1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Best way to read comics

Discussion in 'Season 8' started by Slayrunt, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Slayrunt

Slayrunt Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?

i want to start reading the comics but I don't know where to start!
    Should I buy them digitally and read them on my phone or are the comic books good too? Help!

Also any heads up about the stories in the comics?

2. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Call me old fashioned, but I think that nothing beats the feel of a real book in your hands. :)

Plus you get the benefit of the beautiful full page artwork you get in each issue (I know you could get that on your phone but it wont be the same on a tiny little screen)

Some of Jo Chen's artwork is stunning!

3. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
  4. Slayrunt

This is true! Some of the artwork I've seen is really nice! Is there one place I can buy them all consisntely or have u purchased them from a few different places?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 17, 2017 ---
    Thank you so much! I have no idea how I'm going to feel about them as everyone seems to have mixed opinions but I'm going in open minded! I'm excited for season 8.
    Do you have a favourite season of the comics?

5. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    I would suggest the Library Editions after a quick sample to see if you like the comic format.

6. Slayrunt

The library editions look so nice.

7. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    They are nice. Good value as well if you haven't bought anything previously. They are huge though, so you need space for them.

8. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    As well as each series I bought a book called 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Panel to Panel'. It's A4 format & 224 pages. There is very limited text, in most cases just giving the name of the artist, but sometimes a short background to the picture. Basically it's crammed full of the Artwork from S8 & S9 of Buffy & some from the first Season of Angel & Faith.
    Excellent book :)

9. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    As for the correct order of reading the comics, it kinda depends on HOW MUCH time and money you want to invest, because there are stuff that aren't essential, but I'm gonna list everything canonical here anyway, in the optimal reading order:

- 'Fray: Future Slayer'
    - 'Tales of the Slayers'
    - 'Tales of the Vampires'
    (Sidebar: 'Tales of the Slayers' and 'Tales of the Vampires' can be bought together in one big sexy book, called 'Tales')
    - 'Spike: Asylum' (not strictly canonical, but it does introduce elements that later appear in canonical comics. Also, I just think it's very good)
    - 'Spike: Shadow Puppets' (Ditto)
    - 'Angel: After the Fall'
    - Buffy season 8
    - Buffy season 9 (which runs concurrently with 'Angel & Faith', which is also a canonical comic)
    - Buffy season 10 (Ditto)
    - Buffy season 11 (The current season. There's gonna be an 'Angel' series running concurrently too, but it hasn't started yet)

You COULD just start with 'Angel: After the Fall' or season 8 and continue from there, and you'd still understand the stories... But you'd definitely enjoy those stories more if you read the preceding comics first.

As for a "heads up" about the stories:

Season 8 is a very COMPLICATED story, and quite a departure from the show, stylistically. It isn't just a Buffy story told through comics, it is more like "Buffy: The Comic Book", with everything that that entails. Some people had a lot of trouble with that departure, but I personally think it is absolutely brilliant, and the best of the Buffyverse comics. It IS very complicated, though, so pay close attention. It's also incredibly FUN, and surprising, and moving, and thrilling, and dramatic, so, it's totally worth it IMO. And it takes some HUGE risks and does some big twists, so, keep an open mind.

Anyway, even if you hate season 8 (which many people do), you should know that the later seasons bring the style closer to that of the TV show, so, you might still want to give them a chance.

Last Watcher: There's the Willow standalone that fits in there too!
    The Ferg: Nice summary!
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  10. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I really loved S8 because it took the characters to new directions like the TV show. S10 was great in the sense that it was more grounded, also Xander gets a good arc - he's my favorite obviously. But the dialogue in S8 is better IMO.

