1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Angelus in Season 4

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by GraceK, Nov 12, 2016.

1. GraceK

GraceK Potential

Anyone else not impressed with Angelus in season 4? Dont get me wrong, i own all the DVDS of both shows and have been an avid fan since they first aired...but for some reason, I find the portrayal of Angelus in Season 4 cringe worthy. I feel like he was a neutered version..even though ATS is supposedly the darker more adult show, I feel like Angelus was infinitely more scary and sexy in season 2 of BtvS. Season 4 Angelus does nothing but taunt everyone while locked in a cage, parade around LA like a hammy actor who thinks hes the best thing ever(and the way all the demons fawn all over him I find completely ridiculous and OCC for the verse) make big speeches, and beat up Faith. Oh and he kills the beast...I just feel he is completely over the top, mustache twirling villain...I have to be honest, Im almost embarrassed to watch...Willow,Faith and Wesley are the only redeeming parts of that arc for me. Never once do I honestly feel afraid that he will hurt someone. Am I alone in this? Maybe its because David Boreanaz is older, or the writing...I just feel like hes kind of lame in this arc.

thrasherpix, Monkey Pants and Guy like this.
  2. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    PREACH. Season 4 Angelus is completely off. He's too overacted, too shout-y, he never really hurts anyone, the excuse to bring him back was lame, the Hannibla Lecter act in 'Soulless' was terrible... Ugh. Such a waste of a previously great villain.

GraceK likes this.
  3. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    Yes, I agree. I'm always a little confused on why he's so different..?

GraceK and Guy like this.
  4. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    My own head-fanon is that Angelus in S4 is actually more than a little crazy after being put through all of Angel's happy times during the time of his show, especially the Season 3 stuff.
    Angel's pain at losing Buffy, then he growing feelings for Cordelia, him having friends at all really (something new that Angelus never had to put up with) then the stuff with Darla, being Connor's Dad (imagine Angulus' agony at having to witness/experience Angel's happy feelings of fatherhood?)

After all that emotional drama being inflicted on Angelus... maybe he went a little nuts when he was finally let out of the box?

For the record when Angelus is in a cage he's is actually very well written, dark and psychological. His scene's with Wesley and Connor in particular are great.
    But yeah, when he's out and loose he's kinda overblown and lame.

Bluebird and GraceK like this.
  5. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Potential

I'd have mentioned this in the Buffy dream thread, but I wasn't able to find it. I had a nightmare of Angelus last night that was really scary. I don't remember enough to make a coherent story out of it, but I do remember many scary moments in particular, and though I've dreamed of Buffy many times that was the first (and I hope last) that I dreamed of Angelus. He was much closer to the season 2 Buffy version, and an artist of evil who knew how to play people, rather than season 4 Angel's version...though there was at least a cameo of Gunn and Fred (the latter wearing a Pocahontas costume for some reason), and neither seemed particularly concerned over Angelus despite what an utter terror he was being. I don't recall any other characters (of either Buffy or Angel) being present in the nightmare.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  6. GraceK

GraceK Potential

I also never understood the whole point of this arc. Thats one of the things that really bother me about season 4...what was the point of beast? SO we are made to believe that Jasmine, through Cordelia, orchestrated this whole thing just to be born...but how does raising the beast, raising Angelus just to kill the beast, and then trying to kill Angel fit in? As soon as she slept with Connor and got pregnant all she had to do was wait...she could have easily manipulated Connor into sacrificing that girl anyway...I feel like all that other stuff really served no purpose.

Guy likes this.
  7. Slayerofslayers

Slayerofslayers Potential

Yeah I agree Angelus wasn't that great in these episodes. I remember being surprised because he was so good in season two of Buffy and it was disappointing to see the way he is portrayed in these episodes when I was expecting it to be interesting and exciting to have him come back again when he had been effective on Buffy. The one episode of this arc that I thought he was better in compared to the other episodes of this arc was "Orpheus" when he and Faith are seeing Angel's memories and Angelus and Angel confront one another but other than that I was disappointed.

8. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I like him in season 4, but that whole season is great for me. I think there is a lack of focus for the character though. His obsession over Buffy in BtvS S2 is what made him so disturbing.

thetopher and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  9. GraceK

GraceK Potential

in my opinion hes just not scary in season 4...he really comes across as a hammy and over the top....( and really, he seems more perverted than anything else) and what is all the celebrity worship from other demons? really? im sorry but that was really lame.

Anyanka Bunny Killer likes this.
  10. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I could buy that, in the demon world, certain people would become well known and get recognised for things they've done (a bit like a film star) and other demons would be "fans" of their work, but I think the main issue is that it was not applied consistently throughout the Buffyverse therefore when it did occur it came across as silly.

Carrie Hopewell and GraceK like this.
  11. Fenrir

Fenrir Townie

I quite liked Angelus in Season 4. Though part of that is because he called people out on the crap they never seemed to get called out on. Was a little jarring seeing how quickly the team turned on itself though.

Was Angelus supposed to have killed the Beast (also bad naming there since it was applied to Glory)? It might explain the knife he crafted but Cordelia did seem a bit pissed that Angelus killing him. More background on the Beast would've been nice since he was capable of taking down some rather powerful beings.

12. Mylie

Mylie Potential

I loved Soulless for that reason. Also because it just shows a different yet still perverted side to him. He was able to manipulate them all against each other in his freaking cell. They all knew not to trust him but he still was able to create doubt and insecurities, etc. All of this, just using things that Angel had learned/experienced/witnessed.

My favorite part was the Oedipus complex thing with Connor. I laughed.

Fenrir likes this.
  13. Fenrir

Fenrir Townie

I felt that it was a bit over the top how quickly they turned on each other but I guess it's a problem with keeping the pacing. If it'd taken too long it could've gotten a bit dull.

14. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Yeah and I don't like that setup of him in the room and them waiting trying to get him to do something for them and him pushing their buttons. Half the time all they would have to do is turn the mic off:D It makes for some solid drama, but yeah it makes them look to weak. Its pretty obvious he's just saying it to get to get them. PAY NO ATTENTION!;)

15. Fenrir

Fenrir Townie

I think they felt they had to keep listening in case anything happened. Someone always by the cage and someone watching on the camera to ensure things don't go wrong. Like when Fred was caught by Angelus when she was trying to feed him. Had Wesley not heard the commotion that could've gone much more badly.

16. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I agree. I didn't like seeing Angelus being like a vampire celebrity in the bar, gossiping and that vampire girl hitting on him. Outside of Darla, Dru and Spike, I don't really want to see Angelus socializing. It makes him less scary in my opinion. I'm fine with him being a bit more goofy, in the sense that Angel in early Buffy was more brooding and serious and then got more goofy on his show. So I can see that would reflect in Angelus. He had some great moments and really creepy lines in season 4.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  17. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I don't think Angelus should be goofy. A bit of that with Angel was welcome for a change. But it made Angelus less of a threat for me.

GraceK likes this.
  18. GraceK

GraceK Potential

I agree...he just wasn't scary. I think someone mentioned in another post that they were trying to make him Hannibal Lecter, and it failed. That was a good point. And then he escapes and heads for the street and is literally the cheesiest ...this could be very shallow of
    Me to say, but I found him sexy and frightening in season 2 of BYVS, and in this he was more like a hammy pervert. :( the whole
    Thing was dumb.

Mr Trick likes this.