1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Angel-Shanshu Scroll and case

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by buffyprops, Oct 13, 2010.

1. buffyprops

buffyprops Potential

Just completed...the Shanshu Scroll with both end images as seen on the show.
    The left end was first revealed by Wesley and the right end by Angel.
    The scroll is over 10 feet in length and fits nicely in it's case which was reproduced by examining images of the original. Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(all photos were either screen-capped or taken by ME (buffyprops)
    See the build-up process here:http://buffyprops.com/ShanshuScrollCase.aspx
    And here:http://buffyprops.com/ShanshuScroll.aspx

Taake: that is Gorgeous! And amazingly detailed!
  2. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

That's really beautiful work, and great attention to detail. Just out of curiosity, have you made any attempt to try and find out if the text actually says anything, and if so, what, or is it just a sequence of exotic symbols? (I would be interested to know just how great a detail that they went to in creating the original)

Also, just out of curiosity, have you ever considered making an actual "battle ready" Scythe, as opposed to the wall hanger variety? It might be interesting just to see whether their design would have actually worked as a weapon.

3. buffyprops

buffyprops Potential

Thanks white!
    To the best of my knowledge the Shanshu-Text is gibberish. A mixture of ancient Farsi and about seven different fonts and a bunch of hand detailing thrown in for good measure.
    When we got into it we found out that simply printing out a fancy font looked...well...printed out.
    So, what Kathryn did was go back in and overlay a lot with hand drawn schwa's and lines for emphasis. In return for all her hard work she will receive a copy of the scroll and half off on a Faith's Draconian Katra which is nearing completion.

As to the battle ready scythe...
    That's a tough question.
    My Angel Scythe, which is what I believe you are referring to, was one of two that were made for the fight sequence between him and the Demon Vocah. The only other one was a stunt double made in rubber. The metal ones were made in high impact aluminum so they could be banged together for staged combat, though the top knobs were not welded on until after the episode finished shooting (if you watch the fight sequence closely you can see some of the knobs fall off as well as the rubber scythe wobbling when it hits the floor and Angel steps on it!)

It would be a pretty simple matter to cut the blade out of steel for "functionality" but...I don't know what I'd use it for...I'm of the mind that the best thing for home defense is a good semi-auto shotgun.
    If I were to do it though I'd leave the handle aluminum to cut down on the weight.
    All in all it feels very good in the hands so I can well imagine it would make a very affective weapon.
    Now if you are talking about a Slayer Scythe I can tell you honestly that I have a friend who does CAD modeling and he is working on the Slayer Scythe for me even as we speak!
    I also know a few machinists so...a custom Slayer Scythe might be in my future...but we'll have to wait and see!:D

4. NY State of Mind

NY State of Mind Cain

Nice...it looks very detailed...if ya'll make a scythe i'm gonna have to buy one

5. white avenger

I was actually referring to the Slayer's Scythe, and the problems that the geometry of the blade as it is designed would probably cause.. Considering the thickness of the head and the abruptness of what is supposed to be the cutting edge, anything made with complete accuracy out of steel would be far too heavy to use effectively (unless, of course, you had Slayer strength), too dull to cut very well, and the round handle would make orientation of what edge that you did actually have highly difficult. Ultimately, what you would wind up with, if you stay strictly with the original configuration, would be a rather awkward club. It photographs beautifully, but I would be surprised if, as constructed, you would be able to behead many ubervamps with it.

Making an actual cutter, both effective and practical, while staying as close to the original configuration, would almost certainly present an extreme challenge.

And I agree about the shotgun, though I favor a pump action over semi auto. Less chance of jamming, easier to clear jamb and misfires, and actually a higher rate of fire if used properly.

6. TabulaRasa

TabulaRasa Buffy Girl

Is this stuff you are actually making to reproduce for sale? Or for your collection alone?

buffyprops: Tabula---A bit of BOTH actually! PM me if interested.
  7. Kean

Kean Professional Bangel

My Angel nerdage has just sky rocketed. I seriously need me a Shanshu Prophecy...*drool*

buffyprops: Thanks Kean!...feel free to PM me!
  8. Scobro

Scobro Scooby

It depends on if you are talking within the house or outside. I have always felt that inside I would much rather a pistol than a big, bulky shotgun. Maybe if you got some critters rummaging around outside or some Spuffys on your porch, use a shotgun to scare them off, but never seen the practical use of one indoors.

