1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy and the Social Worker

Discussion in 'Season 6' started by DeadlyDuo, Jul 23, 2017.

1. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

I disagree. First off, I doubt that Doris believes in magic, since regular people aren't supposed to be in the know. And I don't know where you live, but weed is considered a drug in the states. It's only been recently that many states are making it Legal, and back in 2002 im pretty sure weed was only legal for medical purposes in California. Either way, it doesn't look good to have drugs around to a social worker.

Also, it does matter who is living there. EVERYTHING is the social workers business. Who is living there, what is happening, what kind of job the guardian has. It's all under scrutiny to make sure that the child is safe and secure. I don't know where your getting this idea that having strange men and drugs around are not a big deal to social services.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 25, 2017 ---
    Also, you may be right that Willow living there is not a bad thing, it's the fact that Buffy LIED about it that makes her look unreliable and unstable.

2. flow

flow Male Vampires are stupid. Throw rocks at them

I am sorry, but I am not a native english speaker. I was assuming that weed is an unwanted plant (something you have to take out if it grows in your garden) and that the word has only been additionally been used as a synonym for Marihuana or Cannabis in the last decades. That of course would not mean that weed cannot be weed anymore. That is why I asked if it was confirmed that the weed that was lying around in Buffys house was drugs. I ask again: Is drugs the only meaning for weeds ? Or can weed also be something els, eG unwanted plants ?

If every visitor of every household with an underaged teenager would be under surveillance of social Service, we would have a lot of work to do.

Someone actually living in the household is of course a completely different matter. But I think we agree that Willow is no threat to dawn. It remains nothing else, that Buffy lied. And that was really stupid but nothing else.

Flow

3. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

@Athena said "If Dawn had been taken away, Buffy would have actually understood the consequences of her actions and maybe not harassed a poor woman who was just doing her job"

To which you replied: "But child welfare should be about the welfare of the child and not about teaching the parents (or the sister who takes care) a lesson."

Doris is a part of that. It is her observation on Dawn's living arrangements which would set in motion any action taken on Dawn's case. Doris is thinking of Dawn's welfare, not teaching Buffy a lesson.

It is social services business to know who is having a contact with the child. For all Doris knew, Spike could've been a drug dealing pimp. It's no good just going "he's Buffy's boyfriend and that's all we need to know". Doris needs to make sure Dawn is safe, a strange man who Dawn visits and has contact with is going to be of great interest to social services.

As @GraceK said, magic and the supernatural are kept under wraps from the "normal" people in town. Buffy's claim it was "magic weed" only makes thing looks worse. That was quite a lot of weed in the bag and it was just left out on the table. How does Doris know Dawn isn't being exposed to that? Doris wouldn't be doing her job if she just ignored it.

Doris asked if anyone else was living in the house because she needs to know who Dawn is having contact with. Spike's name would've definitely gone down on the observation especially when Buffy lies that the blanket is a security thing because of "issues". Buffy could've mention Willow, Doris would've put her name down and probably would've wanted to talk to Willow as well. It's the fact that Buffy lied about Willow that raised eyebrows.

Doris was made to take the rest of the day off because it looked like she was going crazy. As I've said before, social workers have heavy enough workloads and are stretched enough as it is. Because of Buffy's actions, there would be one less social worker, meaning her work load is then put on someone else who has to handle her cases as well as their cases. It would've taken time to get up to date on Doris' case files, time that might not be an option fro some kids.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 25, 2017 ---
    @flow a weed is an unwanted plant, but it is also the common name used for marijuana. When it's sat in a bag on the table, it's hardly going to be a dandelion.

GraceK likes this.
  4. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

Ah ok I see what you meant. So WEEDS, or a WEED would be considered a unwanted plant in a garden or something. Weed is another term for marijuana. So in that particular episode, it was a bag of SAGE I think, used for spells. But it looked like a bag of marijuana, which is why Buffy got nervous and said it was " magic weed", which definitely did not help matters lol

5. flow

flow Male Vampires are stupid. Throw rocks at them

I never said anything to the contrary. I only said, it would be wrong if social workers would think their job was to teach the parents a lesson instead of thinking of the welfare of the children. I never said Doris acted like that. I was referring to a theory not to Doris.

I do understand what your aiming at with your original post. But we have way too less facts to assume that any child was ever in danger because Doris took half a day off. It might just as well be that her collegue looked into her files and paid attention to a crisis case Doris had simply overseen. By this Buffy would have saved a child.

Or maybe just nothing happened.

Flown

6. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

Bitter experience, talking with others who were involved in it, and research. Even California can be horrid at times, but sometimes it works as it's supposed to.

Really, I could go and on about this topic, from my own experiences to article after article.

GraceK likes this.
  7. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    It is not up to a social worker to decide whether a child should be taken out of a home. Child Protective Services has to present its case to a Family Court judge and make a motion to remove the child and the proof has to be rigorous as in a criminal case. In this case, Doris would have asked for an Order of Supervision (what the show calls probation) which would allow for regular visits from a social worker, something that is routinely granted for cases where the welfare of the child is suspect but there is no evidence of an immediate threat. Doris explicitly stated that this was what she recommended and not removal. At age 15, even if an order of wardship was granted, Dawn would not be gone for long - Social Services only has jurisdiction up to age 16.