1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Angel: Can't Cross Over From Buffy

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by pizzaslayer, May 5, 2016.

1. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    Didn't have any bite to it in the last season :(

2. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

But you just said you didnt get through it? I've only seen the last season once. Its not the best, but I still quite like it. The finale's great imo.

3. ChaseRules

Sineya
    I watched the first half of it but haven't gotten around to see the second half.

4. Rogueslayer

Rogueslayer Potential

Black Thorn
    So I am not a big David b fan but I prefer angel to Buffy and here's why
    1) angel is aimed at a young adult audience as opposed to a teenage audience. If you look at the timeline angel starts up right after Buffy's target audience would be graduating high school.
    2) it makes fun of itself.the scene where Cordy and Wes pretend to be Buffy and Angel is pure gold. Gunn and Cordy consistently tell angel what a bunghole he's being, to the point where angel pushes them away multiple times.
    3) it is female centric up to the fifth season and even then becomes female centric by mid season. Cordys development from just needing to make money to being a self sacrificing human is incredible. Unfortunately it gets fubarred by season 4 to make way for another villain female arc that is just... Why? Then season 5 becomes more about Fred/Illyria.
    4) it's not all about angel. In fact for being the title character, there's seldom an episode that focuses only on him and his problems.

Yes angel has its problems but so does Buffy ( see seasons 4 and 6 for reference) I just prefer angel because it explores the pragmatically of being human more in depth than I think Buffy does.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  5. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    Angel doesn't excite me as a character all that much, but I still prefer Ats to BtVS these days. I think Angel is as much as an ensemble piece as Buffy is, in fact maybe even more so. I've grown to like Angel as a character, but I doubt he'll ever be one of my favourites. Even so, I think Ats is generally very well written, is pretty epic in scale while still being very character driven and is a very thoughtful series, which in my opinion has a bit more consistency than Buffy did (though in fairness it had a shorter run).

That's me though, to each their own. I know plenty of people who love Buffy but never got into Angel; I know quite a few that loved Angel but never got into Buffy. Horses for courses.

In regard to season 5, I didn't like it much at first. It's grown on me. It doesn't have a strong start IMO- the change of location is jarring and the lack of Cordy was tough for me. Having said that, I think it picks up a lot part way through. Maybe around 5-8 episodes in? And when the season gets going, I think it really gets going. I never expected season 5 to be one I'd rewatch when I first sat through it, but it's gone up in my estimation a lot over time (although I do still tend to skip some of the earliest s5 eps).

Carrie Hopewell: Agreed, except for the part concerning Angel the character. He's my fave.
    Rogueslayer: I usually don't have interest in season five until the Halloween party. Some great episodes were in season 5.
  6. PreferSpike

PreferSpike Townie

I agree with all of this. I think Angel is boring. He was boring on Buffy and he is boring on his own show. I tried to watch all of Angel and I just couldn't do it. I am moving through season 5 because of Spike. I kind of wish Angel would stay Angellus.

7. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

Maybe you don't relate to him at all but for people who do, he can be a fascinating, multi-faceted character.

I actually feel that way about Spike myself, so I guess to each their own. I know I should find him entertaining but he just doesn't interest me at all. I even feel like I don't even know/understand who he is as a character. I wish I did because I would enjoy the show a lot more. I already do but he's part of why I'm not a fan of the last 2 seasons.

I find Angel 10x more interesting than Angelus even though I think Angelus makes a fine villain.

8. ChaseRules

Sineya
    I agree with you in that Angel is boring. IMO he spends way too much time hiding from life. I guess that why I like Spike since Spike at least seems to enjoy life or unlike as the case may be.

9. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

IMO it has a lot to do with sparkle and an easy fix. Spike gets the lines, the grand entrance and the humor and the last word on things a lot of the times. He's also extrovert, in your face, what you see is what you get. People tend to enjoy that more. I prefer characters where you have to dig, and rewatch a lot of times to really understand what makes them tick. Easy fix is not for me. That's why Angel is boring to some people (because on the surface he is) where I happen to think he's one of the most complex characters on either show.

Same for me. Angelus is like Spike...what you see is what you get. Which can be fun for a few episodes but having him around for more than half a Season would bore me quickly.

10. PreferSpike

PreferSpike Townie

11. Slayrunt

Slayrunt Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?

You know what? In all honesty whenever I watch the angel series I just find myself missing buffy and the scoobies.
    Won't lie, there are episodes I love and I have watched the series a couple of times but I don't see the series at the same level as buffy. At least you can put your finger on why you don't like it so much, me? I have no idea! Like I said maybe I just miss the gang too much while watching it

Guy and DeadlyDuo like this.
  12. ChaseRules

Sineya
    It could be there more to Buffy than Angel . At least that what I think .

13. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

So wrong. Spike goes out alone because he doesn't have anyone else. His social life is extremely limited, he lives alone in a crypt for 2 Seasons. Aside from Buffy and Dawn no one gives him the time of day (not counting the extreme OOC scoobies of S4). Spike loves music and food. Angel loves art/culture/ballet. Different strokes. Angel goes out more with his friends than Spike goes out with the scoobies as a group, largely because Spike doesn't care about them. In S1 AtS they were like a family with Angel cooking them breakfast.

Sweeping statements like the one I quoted means you really haven't watched AtS. Because it's factually wrong what you said about Angel. Sure he sometimes has loner phases but there is usually a reason for that. Spike doesn't even have an honest to God friend until he gets on AtS.

14. Antho

Antho Scooby

Maybe it's the problem of many people. Maybe you can't like one because you love the other and make comparisons between them. I'm not a huge fan of Angel and I'm not a huge fan of Spike, i like them in a different way and for different reasons. The Characters are not the same, but i can see why people make comparisons and i think that's the reason why you can appreciate one and not the other.

15. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Spike has Clem.

16. ChaseRules

Sineya
    I think you forgetting that Spike had Dru. By all accounts him & Dru were in love with each other so that proves Spike had more to give than Angel .

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  17. Antho

Antho Scooby

But Angel had Darla.. They were in love each other. Not the same love but love anymay.

18. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

So you want me to compare soulles Spike and souled Angel? That doesn't work. And the Spike & Dru love was completely one-sided. She cheated on him whenever Angelus was around...or a chaos demon.

And as @Antho mentioned, Angelus was with Darla (for the most part) for 150 years. That's even longer than Spike and Dru.

Antho likes this.
  19. ChaseRules

Sineya
    But we saw that Angelus & Dara didn't really care for each other . And from what I see Dru saw Angelus as her father & Dru was messed up so she must have thought that was all right . And Dru didn't cheat on Spike with a chaos demon . Dru saw Spike was falling for Buffy so she left him & it was after she had left Spike that she started going with the chaos demon . Or so I remember .

20. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I always thought their were underlying issues regarding the ANgelus/Dru pairing and it wasn't Dru cheating (She was still sleeping with Spike during her "affair" with Angelus since Angelus said she gives Spike "pity access").