1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Angelus

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by nightshade, Feb 7, 2016.

1. nightshade

nightshade Watcher Staff Member

Black Thorn
    In season 4 Angelus is somewhat different to when appeared in Buffy season 2. I have a few theories to that:

• Angelus was brought back and it was planned that he would be controlled, and although he wasn't always under the gang's control he was under The Beast/Cordelias
    • He knew that he could be re ensouled, that this was planned to be temporary
    • Also last time he had a focus, Buffy, this time there wasn't such focus. He hadn't been trapped as much, Angel wasn't repressing the demon as much, as shown by killing the lawyers.

2. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    I think it's because that Jasmine was simultaneously threatening him so that he had to focus on the mission of killing the Beast, and assuring him that he would be rewarded if he behaved?

And by the way, I think letting the lawyers die (as well as performing dark magic without apologizing, memory wipe, Twilight) are 100% Angel's fault. Even if he gets shanshued and banishes the demon, natural tendency to do such things will still be his main weakness.

3. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I will wait for the rewatch of this season to comment. But actually I prefer the way they used Angelus in Buffy.

4. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I always thought Angelus' personality in S4 was a form of insanity.
    Angel himself had been greatly humanized over the course of his time in LA. He had gained real friends, ties to the world, a mission and purpose beyond moping in alleys. Hell, he gained an honest to god son, a blood connection. Concieved with Darla.

It must have been near-constant torture, agony for him to witness and feel all those emotions. Therefore when he was 'released' in S4 he seemed as lot more 'hyper' and unstable. Desperate to do some sort of damage but also afraid of the soul being put back and being made a prisoner again.

Bluebird and Buffy Summers like this.
  5. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    In season 2 Angellus subconsciously enjoyed buffing Buffy and may have had some hidden feelings for her (would not be the last time an evil monster did) so he exacted more rage and vengeance at the thing that made him 'weak'. In LA, it was constant darkness, for a vamper that would be like a kid at christmas or @Faith on the start of her little kickball games.

Angellus was probably just giddy for having a world that could belong to him.

6. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Its a different kind of Angelus. I just think because they did it in Buffy first, and Angelus made such an impact as the big bad of that season then it was always going to feel a bit of retread in Angel. Think it worked better in season four than when he was brought back in season 1.