1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy allowing Ford to be turned

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by Jules, Jan 29, 2016.

1. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    Well, Ethan Rayne was taken by the Initiative - which I actually find scarier than anything to do with them. If humans who practice magic can be taken, why not take Willow? But that's another thread.

Anyanka Bunny Killer and Wildfly like this.
  2. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    Well Ethan loved causing chaos so in his case I think he deserved it . Who knows how many people he killed over the years.

3. bespangeled

bespangeled Scooby

Black Thorn
    Probably less than Dahmer. So the govt decides which humans are good and which are bad? They can keep some locked up in confinement forever? Nope - not for me.

Kinda makes me wonder how many Willows they did lock up - she's lucky Riley knew her, just like Oz is lucky. Hell, even a slayer is a mystical being. Sorry - pet peeve.

If you feel like keeping on this topic, how about making a new thread?

Wildfly likes this.
  4. ChaseRules

Sineya
    I game if you are .
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 13, 2016 ---
    You want to start it then ?

bespangeled: Go for it!
  5. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Jotunheim

Black Thorn
    I think Buffy chose to leave Ford to his fate because:

1. He admitted that his "friends" were essentially cannon fodder...and he had no problem with the fact that they'd die horribly.

2. Even if she is the Slayer, she's also a teenage girl; with all the complexities that entails. Ford, an old friend (and former crush), came to Sunnydale SPECIFICALLY to betray her: trading her life for the chance to be a vampire. That had to sting a bit.

3. Ford admitted that he only had six months to live. Plus, he was in excruciating pain much of the time. Perhaps Buffy felt that she was doing him (and possible future victims of his) a favour.

Mr Trick: All good point.
    Mr Trick likes this.
  6. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    ^

4. Or maybe she thought that if he was turned, she would know where to find him when he rose from the dead and would be able to stake him rather than have him possibly go to an unknown location where she would not be able to stake him.

sk73 likes this.
  7. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I just watched the ep and I have to say, I don't feel so much that she allows him to be turned, as she leaves him there because she has no choice. At that point he is at the bottom of the stairs, knocked out, with at least four vampires including Spike. Buffy's at the top of the stairs using Drusilla as leverage to get out (get Spike to back off for a second). Trying to get Ford out at that point would have been risking her own death because it would have given Spike and his cronies time to act against her. I'm not sure what better option she had really.

ChaseRules, Priceless and Mr Trick like this.
  8. ChaseRules

Sineya

Agreed . Plus that way she could be sure Ford wouldn't kill anyone since he was bound to be turned soon since he was free to do things .

9. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Regardless of her motivation, Buffy consciously left a living person in a situation where he would be at least killed, and most likely turned. That puts an entirely new perspective to her later accusation, "Faith, you KILLED a MAN," doesn't it?

Buffy left ford in a situation where he was sure to be killed by a vampire when she could certainly have done something about it. That goes contrary to the very basis of why the Slayer was created in the first place. Did he get what he deserved? Certainly. But that is no real excuse.

Most likely, Buffy left him there, knowing that he would either be killed, in which case, he got what he deserved for betraying her, or he would be turned, in which case she would be perfectly justified in dusting him for what he did. Either way, to Buffy's way of thinking, he got what he deserved, either way.

10. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    But can you save someone who doesn't want to be saved? Regardless of the situation she was in, where she had to choose whether to fight four vamps to get to him or leave them, Ford never wanted to live. I'm sure he would have put up a fight had she tried. Buffy's smart, she knows when to flight or flight. Four vamps plus a victim who doesn't want to be saved is not good odds for the slayer.

It's different with Faith; she did actually physically kill a man. You could argue they're much of a muchness, it's still a human death, but not everything is black or white in the B-verse. Ford didn't so much get what he deserved, as he got what he wanted. The fact she ended up staking him was par for the course really.

Carrie Hopewell and Ethan Reigns like this.
  11. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Black Thorn
    Exactly. She had a choice and she chose to leave him there. If it had been Dawn (or Xander, Willow etc) we all KNOW that she would've found a way to get back in there to save them.

12. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

But it was a very limited choice and its easy to pass judgement when your not in that position. Ulitmately Ford did not deserve saving for his actions and Buffy had to make a judgement call to save the others. I think she got it right.

13. Priceless

Priceless You're my dog, y'know?

The difference being that Ford didn't want saving. Buffy would have been risking her own life to save someone who would have been fighting against her. Ford committed suicide by vampire and Buffy couldn't have saved him.

14. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Let's not forget, Ford was willing to let all those other people in the club essentially be vamp chow just so he could be immortal.... he was willing to sacrifice not only his own life, but also the lives of innocents. Buffy saved those people, she did the right thing under the circumstances.

Priceless and Mr Trick like this.
  15. ChaseRules

Sineya
    Key world is save them. The only way Buffy saved all the people is by taking Dru hostage .
    If it had been any of those you said she could have used Dru to get them free. But Ford didn't want to be saved .
    He wanted to be with Spike & Dru so the question is how do you save someone who doesn't want to be saved .

16. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Black Thorn
    How do you know I was not in that position? We've only just met.

17. ChaseRules

Sineya
    Good point there :D

Mr Trick: Fuck she's got me there!
  18. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Well because lets face it Anya was only ever a supporting character who wasn't fit to breath the same air as Buffy. Besides which she could barely keep Xander in line:p

19. ChaseRules

Sineya
    Funny thing about that was Anya was a demon & the only girlfriend Xander had :p

20. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Black Thorn
    You're forgetting Cordy. :p