1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy Classics

Discussion in 'Comics' started by Foxy, Jan 22, 2017.

1. The Ferg

The Ferg Mine is an evil laugh!

You haven't read the final volume of After The Fall!? You're seriously missing out. Franco Urru finally comes back and LA's hellish makeover ends in spectacular fashion. On the subject of IDW comics, if you really want more, I would definitely say to move forward first. After Whedon left the project, the series went on for 44 issues. Like most Buffyverse comics it was pretty inconsistent, but Vol. 6 (or issues 23-27) reads as an epilogue to AtF and adds a little much needed levity.

As you've probably noticed, I'm a little over the top when it comes to useless knowledge regarding the expanded Buffyverse. I don't even like a good chunk of the stories, but the OCD in me makes me pretty addicted to the ongoing process of researching, collecting, and deciding whether it's canon or not. It can be quite overwhelming, but for someone like me who just wants to absorb as much as possible about this universe, it's kind of perfect. I can't wait to hear your thoughts!
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 10, 2017 ---
    If you're really just going to read old comics on this site and then buy the good ones for a dollar used on Amazon, I suppose that's fine, but I vehemontly oppose using this for newer books. You can find pretty much any trade on Amazon for less than $10 and actually support the creators, and you have many options for new monthly comics. Just go to a store. Most people live within a 30 minute drive from one, and if you don't, there's always Comixology.

2. Geobubbles

Geobubbles Can I play with the puppy?

Black Thorn
    Thank you so much for this, been wanting to read the comics for ages! I was reading a lot of season 8 today and got up to the faith part when this started happening every time I tried to load the page and if I wait for it to properly load Jelly Splashes just fill up the page :/ Screenshot_2017-02-10-17-19-30.png You wouldn't happen to know how to fix it would you?

3. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    This is true, but I still really liked ONE thing about Faith from that arc - the moment when Angel is waiting for her outside the prison when she gets out, and they hug. What can I say? I'm a softie. That moment got to me.

The Ferg: Oh yea me too! That whole opening in LA with Angel and Faith was actually great and really got me invested in the coming story.
  4. Mylie

Mylie Potential

I actually lied. I read Spike : After the Fall after issues 1 to 12 and enjoyed it. Then I read volume 5 of After the Fall and hated it so much I decided to stop there so it wouldn't taint my enjoyment of the issues that were considered canon. I forgot about this because I only have the first 3 volumes of ATF and it was before I read season 8 but looking at Goodreads, I remember it all now lol

5. The Ferg

Oh ok good! I was super worried.

And yea, Aftermath is just absolute garbage. It's probably one of the worst Buffyverse comics ever published. The next volume (6) is a direct continuation from After The Fall (basically ignoring Aftermath), and it's really good, but still... I've went on to read the whole series before, and every time it boggles my mind how they could be so stupid to put out a story like Aftermath, after the huge success of AtF. The writer had no idea what she was doing, and the art looked like it was from the 90's. IDW had a chance to make the Angel license into a comic staple, but they just completely dropped the ball. They picked it back up later, but the damage had already been done.

6. Mylie

Mylie Potential

oh so the rest of ATF isn't like Aftermath? I'll give it a shot then! I think Aftermath might be partly responsible for my reservations when it comes to non-canon material. It's really unfortunate that the first I read is the worst of them all lol.

7. The Ferg

Yea it is unfortunate, but also not your fault. I mean, IDW clearly promoted it as the continuation of AtF. I think most people just thought like you did: "Hey, that was good, I'm gonna keep reading!" There is literally no other comic like Aftermath. They had to have figured out pretty quickly that that style was not working. The numbering and labeling are a little confusing so here's the skinny...

After The Fall
    1-5. Vol. 1
    6-8. Vol. 2- First Night
    9-12. Vol. 3
    13-17. Vol. 4

Aftermath
    18-22. Aftermath (Vol. 5)
    Last Angel in Hell (Vol. 6)
    23. Epilogue (starring Gunn. Leads directly into Angel: Only Human)
    24-25. Drusilla's First Night (cowritten by Juliet Landau)
    26-27. Boys and Their Toys (Angel and Spike swap bodies at Comic-Con)
    Last Angel in Hell One-Shot (an in-universe movie about the exploits of Angel and co in HelLA, but the "writer" got a few things wrong.. for one, Spike isn't a girl. It's hilarious)