Slayrunt and Guy like this.
  11. Slayrunt

Wow thank you so much for this! Who knows how long it would have taken me to figure out the orders of them lol. Im not too concerned with th money side of things cause I can just get them over time rather then all at once. I do love buffy and want to treat myself. But if I was to start at the top of that list does that mean it's straight after season seven? Or are the comics before season 8 not apart of the actual story? I think that makes sense

12. Priceless

Priceless Can she cram complex issues into a nuthell or what

Are you a big reader of comics anyway? I wasn't used to reading comics so I had a lot of trouble with S8 on first reading, but I would say give it a bit of time then read it again, it's much better second time around as it loses the shock factor. Plus you know things will get better in S9 and 10 :)

13. Slayrunt

Do all the seasons come in the library editions? I feel like they're probably the best way too go and they'll look so nice on my bookshelf ha
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 17, 2017 ---
    I've actually never read comics in my life! But I love the show and I'm excited knowing the series continues so I think I'll warm to it easily. I also love hearing everyone's opinions on them.. just have to wait and see how I feel!
    Like I said I'm just so excited the series is still going I'm sure I'll love them

14. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    Not all of them yet. I'm not sure what's happening with Season 10. So far in my library book collection:
    Tales
    Angel: After the Fall Premiere Edition (this might prove tricky to get hold of)
    Buffy Season 8 - 4 Books
    Buffy Season 9 - 3 Books
    Angel & Faith (season 9) - 3 Books

I'm sure @Mr. Pole has mentioned the existence of a Frey library edition before but I've never been able to find it.

15. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I've only read S8, S9, S10 and now S11. I didn't bother with the other comics and was able to follow the story just fine.

Slayrunt likes this.
  16. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    They are out of print. Have been for ages. I did find a used copy that a bookstore has here.... I doubt you would be interested in it. And, believe it or not, of the 5 places I found it THAT was the cheapest.

The Bronze: Damn my budget certainly won't be stretching that far!
  17. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    You're very welcome :) I always want to make more people like the Buffy comics, I think they're very underrated.

The first one is 'Fray: Future Slayer', which, as the name implies, is about a slayer in the future, centuries after Buffy. It's not a continuation of Buffy's story, but it IS a continuation of the Buffyverse, and it is tied to the Buffy story in all sorts of interesting ways.

'Tales of the Slayers' and 'Tales of the Vampires' are just collections of stories about slayers and vampires through the ages, but with a sort of thematic through-line running through them all. They do contain appearances by some of the main characters of the Buffyverse, so yes - they influence the main storyline.

'Spike: Asylum' and 'Spike: Shadow Puppets' take place during season 5 of Angel... but you should probably not think too much about the timeline when you read those comics, or you'd get a headache. As I said, they're not canonical, and they're sometimes inconsistent with other stories. They do introduce elements that appear in the canonical comics, and they're well-written if you forget about the timeline issues. Just think of them as fun adventures with Spike, no matter when.

'Angel: After the Fall' IS canonical (although some people may disagree about that... Canon is a complicated thing in the Buffy comics). It is a direct continuation of season 5 of 'Angel'. So, obviously, it is part of the actual story.

Season 8 starts after 'Angel: After the Fall', timeline-wise.

Also, you should buy the library editions of season 8 & 9. If you'd buy the individual issues or the trade-paperbacks, you might miss some of the mini-series or standalone issues.

Slayrunt likes this.
  18. Mylie

Mylie Potential

I had the same problem as you a couple of months ago. I didn't know where to start, how to do it, etc.

I started with After the Fall, Then Fray, then season 8 and now I'm on season 9 (reading both btvs and angel and faith at the same time).

I've been reading them online with the intention of buying the ones I love after. I already ordered Angel and Faith : Live Through This, Daddy Issues and Family Reunion on amazon. I can't wait to read them again in book format.

Question : I still haven't read tales of the slayers and tales of the vampires. Should I read them asap or it can wait after I catch up on the seasons?

19. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    You can wait. They're fun but not crucial to anything really as far as I can remember.

Mylie likes this.
  20. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Well, they introduce some stuff that you see in season 8. But since you already read season 8, you can finish season 9 before you catch up on 'Tales'. @adema66, however, still hadn't read season 8, so...

Slayrunt and Mylie like this.