1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Anyone Speak Canadian?

Discussion in 'Buffy and Angel International' started by nerd4hire, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Your Creamy Coolness

Your Creamy Coolness Your Scrumptiousness

Thanks for the info! I have always argued with Americans who say the health care is flawed. I also have a friend from you're homeland who said it wasn't bad at all. And she was worried because she had come to America with her husband.

I didn't know Gay Marriage was legal! That ROCKS! I don't watch the news that much so I didn't know about it being legal. The news is beyond annoying and they never focus on the good in the world so I have no time for it!

I have a bad back and no insurance so the whole health care issue really burns me up!

Maybe one day I will live there and/or visit! :)

2. inthedoorway

inthedoorway awesome extraordinaire

yeah universal healthcare works really well. I dont beleive that poor people shouldnt get the exact same coverage as rich people. Thats just blows my mind that people can't afford surgeries they need etc etc
    The people here from the UK will also tell you universal health care is better as well, Im sure. From what I hear their healthcare is really good too. And France apparently has amazing coverage where they'll send doctors to your home if youre sick, stuff like that.
    I have nothing against the american gov, but I truely beleive the insurence companies buy out politicians to keep universal health care out, and use the media to convince the people that it dosnt work. Obama seems to be trying to do some good in this regard, but its a hard fight.

If you ever need to get married, heres the place to do it! (and if you find a canadian to marry then you can get that bad back taken care of for free!)

3. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I love Canada! :D I'm Scottish - we have free healthcare, and I've never had a problem with it. :) Not that I've ever been seriously ill but my dad has heart trouble (he had a heart attack last year) and some other problems but I can't imagine how expensive it would be for him if it wasn't free, considering the amount of medication he takes. The only thing you pay for is the prescription charge, which is something like a few pounds and doesn't matter how much you're getting. Oh and you only pay it if you can afford it, like working.

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Forgot to say - Scotland is planning on scrapping the prescription charges altogether. :D

inthedoorway: thats awesome! Pills are the only thing we pay for
  4. Harley

Harley Imported from Detroit

Sineya
    What does it mean if these apply and I'm American? Oh yeah, I'm from Michigan. ;)

Randy Giles makes fun of me for saying "pop" and not "soda".

inthedoorway: you're ALMOST canadian!
    Wesley_Wyndam_P: it took me a sec to figure out the pike one
  5. Spikefan31

Spikefan31 Effulgent

Black Thorn
    I'm Australian, but it seems there's some similarities between English here and English in Canada, like the use of 'highway' rather than 'freeway', 'chocolate bar' rather than 'candy bar' (no one says candy in Australia. We say 'lollies') and 'zed' rather than 'zee'. Also, I wasn't even aware that 'pike' meant anything other than a fish. :D

However, we say 'soft drink' rather than 'pop' or 'soda' and when talking about school grades we generally say "Year 1, Year 2, Year3...Year 12" rather than 'Grade 12' or '12th Grade'. I find it fascinating how English has evolved differently everywhere.

Canada sounds like a really cool, laid back place. You guys probably have a similar sense of humour to us Aussies, too. I don't know. But I do know that I really really want to go the Canada one day. I could practice my French while still having English-speakers to talk to. It'd be great! And I want to see snow! REAL snow! Arrghh! I hate being on a random Island in the southern hemisphere! I want to be near Europe too! And have Christmas in winter! :D

6. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    In Pennsylvania we call it pop, and we say highway not freeway lol

7. msfantastico87

msfantastico87 Joann the Goblin Slayer

It's funny that this thread is coming back to life because I was having a conversation about this with a co-worker today. She thinks I'm Canadian but I'm not. I was born and raised in Rhode Island. New Englanders, apparently, are the most like Canadians. I say "Eh" a hell of a lot. I always say Pop. I call it a highway and not a freeway. Then after really getting into HIMYM, I started pronouncing the letter O like a canadian lol (or should I say lack of pronouncing?)