The End (not the official name, but it is the title of the big hardcover that collects these next three books)
    28-32. Immortality for Dummies (Vol. 6)
    33-38. The Crown Prince Syndrome (Vol. 7)
    39-44. The Wolf, The Ram, and The Hart (Vol. 8)

There's a bunch of other books that came out during this time too:
    Angel: Only Human (starring Illyria and Gunn... not Angel)
    Spike: The Devil You Know
    Illyria: Haunted
    Lorne: Music of the Spheres (one-shot, a tribute to Andy Hallett telling the tale of Lorne's death)
    Angel: Blood and Trenches (set during WWI)
    Angel: Barbary Coast (set after Blood and Trenches, art by the glorious Franco Urru)
    Angel vs. Frankenstein I & II (both set in the past)
    Angel: Yearbook (the final IDW comic, one-shot with 7 shorts)

And finally, there was an 8-issue Spike "ongoing" series that was released near the end of IDW's tenure that is 100% canon, leads directly into his appearance in BS8, and has the same creative team as After The Fall. It's essentially the conclusion of the Spike meta-series, after Asylum, Shadow Puppets, and Spike: After The Fall.

Well there I go again making lists. I hope this is mildly interesting/helpful. The only comics I would highly recommend you buy asap are Volume 6 and the Spike series. Nothing else is really amazing, but they're pretty entertaining if you like IDW's take on the lore and characters.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    thetopher and Mylie like this.
  8. Mylie

Mylie Potential

This has been very helpful. I'll try to look for Last Angel in Hell tonight after work.

And I don't mind you making lists, they make things easier to understand!!

9. The Ferg

Pro tip.. It might be a little hard to find the hardcover. It seems to be very expensive on Amazon. If you're not against it, I'd recommend trying to find the single issues if possible. The cover art is just a beautiful as the BS8 covers, and if you do a little snooping around, you can easily find them (and the rest of IDW's Angel) in quarter/dollar bins at pretty much any comic shop. Here in Omaha, all four shops I go to regularly all have a significant amount of those old issues on clearance.

Mylie likes this.
  10. Foxy

Foxy Potential

Sineya
    Wow! I was only gone for a week and this thread blew up!!! So happy to see people talking about the classics finally :)

I personally do not care whether the buffy comics are canon or not, because usually, I'm not so big on that. I think any Buffy story officially published is canon, but that's just me :) And I forget the parts that I dislike or are out of character.

@Mylie if you are interested in buying them you ought to look at the collected omnibuses. They are not the chronological order the comics were published but in chronological order of the seasons.

I just finished omnibus 6 and started 7, but I got sidetracked because I was reading To Kill a Mockingbird!

I have not read anything from Angel except the crossover 'episode', but I'm looking forward to After the Fall as I've heard some pretty insane things about that.

Mylie and The Ferg like this.
  11. Mylie

Mylie Potential

Well I decided to stop at the library today and found the Buffy Omnibus Volume 4 so I'm starting with this one and I'll see if I like it before I start buying all the series.

Tonight I read the Bad Blood arc and it was okay-ish. I hated the artwork at the beginning but then it got better around the middle. Some of the dialogue was very bad though. Then I looked at the number issues and they're part of the season 3 mess TheFerg mentionned earlier so I guess they're not that representative of the rest of the series. It still made me want to read more so I don't regret reading it even though I had told myself I wouldn't touch those season 3 issues.

12. The Ferg

The fourth Omnibus is kind of a perfect place to start if you're just trying to test the waters.

I enjoyed Bad Blood well enough. I thought it handled the early Dark Horse comics approach to Buffy storytelling pretty well. You wouldn't believe the jump in quality between Bad Blood and what came before it. Like I said earlier, everything after Bad Blood reads as 'lost episodes' of the show. Up until that point Dark Horse was trying and failing to create their own tone and atmosphere, separate from the show. They wisely stopped doing that soon, and I think Cliff Richards art (as well as Jeff Matsuda on covers) was a major influencing factor in that regard.

The only other noteworthy stories in the fourth Omnibus are issue 20 (Double Cross) and Bad Dog. They definitely don't push any boundaries, but I think they're both pretty fun in their own right. Both are written by Doug Petrie so some might consider them both canon.

