1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Ahh Plotholes!!

Discussion in 'Season 6' started by GraceK, Apr 13, 2017.

1. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

ok so maybe some of you lovely people could help figure some stuff out.

I'm on my rewatch of Season 6, and a few things are sticking out to me. First, in the season 5 finale, we see the earth open up and demons start crawling out...and city hall gets incinerated. Why is none of that mentioned in season 6? The whole town just rebuilt everything in 5 months? Really?

Also, if they are using Buffybot to pretend that Buffy is alive, and haven't even told her dad, why the heck did they go to the trouble of burying her with a correct tombstone?? They used her full name and Birthday...like that's not going to be a big red flag to anyone???

What happened to all the crazy people who were building the scaffold? This huge epic battle took place in the middle of town and yet everything is peachy keen with no explanation?? Not even a living in denial place like Sunny-dale does that make sense.

And why would some random vampire claiming the slayer is a robot attract so much attention? She's been fighting them for years, they just assume the Buffybot is the only one covering the town? It seems pretty much an overreaction on the demons end to just assume the town is up for grabs.

Lastly,if Giles was reinstated as her watcher, and is being paid for it,that means he works for the council. With Buffy dead, that leaves Faith the actual slayer. Wouldn't the council have to be told?? No one gives a crap about the only remaining Slayer being in jail???

I'm sure there's more plot holes I haven't noticed yet :)

BuffyBot22: And since Buffy died, why didn't we ever see a new slayer?
    thrasherpix and thetopher like this.
  2. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    When Spike goes to Giles' house, in Tge Yoko Factor, and before he goes in, he tries to pretend that he's breathless from running from the Initiative, but he doesn't need to breathe and they all know that. Or when the Turok Han drowns him. It doesn't make any sense.

3. Athene

Athene Scooby

Well Giles probably didn't tell the council for that exact reason- the council would either kill Faith or get Faith out of jail to be the active slayer. I do wonder why Giles and the scoobies didn't tell Faith to break out of prison and help them out in sunnydale. I mean I know they hate Faith and everything, but she would have been a big help.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 13, 2017 ---
    That's true it also reminds me of how, in the credits of Angel, they show his reflection in a puddle. Vampires have no reflection!

Puppet and Zenseem like this.
  4. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    A lot of those I don't really consider plot holes, since a plot hole contradicts cannon. Those I consider more things that happen off screen that are not explained, but that still don't contradict cannon. It's still bad writing regardless.

thetopher: More accurate. :)
    YummySushiPJs: Agree. No offence to the OP but I hate the growing trend on the 'net to use the word "plot hole" for anything that isn't explained or the viewer doesn't understand. To me that's not a plot hole.
    Smile Time likes this.
  5. Geobubbles

Geobubbles Can I play with the puppy?

Black Thorn
    Also with the Buffy Bot, if she was fighting vampires and what not wouldn't they be able to hear and smell that it wasn't an actual human?

Puppet and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  6. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    Maybe she was made of iron and iron smells like blood? lol

Geobubbles likes this.
  7. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Also in that first scene in S6- who's looking after Dawn? It's made such a big deal later on that Dawn is being protected by Spike, and yet in the opening scene the whole gang is there fighting vamps. Dawn is unprotected.

Then later the Buffybot is sent out ALONE even though its behavior is still very erratic- Willow is still trying to make it not quip like word-soup.
    Bound to make a vampire suspicious, I mean, what if she/it was damaged by a random demon; not unlikely given how much trouble she had with a random slay of the week.

See S7, the Scoobies didn't care if Faith lived or died, otherwise they would've told her that something was killing slayers worldwide.

Puppet: I haven't seen Bargaining in a while, but couldn't one simply assume that Dawn is staying at Janice's house?
  8. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    The showrunners actually acknowledge that as a mistake, but they clarified it as his reflection being his soul. ;)

Puppet and Athene like this.
  9. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

Another (trivial) thing is why did they have to send the Buffybot to school? It seemed pointless and an unnecessary risk. (As for vampires not being able to breathe, Spike also strangled Dru into unconsciousness in season 2.)

There was a Buffy comic, I can't recall the name of it and apparently the Buffywiki isn't going to list it without the actual name, but I believe it's considered canon, and bridges what happens between season 5 and 6 of Buffy that details the events between seasons. I recall it being one of the few Buffy comics I enjoyed and had no problem seeing it as "the same universe" with the TV show. I'll find it later and look, but I don't think they mentioned anything about the insane at the scaffold (though I'd think they'd be easy prey to the demons that came through, and who knows, maybe when Glory truly died then they got their sanity back like Tara got hers).

10. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    I think the implication was that they all got their sanity back when Glory died....just like Tara did.

11. CharlieGunn1

CharlieGunn1 Ready for battle...

I did little checking and the grave site for Buffy isn't in the normal grave yard... it's interesting but you'll notice in the season 5 finale shot... when they zoom in on Buff's grave there are no other grave stones or markers around. And in the season premiere for season 6, when they perform the ritual their deep in the woods with no other tombs or markers nearby.

I assumed that Giles probably paid for an off the books grave, on consecrated earth, to make sure no 'nasties' would try to get the body for nefarious magical purposes. Buffy being a slayer would be a magnet for baddies looking for trinkets or worse.