8. SlayerFest

SlayerFest Wiley Dairy Gnome

Black Thorn
    I've always said that when I retire, I'll move to Vancouver. It's so beautiful there...but it's also kind of boring. It's a nice place to chill and relax, but as soon as I came back home I went to Venice Beach and I didn't realize how much I missed that crazy guy in the speedo. I can't even imagine how those poor souls who to come L.A. to visit must feel. LAX is so dirty and confusing compared to the airport in Vancouver. Canada is much cleaner. It's also much more family oriented than the US. You get a year off work with half of your pay when you have a child in Canada...you get 6 weeks here. Not cool.

I used to think that too as a kid, I would always say, "You guys are making me mad. I'm moving to Canada!" or, "I can't wait til I'm older...I'll be in Canada and you'll be in a box." I wasn't the nicest child.

The Chosen: whoa! that post is a blast from the past. a whole year? insane!
  9. Hale Caesar

Hale Caesar Sunnydale Nerd

I love being Canadian....free healthcare FTW!

Blaze: Some very old karma here :P But I only live like 4h from you! haha
  10. ckg927

ckg927 Potential

Yes, Schwartz's is still around. (and like everything else, they have a Web presence.)

11. FaithsFollower

FaithsFollower Thank Goodness It's Buffy

Sineya
    In fact, I'm pretty sure ol' William Lyon invented the phrase, "It's Hammer-time!", before MC-what's-his-face took ownership of it. :p

Oh, I feel like I'm at home here...except that this has the last date as January 2012. Not cool, not cool.

:: lugs in a big screen tv and puts on a Leaf game. ::

12. This Year's Girl

This Year's Girl Grateful grapefruit

Sineya
    And I love being swedish! :D

13. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    Canada eh!!!

well...just dropping by to say hi to any fellow Canadian, dam I love my country!

(now if anyone know what I'm talking about, let's just get rid of Stephen Harper, please and Thank you!)

Ethan Reigns: +1 on ditching Harper.
  14. Lilac1

Lilac1 Townie

Wow a Canadian thread. I love you guys. Lol I am a proud Canadian. I say eh all the time. But never once have I said or heard anyone say aboot. I have no idea where that stereotype came from. Lol Hockey is DEFINITELY the world's greatest sport. It combines the hitting of football, the fighting of boxing, the hand eye co-ordination of golf and lacrosse and on top of all that they do it on ICE :)

Most beautiful Canadian women:

Elisha Cuthbert, Estella Warren, Cobie Smulders, Kristin Kreuk, Pamela Anderson, Avril Lavigne, Shania Twain, Anna Paquin, Rachel Blanchard, Malin Akerman, Rachel McAdams, Jill Hennessy, Neve Campbell, Ellen Page, Nelly Furtado and Trish Stratus.

I guess men too:

Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds, Joshua Jackson, Taylor Kitsch and Hayden Christensen.

Funniest Canadians:

Will Sasso, Norm MacDonald, Howie Mandel, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Seth Rogen, Michael Cera, Jay Baruchel, Dan Akroyd, Eugene Levy, John Candy, Tommy Chong, Michael J. Fox, William Shatner, Tom Green, Phil Hartman, Rick Moranis, Leslie Nielsen and Martin Short.

Now for all us Whedon fans:

Nathan Fillion, Jewel Staite and Donald Sutherland.

OHHHHHH CANADA!!!

P.S. We sincerely apologize for both Justin Bieber AND Drake. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive us.

Blaze: At least Drake did Degrassi, that slighty redeems him haha
  15. Vamp Jenny

Vamp Jenny Guest

Joshua Jackson & Nathan Fillion ARE Canada's best looking men!

And Justin Bieber is 2nd worst mistake we ever made (after the re-election of Harper... which Quebec is NOT responsible for in any way, may I add!) XD

16. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    How soon we forget Celine Dion.

17. SinisterPledge

SinisterPledge Shipping Lander!

Not from Canada but love Canadians!

Sure you've got Bieber and Dion, but Jim Carrey makes up for that! :)

Now when are you going to give up that old queen across the pond? ;)

18. Vamp Jenny

Vamp Jenny Guest

Hey, that's my cousin you're talking about :p

19. Lilac1

Lilac1 Townie

Celine Dion made an appearance when Buffy's college roommate had her poster on the wall so she is ok in my books. Lol any Canadian content on a Buffy episode is a plus.

Blaze: bahaha totally forgot about that
    Frooley: lol that girl was SOOOOO annoying