1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Anyone else find Season 4 the most "peaceful" of the series?

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by Joshua, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Joshua

Joshua Huge Spuffy Fan!

It's not a perfect season at all, but I just love how chill and almost" peaceful the 4th season is if this makes any sense.

Idky but I just love the college atmosphere.

2. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

I thnk the show needed a change after three years in the same setting, just to keep it fresh and I think the college setting does work. I always enjoyed seeing a more confident Willow and Buffy being a bit lost.

One of the reasons it may feel more 'peaceful' is that the big bad didn't seem as threatening as in other seasons. Adam seemed a bit lame, and Maggie Walsh as the mad professor would have made a much better villain and it's a shame she was sidelined in favour of her monster. The monster is never as scary as it's creator.

3. gnarl

gnarl Townie

It's also visually brighter and more colourful than the previous seasons which changes the atmosphere a lot. Even the night scenes don't seem as dark as before.

Zenseem, DeadlyDuo and Priceless like this.
  4. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

In the Freshman it does give that very wide open space, clear air vibe, almost like its a more futuralistic sort of feel than the busy, noisy halls of Sunnydale. I think this was as a way to sell a different experience for the characters full of possibilities, but also one that was masking something darker.

DeadlyDuo and Priceless like this.
  5. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    I just rewatched season 4 and I wholly agree with you. I really found myself loving the season and before this rewatch I generally disliked it.

I am appreciating Buffy even more during this rewatch!

Priceless likes this.
  6. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Is it difficult or time-consuming?

Black Thorn
    S4 is lovely. Very fresh and cheery looking. Plus, they filmed a few scenes on the UCLA campus (Go Bruins!!!!). :D

Mylie and Foxy like this.
  7. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    That's why I love season 4. It's a whole new world for them and they had the chance conquer it, while also fighting demons, of course. And for me it's one of the last season of the scoobies as best friends. After that they just drift apart and season 4 is where we get to see they starting to grow up and realise everything will be different from now on.

gnarl and Living Dead Boy like this.
  8. Living Dead Boy

Living Dead Boy Joss is Boss

Black Thorn
    It's definitely the most "lighthearted" in a sense. Seasons 1 and 4 are kinda alike, in the sense of everything being uncharted territory, and the Scoobies being blissfully unaware of what they're getting into. The Big Bad wasn't as effective as all the other villains, everyone knows that. But we had a great array of standalone episodes, the series started to become more experimental (Hush, Superstar, Restless), which is always big fun, and you had the core four together to beat the Big Bad for the last time before things started to get real (or bad, depending on your point of view) in seasons 5-7.

Plus, this season has this:

[​IMG]

:D:p

GraceK: One of the best scenes ever :)
  9. Aqua

Aqua Townie

Season 4 is probably the lightest in tone of the seasons. It's arc is sometimes seen as weak, but it also has some of the best episodes in the series, such as Hush, Restless, etc.

DeadlyDuo likes this.