Not that isn't still a little plotholy...
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 13, 2017 ---
    Here's a question though... who was called when Buffy died in Season 5? I mean there must be a full blown slayer out there whose had powers since Buffy died the second time.

BuffyBot22 likes this.
  12. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Whatever happened to the Cleveland hellmouth? Did it disappear when the Sunnydale hellmouth went or is it still open? And why was no-one protecting Cleveland in the first place? We know alt-Buffy went to Cleveland in The Wish, but otherwise Cleveland remained slayer-free.

(I realise this may have probably been covered in the comics, but still not read them so :p)

GwenRaiden: *in vellavu's voice* summoning Guy!
    Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  13. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    The active Slayer at that point was Faith, since the line ran from Buffy's death in S1, which activates Kendra, then Faith. That's why the Beljoxa's Eye in S7 tells Anya and Giles that Buffy's resurrection messed up or weakened the line, or some such, and that's the reason The First has returned.

Taake: Was juuust posting this. Great minds think alike ;)
  14. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    I think when Buffy died the first time the slayer lineage passed to Kendra and eventually to Faith, but if that isn't the case than there were maybe 4 slayers before Willow's spell (Buffy kinda died in Villains for, like, a couple of seconds).

15. Geobubbles

Geobubbles Can I play with the puppy?

Black Thorn
    Which is funny because in season 7 Buffy says something along the lines of "My death could make you the next slayer" found another plot hole haha.

16. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

The comic I mentioned earlier is called The Death of Buffy . I just finished giving it a skim to review it, and it does not mention the immediate aftereffects of the ending of season 5 (save Buffy being dead, of course). The Scoobies get jumped by vampires 2 weeks after the end of season 5, and Xander's crew discovers a coffin (with yet another Hellmouth surprise). That's when they decide to put the Buffybot back together, which takes them 3 more weeks. (As Willow is finishing up with that, very frustrated in getting the Buffybot to work right with all the previous sexbot code not helping, she gets pulled into other shenanigans on the side by demons that need a powerful witch which allows her to learn of the resurrection spell using the Urn of Osiris.)

The reason the comic has for the Buffybot going to school was that Dawn was acting out, and finally got into a fight. The principal demanded to see the legal guardian, but Giles delayed them, so they were working to have the Buffybot to do that soon as the principal wasn't going to wait forever...I presume then that the Parent's Day in season 6 was a "test run." (I also presume that after how that worked out, Willow said to hell with it and just cast a forgetting spell on the principal.)

I'm just saying for anyone curious.

17. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Scooby

I'm very curious! That was extremely interesting thank you. Any other tidbits from the comic?

18. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

Let me look...the dialog and action does seem in the style of the show. The coffin contains a demon that feeds on sadness and such, so plays the metaphor of their grief that they must overcome. 'Course they don't miraculously get better with the defeat of the demon, but it's a big step to recovery. Dawn, Xander, and Spike are having the most trouble (the verbal exchanges between Spike and Xander is brutal, both too grief-stricken to by their usual witty selves, and Xander would've turned Spike to dust had Willow not stopped Xander...Spike was so mad he willingly hit Xander once in spite of his chip). The fight at school Dawn gets into is shown (one girl calling her Gravestone Girl as Dawn hangs out by Buffy's grave a lot, though there is no mention of who is in the grave which I find odd as surely they'd check, but they wouldn't necessarily know that Buffy was Dawn's legal guardian).

More...

The 3 demons that show up later looking for a powerful witch are brothers to Doc (and as soon as Spike gives an edited story about how he first met Doc, leaving out he had taken Dawn, Willow takes an interest in what these demons know of resurrection spells). They have tongues just like Doc as well. Apparently Doc was more powerful than the 3 combined and held a powerful scroll they want to escape some curse.

Oh, ha! Looks like after Willow performs the spell the 3 demons need, it releases a terrible monster elsewhere. The demons (who don't appear demonic now) are talking about the resurrection spell they shared with Willow, the one that might actually work (and the one she used in season 6) with one wondering if the spell would work. One says if Willow is powerful enough, sure, but there are always consequences...cue the monster that was released by the spell they had Willow cast to tear into them!

Oh, Dawn's principal chances across the Buffybot with the Scoobies at the mall...naturally, the Buffybot doesn't make the principal feel better.

Spike does a favor for a mystic of some kind who is now able to leave Sunnydale, and tells Spike to come to Africa if he ever needs certain things...I wonder if this is meant to connect to where Spike gets his human soul?

That's pretty much the highlights of it.

19. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Scooby

Sounds great!

20. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

Also, whatever happened to the Calderash Gypsy clan? They watch Angel for over a hundred years to make sure he still suffers...then he loses his soul and kills 2 MORE of their kind and that's it? We never hear about them again. They just said "*uck it!" And moved on?

Fuffy Baith: Actually that's a good point!
    Puppet: Oh yeah, huge plot hole. I wrote a fic once where Jenny survived and stayed in SD with Giles, but her cousin went to LA to watch over Angel. Def made a mistake there, in-show.
    Puppet and Fuffy Baith like this.