1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Are there any other Buffy fans that dislike OMWF?

Discussion in 'Season 6' started by dcai0830, Sep 11, 2017.

1. dcai0830

dcai0830 "Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."

I honestly hated this episode. I realize I'm probably in the minority. I'll tell you that I'm a HUGE fan of musicals so its not that I don't like musicals, because I do really really like musicals. But for me it was taking the format of my favorite show and threw it in this incredibly different medium. I thought the actors sounded OK, although I find James Marsters voice nasally and annoying while he was generally on pitch. But overall this episode really reminded me of the fact that Joss Whedon in Season 6 was like screw it I'm going to do whatever the hell I want. And so he did. And it was weird.

Are there any other fans out there who didn't like OMWF ? If so why???

2. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

I don't like OMWF. I actually can't stand musicals. The only one I can stomach is Grease, otherwise I dislike people singing in a narrative because that would never happen IRL.
    However, on Buffy at least it made sense in a mythical world where a demon could make people sing. Still, I would rather them just have summoned a demon that makes you tell the truth by talking instead of singing.
    So my hatred for the episode is that I just can't stand musicals because I thought it made sense considering the show is fantasy.

3. smgismyqueenjpg

smgismyqueenjpg I'm not a QUEEN! I'm Khaleesi!

Black Thorn
    You 2 are in minority. :)

4. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    I like it myself . And unlike a lot of musicals there was a good reason they were & what they said /sung was what they were thinking without them just saying it . And while it was the truth if they had done where they told the truth it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun .

Plus Spike unlike Angel can really sing . I love him singing Rest in Peace .

BTW that esp is one reason I dislike Xander .

5. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Yeah I'm a fan. I think the songs are good, and for the most part the performances are strong (don't get the hate for SMG, think she's decent for a non-singer). Also there is a purpose and the songs do add to the characters or the season arc. Its a bit overrated, but it never fails to lift me if I'm feeling down.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  6. ChaseRules

Sineya
    I think myself that Amber & James are the best singers . Too bad Alyson didn't sing :(

Puppet and Mr Trick like this.
  7. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

ASH has a great voice too, its just his song(s) are not my favourite of the episode. I do like how they worked around people like Alyson and Michelle who couldn't sing. Michelle's scene with the demons (and that cool little dance) were well done and fit the tone of the episode.

8. ChaseRules

Sineya
    Everything was pretty nice . I like that scene where a bunch of people are singing "They got the Mustard out " :D

And Michelle did sing the first part of a song too .

Mr Trick likes this.
  9. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Did you buy that Xander really summered the demon. Or do you think he was just covering for Dawn?

ChaseRules: I think Xander did call up the demon . Why else would he leave ?
  10. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    I'm not a fan. I don't know, musicals in general make me uncomfortable. They're just not for me. The more I've watched OMWF over the years the more it makes me cringe, because singing. I feel like as an episode it is quite narcissistic and it just stinks of Joss' ego.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  11. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I loved it when it first came out, even though I was WTF about Xander summoning Sweet because it never made sense to me. I thought the songs brought out people's fears out in the open. How did Xander go an entire song "I've Got A Theory" about what causes the singing without confessing that he did it?

Dawn summoning Sweet and Xander covering for her makes the most sense, but I know that it's not canon.

Fuffy Baith and Grace like this.
  12. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer "I got these evil hand issues..."

Black Thorn
    I avoided this episode for a long time...but after I heard Amber sing, I just swooned. Oh! And of course, Emma's performance on "It must be bunnies" was hilarious. Just loved it.

However, Nick and Sarah were awful. Thank God for the fast forward button.

Mr Trick likes this.
  13. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

I cannot express how much I love this episode and Sarah's performances are the clear highlight. Amber is also very good - Under Your Spell, the reprise and the way her voice comes in to compliment other songs.

For me, there is somethings inspiring about Buffy's attitude. She's all, **** you, I'm not happy!

14. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I love musicals anyway, so OMWF was made for me. I love that the characters are singing their truth, and cannot help but reavel themselves. The cast did really well, with ASH being my favourite, but even the non-singers did really well and were pretty good.

I didn't think they knew it had anything to do with the necklace or a wish until Sweet told them, so I wasn't surprised Xander didn't think it had anything to do with him until right near the end.

Fool for Buffy and Puppet like this.
  15. Athene

Athene Scooby

The songs are lovely but I can just listen to the songs and skip watching the episode, it saves time and I'm not too bothered about missing the plot. So while this episode would probably not be in my top ten it's not a bad watch for the songs alone :)

TamsinValencia and Fuffy Baith like this.
  16. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer "I got these evil hand issues..."

Black Thorn
    :p

HowiMetdaSlayer: one of the worst songs in my opinion
  17. nxGangrel

nxGangrel Totally not checkin' you out B

I thought they were fine. It was Marsters' voice that I found to be pretty shaky in some lines. And I know Alyson didn't want to sing much because she said she was awful at it but frankly I would've liked to hear more of her voice, no matter how bad she might be.

Also, I can't be the only one thinking of this, what if Angel was in this episode?
    OH MANDY! YOU KISS ME AND STOP ME FROM SHAKIN'...

ChaseRules: And we al know how much Angel hates singing :)
  18. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I'm kind of ambivalent towards musicals, but I get why 'musical fans' would enjoy this episode as much as they do. It does its job.

It is a good episode of tv but some of the enthusiasm for it seems extreme to me. Whedon's self indulgence seeps in and I cringe at most of the spoken dialogue. Maybe he should have stuck to writing lyrics.

Actually, this has reminded me that I generally enjoy his writing but some stuff he does with certain characters is just a fail for me. His writing of Tillow, for example, does my nut in. It is so twee and infantilized and just eye rollingly awful.

GwenRaiden likes this.
  19. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I'm not a musical fan although I do like Grease, Nine, Moulin Rouge, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, a bit of Glee, etc. My liking or disliking of a musical depends on how good the music and the singing is, and also on the lyrics. I value originality as well, something that lacks in most musicals which follow the same formula. I tolerate unoriginal music if it has funny lyrics or is a bit of a parody, for example.

To me, OMWF is full of bad singing, so so lyrics and unoriginal melodies. I find it terribly boring and uninteresting. Some of the singing is a bit cringe-worthy as well and the episode itself isn't that entertaining.

20. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Wow there's a lot more people against OMWF than I thought. When I first watched it, I was bingeing season 6, and thought it was OK. But since, I've watched it multiple times and love the songs. I just listen to the songs a lot. So now, I do love the musical. I like musicals in general, but not a huge musical nerd, there's a lot I haven't seen. I didn't really care for La La Land.

Yea, it doesn't make sense that Xander would summon the demon. Dawn has the necklace, was there a ritual or something that Xander would have done to summon Sweet? It'll be explain enough for satisfaction.

sosa lola and Priceless like this.