Mylie likes this.
  13. Mylie

Mylie Potential

Yes, I was thinking after reading it that this might have been a food idea to actually start with a story that wasn't that good after all because now the bar is lower. I noticed such a big difference in the artwork quality during the 1st and 2nd half of the story and went on the wiki page to see who did it. I'm really glad Cliff Richards did the 2nd half because I saw he's responsible for so many btvs comics. Joe Bennett, on the other hand, I'll try to avoid because ishhhhh.

I'm really excited to start the lost episodes written by the script writers. Bad Dog is my next story.

14. Mylie

Mylie Potential

I read Bad Dog and enjoyed it a bit more but it's still not something I'd want to read again and I also don't feel like I want it to be canon. Still, it felt closer to what the show sounds like. Especially Oz.

Then I read Hello Moon/Cursed/Dead Love and oh boy... Hello Moon was okay-ish but Cursed is one of the worst things I've ever read. So many continuity errors in that one (Darla and Angel's old friend calling him Angelus as if it's his original name... and the irony of his friend being called Liam..., the way he woke up when he became a vampire, etc.) but it was probably made before AtS. The dialogue was also atrocious. I hated the whole thing. Dead Love had the same kind of structure as Cursed but I still fail to understand how the flashback related to anything that was going on in the present... and the idea of Buffy reading Giles's journal to pass the time was kind of laughable. So this one was not a good experience but at least it wasn't long and I keep telling myself that I'm getting closer to the good stuff. Hopefully?

The Ferg likes this.
  15. The Ferg

Well you won't be getting it in that Omnibus, that's for sure. I think Bad Blood was pretty solid and Petrie's two stories were fun, but seeing as you didn't like them very much you've still got a little while to wait. The change in tone and direction begins at issue 21 with Blood of Carthage which is included in the fifth Omnibus. To be honest though... I hated Blood of Carthage. It came off as try-hard to me. It marks a significant change in the comics, but you still gotta wait a bit longer for the good stuff. Who knows though, maybe you'll dig Blood of Carthage?

16. Mylie

Mylie Potential

I checked and I have 120 pages left out of 408 pages so it's not that bad.

I'm happy I didn't buy the 4th volume though because I don't think I would ever touch it again after reading it once.

I'll go pick volume 5 and 6 later today so maybe I can take a look at Blood of Carthage tonight!

17. The Ferg

Looks like you've got Stinger, Mall Rats, Spike & Dru: Who Made Who?, Angel: The Hollower, and #20: Double Cross left.

My guess is you'll hate Stinger, mildly enjoy the cuteness of Mall Rats, and feel indifferent toward everything else. :p Double Cross is the other Doug Petrie one.
    I liked the change of pace in The Hollower. The writer (I think Christopher Golden?) really set out to make it feel different from Buffy.

18. Mylie

Mylie Potential

I've just finished Haunted and wow, this is what I wanted from the comics.

Amazing story, the artwork was lovely. All characters had something to do and it sounded like them and everything worked with the canon (from what I can tell). We even got to see Cordelia leave to go to L.A. and The Initiative/Maggie/Adam stuff was a nice touch. I loved all the Buffy/Faith stuff.

I do want to consider this one canon. :)

The Ferg: Finally! :)
  19. Mylie

Mylie Potential

I finished The Blood of Carthage. I enjoyed it less than Haunted but I'm still glad I read it. I mostly found the story/action boring but I enjoyed the characterization a lot. Buffy's struggles with college (motivation, etc.) and juggling it with her slayer duties, the Willow/Xander drama linked to their past relationship, etc. I felt like they were the characters I fell in love with and that's what matters the most to me in reading the comics.

Because I didn't really care about the Vraka and Ky-laag stuff it did feel a bit long and I wanted it to end sooner but I still loved many elements from it.

I have to say, season 4 is a perfect season for lost episodes. I think it's because it's a new chapter in the Scoobies life and it's such a light season in general that any addition to it is fun.

20. The Ferg

Well I'm glad you liked it! I couldn't stand it. I did appreciate the character drama stuff, but it felt tacked on to me... Like the writer was way too focused on telling some big bombastic epic, that could never be done on the show, rather than telling a compelling story in it's own right. I guess I just didn't feel like the drama was enough to warrant the plot.

Yea, the demons were super boring, and it was way too long. It would've been way better with 4 issues, instead of 5.

I totally agree. They actually spent 14 issues on Season 4, so they must've agreed to. I can't wait for you to read Past Lives!