy Take on Amends

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by Carrie Hopewell, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I watched Amends today and remembered a really nice Youtube video I had seen before. It offers an interesting take on the episode and, in particular, on Angel's character while focusing on the Christmas aspect of the episode as well as on the subject of depression. It's kinda sad, but well thought-out and edited. If you haven't already, you should see it:

2. Jam

Jam Pepper spray is just so passé

I watched this video a while ago and thought it was, of course, sad, but also really interesting – so thanks for re-introducing this to me! I don't often see much discussion/focus on Angel's character from Buffy (or at least separate from his relationship with Buffy), so things like this are always of interest to me. Also, "Amends" is such a great episode!

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  3. Carrie Hopewell

Sineya
    You're welcome! :) Amends is pretty much my favorite Buffy episode. Becoming used to be number 1 (it's number 2 now) but Angel's anguish and desperation is very relatable and moving to me. I love the intensity of Buffy and Angel's scene. It's so well written! Plus, that sex scene, the "Angel's on top?" joke and Buffy and Angel walking hand in hand are perfect moments.
    It's difficult to discuss Angel on Buffy without mentioning Buffy. It's not because he's defined by her, but because in order to explain Angel's S1/S2/S3 progression and why BtVS Angel's so different from 50s Angel or filthy alley Angel, it's fundamental to look at Buffy and their relationship. But I can discuss Angel on Buffy without discussing Bangel (as a ship I mean). I'm always down for discussing Angel. I do it all the time, mostly in my head. I get distracted thinking about him in Ats S4. I understand the character pretty well up until Angel S2, so I'm always more interested in discussing Angel from S2 onward.

4. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Jotunheim

Black Thorn
    I still can't figure out why the snow changed everything. Suddenly Angel doesn't want to die...? Because it started snowing? I don't get it.

5. sk73

sk73 The Overlooked One

Sineya
    Good question.
    Usually I rather want to die when it start snowing and my life spirits awakes when it finally melts away...

/SK

Bluebird likes this.
  6. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    I think it was supposed to be that the snow was so impossible that it proved that the 'Powers that be' didn't want him dead...that they had a higher purpose for him....
    so he realised he had a reason to live.......cheesy I know, but that's what I think the story was....?

7. Carrie Hopewell

Sineya
    The snow allowed him to live another day. The next day, he still could have killed himself, but he didn't because he no longer wanted to. Sometimes, all it takes is sleep and some time to cool down. Spending time with Buffy helped put things in perspective.