1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Am I the only person who loved season 6?

Discussion in 'Season 6' started by fredandwesfan, Feb 10, 2015.

1. fredandwesfan

fredandwesfan Townie

Because I thought it was one of the best seasons. Definitely in the top 4 or even 3. I liked that it was more about the characters and all of their personal conflicts than it was about monsters and everyone wanting to take over the world.

After a villain like Glorificus, amazing as she was, it was good to have a kinda/sorta "big bad" that was offbeat.

Buffy being hurt from being taken from heaven was very tragic and made her trully uncompromising in my opinion. She swallowed that pain and moved on, though it effected her for the rest of the season.

A lot of really good episodes, like Once More with Feeling and a few others. Xander bailing on the marraige was good episode.

There's a lot of other stuff but I'll need to re-watch the season because it's been a while. But yeah.

Britney Spears, Guy and Wildfly like this.
  2. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    Nope, you're not the only one. S6 is my favorite season of the verse. But I tend to always like what others hate, you know, like Kennedy :p

Ethan Reigns: Season 6 is one of the best and I like Kennedy too. What other potential actually wanted to be there and perform the slayer function?
    Puppet, Guy and Fuffy Baith like this.
  3. fredandwesfan

fredandwesfan Townie

Ew. XD jk.

4. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    I get that a lot :p I swear I'm the only Kennedy fan...well like ever.

But, speaking of s6, I know a lot of people didn't find it realistic, but for a show about demons and monsters, it related quite well to a lot of the feelings I had. So it might just be a me thing, but s6 mirrored well my life, I think that's why I like it so much. There's lots of stuff in there that I connect with.

5. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I find that S6 has a strong following with some people, but it's a divisive season. You either really like it or you really don't. (I don't, it's easily my least favourite but I do understand why a lot of people love it).
    I don't seem to see much middle ground or consensus.

I like a lot of the early episodes, and the Dark Willow arc has really some good dramatic stuff, but the rest...is just painful to watch for me. The characterisation alone, the truly poor, unsubtle metaphors, the lack of pace/plot/urgency that we've never seen before, the lack of fun/humour. From 'Smashed' to 'Seeing Red'...urgh.

But it does have some of the best episodes of the entire series. 'OMWF', 'Becoming Pt 1/2' is one of the strongest season openers, 'Flooded', 'Life Serial' and 'Tabula Rasa' are ones I'm especially fond of.
    I think it resembles S2 in a lot of ways- it has a lot of that emotional punch that many people find very effective. It's less 'highschool angst' and more 'being an adult sucks'. :)

6. fredandwesfan

fredandwesfan Townie

Yeah, I get that. It's kinda the same for me, but like I said it's been years since I watched it.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 10, 2015, Original Post Date: Feb 10, 2015 ---
    Definitely. And hmm, those episodes you mentioned not enjoying, I'll keep those in minds on my rewatch. See if they're good or not.

7. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I actually thought there was more character development in Season 6 that in any other season, possibly in the entire series to that point. It's like the metaphor from the original "Conan" movie about the secret of steel. What is stronger than steel? The person who wields it. What makes the wielder strong? Trials, pain, suffering, even torture. Just about everyone in Season 6, in some way, learned the true secret of steel.

bespangeled: Yup!
  8. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    You hit the nail on the head, this season is loved by some for the exact reason it's hated by others.

You're right, it has a much less coherent arc, there's no defined pace or plot, which I thought was good for that specific season. But if you don't like this, you'll dislike the season.

Characterization probably went in ways people didn't want to see the characters go, but in my opinion it was necessary to bring the characters there. The metaphors we're very obvious, but obvious metaphors means that they will be more easily accessible to the audience who might connect to said metaphors.

I like a show that is more dramatic than humorous, so I wasn't bothered by the lack of humor either.

So yes, essentially the extreme of this season will make or break it. It's not a well balanced season at all, so if it's not your cup of tea, there are near zero to none redeeming qualities. But if you love what they did, you'll really love it.

thetopher: Agreed. :)
  9. Lyri

Lyri Buckle Up Tight

Sineya
    I actually think it's the complete opposite. I don't think any of the characters grow at all. They make arguably the biggest mistakes of their lives in this season...but they learn nothing from those mistakes. The only one we can say actually changed at all is Spike (yes, I know, no comments from the peanut gallery) and that's only because of the soul. (see, I fixed it.) and arguably Anya. Everyone else? They learn nothing. Willow goes back to using more magic than she actually needs, Buffy starts keeping secrets from her friends, Giles abandons Buffy again, Xander starts bottling up his feelings again, and Dawn starts moping again because she feels left out.

Where's the growth?

Yes, they went through a lot in S6, but it doesn't change them. I admit, I'm not a fan of S6, I think it's poorly handled, poorly written, not thought out, they went for the shock factor instead of actually having a decent plan that they were able to execute. They failed to follow up on practically every major plot line - no one asked Buffy how she was dealing with the AR or her depression or offers her help, Willow decided that the best thing to cure her addiction to magic was to use more magic, Xander wandered around like he didn't just shit all over the girl he supposedly loved and Dawn's issues are ignored now that she has some friends.

The only follow up is on Anya, when we find out how awful and horrifying she finds her life as a vengeance demon and how utterly broken she is after killing the frat bros and losing Halfrek. That's not growth.

God, I hate this season.

thrasherpix, Mylie, Dora and 2 others like this.
  10. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    I agree with this, but to me this is a problem with s7, not s6. s6 had good character growth, yes, in the wrong direction in a sense. But the fact that the character essentially disregard all they did in s6 is an issue of the fallow-up season, not an issue with the season itself. s6 was already way too packed to resolve thing in the same season, but by the end up it you do see the end at the light of the tunnel. When s6 finish, everything seems to point in the direction of the characters learning from their mistakes.