9. white avenger

(I guess it's my fault that we got off on this tangent, so with Buffyprops' indulgence, I will answer this, but let's not completely get off on a home defense topic, okay? I'm trying really hard to cut back on my thread hijacking)

The advantage of a shotgun in close quarters hor home defense is that it doesn't have to be aimed as closely and, when loaded with a light shot load, you don't tend to shoot through walls and hit people in the other room. Plus, a shotgun, even a .410 or 20 gauge, is a helluva lot more intimidating that any handgun, not to mention the fact that it's safer to teach an inexperienced person how to use safely.

And if you've never heard the sound of a pump action shotgun cambering a round, especially when you're someplace you aren't supposed to be, like your average home invader is, you've missed a truly bone chilling experience.

And, by the way, some Spuffies shoot back. Just a bit of friendly advice.

Scobro: I see your point, the only one I didnt consider was aimed as closely.. I just cant see it being as practical. I dont care if my gun intimidates them as much as a shotgun, I think the bullet in them would do the trick.
  10. buffyprops

buffyprops Potential

You guys make me laugh! I don't mind that the thread got a little off topic, just happy everyone is interested. It might make for an interesting sub-topic though...
    "Buffy/Angel Weapons for Home defense":)

I would love to make props for anyone who is interested, though for obvious reasons and BB rules, I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm only here to sell stuff.

I have a handful of Buffy Props that I can recreate upon request so if anyone is interested please PM me!

11. Chosen Enemy

Chosen Enemy Losing my soul

Whoa, you just gave me an idea!
    I study fashion design, and maybe later on I will be able to make clothing and outfits from Buffy! Then we can open a store and sell Buffy inspired items!

buffyprops: Go for it!*thumbs-up*
  12. white avenger

"Buffy/Angel Weapons For Home Defense." Now, that could get interesting...

Chosen Enemy: lol yes, that could be interesting and a big seller!
  13. buffyprops

buffyprops Potential

Where would one start such a section? I'm still un-clear as to what should be posted where around here.:)

14. white avenger

A thread like "What Weapon Would You Choose For Self Defense On The Hellmouth?" would probably go in "Inside Out," since it would pertain to multiple seasons of the show. If I were you, I would place some sort of limits on it, though, like, say, only weapons that would be practical to carry concealed, or only weapons that would be practical to have within a residence (if you want to have two different threads, one for concealed carry and one for home defense) otherwise, someone's gonna say that they would want to drive around in a Patton tank and have their houses stocked with enough firepower to hold off an army of ubervamps AND the initiative.

We could split it up, if you really want to do that. You take home defense, and I'll take carrying outside the home.

15. buffyprops

buffyprops Potential

I was thinking of "If you could choose only ONE, What weapon seen on Buffy/Angel would you choose to use for home defense?'
    That narrows the responses a bit...
    (I'm calling dibs on the Rocket Launcher though!):)

white avenger: Check my thread "Packing Heat On The Hellmouth." Rocket launcher's out. If you want to start a home defense thread, you can set up your own rules.
  16. Big Damn Hero

Big Damn Hero Scooby

I can tell WA and BP are from America. In England we have this spiffy thing called the Police, and that's all we're allowed :p

I do find it wierd how alien the concept of having a gun in your house to defend yourself is to me, culture differences and all that.

17. buffyprops

buffyprops Potential

:) Truthfully...I own more swords than guns.

18. white avenger

And I own more Bowie knives that swords and guns combined.

19. buffyprops

buffyprops Potential

Nice thing about swords and knives...they don't run out of ammo.

20. white avenger

...and they're pretty...and quiet...and highly effective. Check out an account of Jim Bowie's fight at the Vidalia Sand Bar sometime. Truly awesome.