1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Help Are The Comics Worth Reading?

Discussion in 'Season 8' started by Kellie Wilson, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Kellie Wilson

Kellie Wilson Townie

So I was adament I'd never read the Buffy comics as I was pretty happy with how S7 left off (bar the death of Anya :() then earlier this year I found myself wanting a new adventure in the Buffyverse and I bought S8.

I enjoyed the comics, albeit I have to read twilight a few times to get my head around it all, enough to read them in every spare minute and I enjoyed how liberated they were from budgets or scheduling conflicts with actors and I was able to see into Oz's and Riley's life again but at some points I definitely found myself thinking they were abusing the lack of budget or CGI restrictions and it just got silly *cough cough* Warren.

Despite how quickly I pounded through S8 in Spring, I've been in no great rush to buy 9. I've read some reviews that say they rein it in and some that say they lose the characters (which I can see). The comics are a lot of money and I'm not really left with gaping holes of what's going to happen next (maybe cause I know about the Dawn/Xander/Buffy no magic need magic Dawn dead thing) so I wanted to get people's opinions who are more up to date with the comics/quit.

TL;DR: I've read S8, should I stick it out or is it better to just remember the show for the genius it was?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Guy likes this.
  2. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    I think that season 8 is the best of the comics seasons, but then again, many people will tell you that the later comics seasons are much better. You'll have to see for yourself. Anyway, speaking for myself - I love the comics, so, of course I recommend them. They're not as consistently good as the show, but they keep my favorite characters alive, and they always entertain me, and every once in a while they'll blow my mind and remind me why 'Buffy' is my favorite show of all time. But that's just me.

I will say this - I always felt that the "don't let sequels ruin the genius of the original" argument is nonsensical. The original stories will always be there, and they will always be just as good as ever. New stories can't ruin the old ones. The new comics might be great, or they might be okay, or they might be terrible, but they could never ruin the original show. The Hobbit films, for example, are terrible, but they don't hurt my enjoyment of the original 'Lord of the Rings' films at all.

Also - in seasons 9 & 10, the Buffyverse comics split into a main 'Buffy' series and a spin-off 'Angel & Faith' series. And in season 9, the 'Angel & Faith' spin-off was much better than the main 'Buffy' series, IMO, so make sure to read it too, if you'd go for season 9.

3. Priceless

Priceless You're my dog, y'know?

I have read all the comics and so far I would say Buffy season 10 has been the best, although season 9 had some great stories that I wouldn't have wanted to miss. They do lack consistency and Season 9 Angel & Faith is much better than Season 9 Buffy, but S10 Buffy is much better than S10 A&F, which is probably one of the reason they have cancelled S11 A&F (although Angel will get his own run next year)

I have to be honest and say I would keep reading the comics no matter how bad they were, just because I love these characters, so my judgement is not at all impartial and I am deeply biased :) I would also say that if you are a dedicated Spuffy shipper, you will enjoy the comics (hope that isn't too much of a spoiler), but if they are not your ship the trajectory of their story might not be to your taste and put you off

Forever Spuffy and GoSpuffy like this.
  4. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I read BTVS season 8, and am not sure if I am motivated to read season 9 and 10. That being said, I really want to read Angel & Faith season 9. I'm mad that Angel & Faith is cancelled. Where is Faith going to go??

Priceless likes this.
  5. Priceless

It is a shame that A&F has been cancelled. I can see Faith turning up in the new Angel comic for a one off story, just to see where she's at, but tha's not a lot for a main character like Faith. I also wonder what they can do with Angel by himself, because he and Faith work so well together.

Faith fans should definitely read Angel & Faith S9, it's a great season, with entertaining stories and an emotional through arc. S10, not so much :)

Guy likes this.
  6. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    I wonder if she'll go on to Buffy at all. And why do they think a solo Angel comic will do better without Faith?

7. Priceless

I don't know why they would thing Angel will do better on his own, he and Faith worked well I thought, and I don't know what Angel can do by himself that he couldn't do with Faith. In S10 they do split up for a while, and that doesn't work, they are much better together. But maybe they have some fantastic ideas they want to try out we will be pleasantly surprised.

Faith could move over to Buffy, but I am not sure where she'd fit in and how they would use her. But it might be interesting to see. Though of course A&F had a whole team around them, and they can't all come over to Buffy and I'd like to see what happens with them and I can't see the writers side lining Fred having just bought her back

Monkey Pants: If anything I think Faith should have her own series, like we never got to see.
  8. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I think the first half of S8 is the best along with Angel & Faith S9. I loved the character directions in S10 but the dialogue isn't as sharp and snappy as S8.

I feel that you should read and judge for yourself because each person has a different opinion on the comics - as well as the TV show.

Guy likes this.
  9. Priceless

@Monkey Pants: If anything I think Faith should have her own series, like we never got to see.
    I would have liked to see Faith in her own series, she would have been great. She and Giles work well together and he could have gone with her

Guy likes this.
  10. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I wouldn't mind Faith getting her own series as long as Giles is there -
    adult sized Giles
    - they make a wonderful team and their friendship was one of S8's highlights.

Priceless and Guy like this.
  11. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett Satsu Otaku

Sineya
    My opinion: the first half of season 8 is as good as anything the TV show ever did. The second half was disappointing in some ways, but the season is still very worthwhile. Season 9 was hit or miss, with the Angel & Faith half being better overall than the Buffy half. In season 10 that reversed... the Buffy story was pretty good and the Angel & Faith story was kind of a letdown. I definitely like the writing/art team of Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs.