Buffy and Dawn finally become closer, Buffy realizes that she wants to raise her sister the proper way. Dawn is finale considered an adult. Giles coming back could be seen as him realizing he made a mistake leaving. Willow breaking down could have been the start of her properly grieving. Xander almost losing his two best friend could have been the beginning of him realizing he needs to grow as a person, and what it means to be a friend and a boyfriend. He needs to grow up, and by the end of s6, he seems to be on that path where he finale realizes the kind of man he needs to me.

But we get a different ending, the one you described, but all of that happens in s7, not s6.

bespangeled likes this.
  11. Lyri

Lyri Buckle Up Tight

Sineya
    Alright, yes, I'll agree with that - to a certain extent - but my point still stands - S6 was so badly thought out, they couldn't even look past what they wanted out of certain situations to figure out where to go next. The problems originate in S6 and since there's no follow up, that's where they stay.

Dora and thetopher like this.
  12. TotallySpiked

TotallySpiked Slaying

Black Thorn
    I personally consider seasons 4, 5 and 6 the least enjoyable of the series. What can I say, I like the nostalgia of the first three seasons and I enjoy season 7.
    Season 6 is the least tolerable for me. I just find if just a 360 on previous seasons, tone wise especially. I find the season overall just so depressing and whilst it can be relatable, I never really found myself enjoying it. I would have preferred more monster of the week episodes as opposed to the Trio as I just think they're ridiculous.
    There are a few good episodes in this season; tabula rasa, OMWF...but they are few and far between.
    I do agree though in saying it'll either be your favourite or least favourite and for me it's the latter.
    Even with all the Spuffy, it doesn't redeem it.

13. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Season 6 ranks in the middle after s4 for me. I do enjoy the comedy aspect and theres some good episodes. Its the season that i enjoy Tara in. However there's is a lot of stuff i didn't like especially the character development.

thetopher likes this.
  14. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    I love season 6 - it's real life in all it's glory - the real enemy is growing up. Things do change after high school both internally and externally. We make bad choices and there is no adult to bail us out, or give us a cupcake. As for season 7 - once those changes are made, you don't fit back together like you once did.

laianna: This is why I love it too.
    MarlieTheSlayer and Silverspike like this.
  15. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    I actually believe Season 6 has a rather large fan base and received a lot of acclaim/attention from critics as well. I'm sure I saw a clip on Youtube somewhere with the cast altogether at a convention and a lot of the questions were centred on a how great is Season 6 sort of theme.

Personally I think it's the low point of the series. The fun almost completely left this season and it made it less enjoyable to watch.

Dora and thetopher like this.
  16. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    I know a lot of people who feel that way. I kinda can see seasons 6&7 as a sequel to the first five seasons. Then it can be AU and not written in stone. I mean, I ignore the comics - seems to me that would be another good place to split it.

17. fredandwesfan

fredandwesfan Townie

I wouldn't dare ignore the comics- my gurl Fred would still be dead. :(

Taake: Or would she? ;)
    bespangeled likes this.
  18. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    But do they really? The only sign of Dawn and Buffy becoming closer in season 6 is a kind of hail mary pass at the very last moments of the season, something that could have played more in season 7, but throughout the arc of season 6 to me they were in many ways more estranged/separated than ever.

Dawn an adult? More like Dawn is neglected to the extent of vegeance-demon wishing everyone to stick around so she doesn't have to be alone all the time. If they treat her as an adult in this season is because they don't have the time or energy to deal with her.

Giles coming back is to me certainly not a realization of making any kind of mistake because he leaves again almost immediately. He comes to save the world, to help the gang and once that is done he takes Willow and leaves and doesn't reappear again until the situation has once more become dire for the world as a whole, not for Buffy as a person.

Willow I agree with.

Xander if anything regresses in this season, backs away from challenges to grow up, and saying that "almost losing his friends could have been the begnning of him realizing he needs to grow as a person" isn't saying much. It could have been... but it could also be a repetition of s6 where getting Buffy back from perceived "hell" is something he has no emotional depth or shown desire to deal with.

Dora, Smile Time, Lyri and 1 other person like this.
  19. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    Explains why season 6 is a "Love it or hate it" type of thing.

Personally, I liked season 6 .
    However, I know that some people don't due to it being too dark for their taste.

20. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    @Taake , I wrote a nice reply, and stupid me accidentally deleted it:mad::oops: Here's the short version of what I had written (which ended up not being so short, oups)

But overall, I don't disagree with what you are saying, but it still seems to me that the problem is with s7. s6 was all about things going to hell. Yes, Xander regresses as a character, Buffy and Dawn are drifting apart, Giles is being stupid by leaving. But at the end of season, I don't see the ending as a hail mary pass, I see it as a promise for something better. For the group to learn from their mistakes in s6. Which we obviously don't get in s7.

Giles didn't come back because he realized he made a mistake, but him coming should have been the realization. It should have been the moment he sees that he's needed by the group.

Buffy and Dawn are in a bad place in s6, but if they had fallowed up with the ending of s6, and the first few episode of s7, things would have gotten a lot better between them. We would have had a nice resolution for all the stuff they had been through.

s7 should have been rewarding in the sense that it shows the light at the end of the tunnel. It should have shown that after a time of extreme hardship, the gang can support each other again and make things better. At least that's what I would have liked to see. I see s1-3 of Buffy as one arc, s4-5 as another and s6-7 as the last arc in a way. The first two arc seemed to fit really well together, but s6 and s7 do not flow well, because they seem to ignore the ending of s6.