1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Angel Season 4 almost the best television ever made? (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by AngelR0cks, Dec 7, 2015.

1. AngelR0cks

AngelR0cks Townie

In my opinion Season 4 was going to be the best season of TV ever made until the Jasmine storyline was introduced. Jasmine was an underwhelming Big Bad which made all of the fanfare of the past episodes (such as blotting out the sun, bringing back Angelus look ridiculous!) . The reveal of Jasmine was like that moment from the Wizard Of Oz when we see how pathetic he really is except a thousand times more disappointing. And getting rid of the Beast so easily WTF? Nonsense. He should of been the Big Bad or working for one that was actually intimidating (like an angry ex senior partner of Wolfram and Hart?, Illyria in original form? An evil watcher corrupted by a mysterious power) just anything but that Jasmine character. It would also have been better to get rid of the Cordy/Connor thing and develop his character. What do you think?

2. Samuel Reyes

Samuel Reyes Chilling in SunnyD

+
    Wesley's character development.
    Lilah being a badass and decapitating Linwood.
    The band getting back together.
    Lorne comes to stay for good.
    The return of Angelus.
    Faith breaking out of jail.
    Willow's appearance in Orpheus.
    A thankfully fantastic season finale.
    Fred/Gunn - I was OK with it because they really did care for one another.

What we needed:
    Give Connor a redemption arc after what he did at the end of the Season 3 and have him make amends with his father.
    Get rid of Saint Cordy and replace her with the Cordy we all love -- generally well-meaning but reasonably blunt at times.
    Make something horrible happen to Justine.
    As for Charisma's pregnancy, do one of two things: have her wear looser/more clothing or film her in closeup half the time so that it's hidden better OR you can still do the whole Jasmine arc but without the involvement of Connor. Make it to where Cordy somehow got pregnant during her stay on the higher plane (without the Jasmine possession that drove CC's acting into the ground) and don't have it as a plot point until near the end when it spontaneously happens. Chalk it up to a higher being as having simply granted her life. OR, you can take a third option and don't introduce Jasmine at all. There, that's better. Introduce a Big Bad who is actually interesting. Keep Angelus around longer. Something.

If all this had been fixed, then we have ourselves a perfect season.

bespangeled and Fuffy Baith like this.
  3. mackenzie99

mackenzie99 Potential

faith should have stayed longer and interacted with Wesley and Gunn more;)
    I could watch season 4 again and again if that happened.

4. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Plus Gwen Raiden. A shout out to her- she was a genuinly fun/sexy addition to Season 4.
    And she gave us the best Gunn-centric episode we'd had in a long while. 'Players'. No 'I sold my soul for a truck', no smug Geo, just Gunn being cool in a tux. :)

Fuffy Baith and bespangeled like this.
  5. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    Jasmine has no problem except that she should be a true PtB instead of a "corrupted" or "irrational activist" one. The moment she had maggot face and started eating people she degenerated to a ordinary evil. I mean, both PtB (representing good) and senior partners (representing evil) should be enemies of human race. It would make Angel's yet another disillusion more believable.

The corruption of the Fang Gang was very unbelievable, especially for Gunn. At least other people did not put their head in a plate for the senior partners to wash. If they want to go there, they should spend more episodes for a full plot arc of their accepting of W&H's offer.

Well, the main problem is still that Jasmine turns out to be yet another "Grrrr" evil. AtS finally didn't have the guts to go a "Champions representing humans to fight both God and Satan" story. I guess it's not acceptable for WB.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 8, 2015 ---
    This one was also very very underwhelming. I was ready to see the Fang Gang fighting each other to death while Angelus was gloating and massacring civilians.

I mean seriously? He went to a demon bar and accepted their congratulations? He didn't go and rape some nuns? He didn't mail some Ebola virus or bombs to Buffy's house? Unbelievable.

Samuel Reyes: I liked Angelus coming back, but yes I agree they should have done more with him on his own rather than as a pawn for Jasmine.
    AngelR0cks and bespangeled like this.
  6. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    I would have loved to have them use Jasmin to show that a PTB is powerful, but not necessarily good. But I would have much preferred her just showing up with Cordy.

Still, Wesley, Weslah, Faith - and cut-rate evil-lite Angelus. I like the season until Jasmin takes the show off into the world of huh?!. And there isn't enough bleach to take away ....that image.

AngelR0cks and Samuel Reyes like this.
  7. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    Nothing bottoms the glowing Cordy bathed in rays of various colors. The special effect team hated Cordy way more than JW did.

Anyanka Bunny Killer likes this.
  8. AngelR0cks

AngelR0cks Townie

Yeah Gwen Raiden was awesome! I really thought they would make something happen with her character. Exploring the origins of her powers would of been a decent plot arc in and of itself.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 24, 2015 ---
    I love me some Faith. If they'd added her and Gwen to the roster and put Connor on the same level as Faith strength and skill wise. BtVs would of become an afterthought.

Looking back I remember thinking for a split second that this had all somehow been arranged by Angelus so he could get rid of Angel and rule over the Earth in one superbly calculated swoop.

BuffyBot22 and thetopher like this.
  9. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    That would have been awesome!

10. AngelR0cks

AngelR0cks Townie

I know right that's why the whole Angelus killing the Beast and then Jasmine coming forth really bummed me out. I mean think about it Angelus knew the Beast and made a deal with him. Obviously Angelus hates Angel and wants to be rid of him. What if he had set thing in motion centuries before...Also it wouldn't of been too much of a stretch to say that although Angel has functional control over himself he doesn't have total control. I mean Angelus is still in their. He could of plotted things while Angel slept or was rendered unconscious. If that had been the play it would of been an amazing arc. Taking out Angel and total world domination = two birds one stone.

bespangeled likes this.