Season 11 starts in November, I think, and will be only 12 issues long. Also Joss is supposed to be writing a Giles miniseries, which hopefully will pan out better than the original miniseries he was supposed to have written this year (not for Buffy).

Priceless and Guy like this.
  12. Priceless

Would love a Giles miniseries, so hope that happens. Maybe Faith will be a guest in that one, unless it's to be set in his Ripper days

Guy likes this.
  13. FranklyBoredNow

FranklyBoredNow Townie

S8 is a bit messy imo and the whole Twilight arc went down like a wet fart for me. There is some fun to be had though, with Time Of Your Life in particular being great fun.

In the middle of collecting the rest of the canon comics. Really like S9 so far and looking forward to getting into Angel & Faith.

14. Kellie Wilson

Kellie Wilson Townie

Thank you so much for this as its very much my stance of "I am so deeply involved in this world that I will never turn down a further taste of it" but I am really not a Spuffy shipper at all, they're my least favourite however S6 was my favourite season so its not like it tarnishes anything for me. I was skeptical of A&F because I knew it had been cancelled but then I quite liked the pairing in Angel so I wasn't sure whether to pursue that or not - would sooner have had a deeper insight into Giles and Faith S8; I loved that pairing!​
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 19, 2016 ---
    I am a comic fan so the medium definitely doesn't phase me. If anything, it makes me admire the actors even more so that they created such a strong characterisation that it can still be carried without them nearly 20 years since the show aired! Yes though you're completely right about originals vs sequels, it could never diminish my love for them I'm just worried about some of the new arcs? Having said that I preferred S8 Willow than TV Willow from 4 onwards. Would you say you need Buffy and A&F in the later seasons to truly understand whats going on in the Buffyverse at that time? And do you think Nick's addition to the writers has any effect on the stories?

(Sorry to bombard you with questions! I don't have any Buffy friends and its so nice to talk to people invested in the show!)
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 19, 2016 ---
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who's taken their time out to provide insights on this for me! I think I'm going to buy the first few editions of 9 because I just can't resist further Buffy stories! Do miss SMG though, always wondered if any of the Scoobies follow the comics (bar Nick obviously)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  15. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    I started reading S10 online for free and got absolutely hooked. I'm now buying and collecting them. I want to get the "library editions" I've heard about and I've been checking out used book stores hoping to find them for a good price.

16. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    [​IMG]

Season 8 Willow is fantastic, but... You didn't like Willow in seasons 4-7?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can enjoy 'Buffy' without reading 'Angel & Faith', and you can enjoy 'Angel & Faith' without reading 'Buffy... But it IS better if you read both. There are crossovers, and there are characters that switch from one title to the other.

I think the issues he co-writes are generally funnier, and have better dialogue. He seems to be good for the comics, IMO. But he doesn't write that much, and really, he isn't "a writer". He works with the main writer, Christos Gage, and gives him ideas and helps with the dialogue and stuff, but he never writes anything by himself. Which is probably the ideal situation - writing requires a certain professional skill that Brendon doesn't really have (and Christos Gage DOES have), but as a writing partner, he can contribute a lot, due to his intimate familiarity with the characters.

Oh, please don't be sorry!

[​IMG]

We're all fans here.:)

vellavu likes this.
  17. Kellie Wilson

Kellie Wilson Townie

I did not like latter Willow :( I loved loved loved her as the big bad in S6 but I didn't like the person she became. Her characters feels much stronger in S8.
    That's good then! I buy the library editions are they are easier to get hold of in the UK than the volumes so I will probably end up buying A&F eventually but the seasons do end up costing a fair bit and the Buffy seasons take precedence so I'm glad I can follow the books without as I didn't follow S1 Angel adjacent to S4 Buffy and I knew what was going on, was just better rewatching both!

Ooooh that sounds interesting, I assumed he wasn't a writer-writer but I was definitely looking forward to bringing his insight from the character side of the show. I know Xander is a love-hate character but I think he's fab! I didn't think S8 dialogue was that bad but I get the impression Joss becomes slightly more withdrawn through the seasons with other projects.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 20, 2016 ---
    I get the library editions actually, they aren't too expensive in the UK. The volumes work out more but its so stressful having to wait between paydays for the next part of the story because I read them in no time haha! Where did you read it online?

18. Riderofapocalypse

Riderofapocalypse Potential

Personally, i would suggest that you spend your money on other things. I really hope i'm missing something amazing with the newest season/issues, but i stopped a bit farther than you are now. For me, the comics became a confusing mess which continuously crept away from the feel of the Buffy TV show (Although 'Frey' and 'Angel: After the Fall' were cool and the Angel one was amazing). I believe such, so much so, that i started to get into fan fiction in search of something Buffy related i can enjoy because of it.

So, because you mentioned money, i would suggest checking out free Buffy/Angel fan-fictions to get your fix. Yes lot of it is shipping crap, but there are some gem's in there that i'm sure people on the site can attest to/direct you to.

19. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    That's fair.

[​IMG]

Be warned, though - you can read all of season 9 of 'Buffy' without reading season 9 of 'Angel & Faith', but don't jump to season 10 before you finish both parts of season 9 ('Buffy' AND 'Angel & Faith'). Season 10 of 'Buffy' IS significantly influenced by season 9 of 'Angel & Faith'.

20. Kellie Wilson

Kellie Wilson Townie

Thanks for the heads up on that one! I know what my student loan is going on :D

Guy likes this.