1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy Classics

Discussion in 'Comics' started by Foxy, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Mylie

Mylie Potential

I definitely agree with this. I enjoyed it for the scoobies interactions and dynamics, but like you, I didn't really feel the plot and wasn't really interested in it except for what it meant to the characters. I think one of the problems for me is also that lost episodes work if the plot isn't complicated or meant as this epic thing that happened and have effects on the characters. Because for me, if that was the case then those storylines should have been on the show and we should have seen a fallout from it. For me, lost episodes work if they can fill gaps of things we couldn't see on the show. They shouldn't create gaps.

The Ferg likes this.
  2. Mylie

Mylie Potential

I just noticed this post!! I went to check back on the list you provided earlier to see what you said about The Heart of A Slayer because I just finished it and realized I had missed this post for some reason.

You make me want to put down volume 5 a bit and go back to volume 4 to see if your predictions were correct lol

Oh and by the way, I enjoyed Heart of A Slayer alright but I felt like there wasn't much direction to the story. It was ok. I'd say I enjoyed more things in Blood of Carthage but at least this one didn't go on forever, so I wouldn't know which I prefer between the 2. Oh and Riley getting attacked by the monster had absolutely no repercussions? Like what was the point of that? We don't even see what happens to him after he gets knocked out, it's weird.

3. Mylie

Mylie Potential

I finished Omnibus volume 4!

Stinger/Mall Rats/Who Made Who were really underwhelming.
    I hated The Hollower. It had so many continuity issues, didn't feel like Angel at all and the artwork was horrible.
    I love the idea for Double Cross, it had a lot of potential and some moments were nice. But the artwork was a bit weak and the part about Angel losing air because he's getting strangled... made little sense lol.

So in general I'm not a fan of volume 4 but I'm still glad I read it and even more glad I finished it and can now fully move on to volume 6 and beyond.

4. Mylie

Mylie Potential

ok I'm pretty much talking to myself in here lately but I just wanted to say I also finished volume 5 tonight!

I enjoyed it a lot more than volume 4. Haunted was the only one I really loved but there were some good stuff that I enjoyed in all of the stories. The Oz one was interesting and worked really well with what happened on the show.

5. The Ferg

The Ferg Mine is an evil laugh!

Don't worry I'm still reading every post! I just don't have much to say some time. Oz is actually one of the few stories I skipped. Did anything else stand out? Past Lives was my favorite from the Omnibus 6, and the quality overall gets quite a bit better in my opinion. This is when Tom Fassbender starts, and he stays on for a while.

6. Mylie

Mylie Potential

I guess Blood of Carthage also stood out for the characterization which I loved. But the story itself was meh.

And Cemetary of Lost Love was fun.

I haven't read Omnibust 6 yet but I'm excited to read it. You've mentionned Past Lives a few times and now I'm really intrigued.

7. Mylie

Mylie Potential

I just read City of Despair and sfdhsjdhbjfh

I loved it a lot, probably my favorite short story so far.

Buffy's stuff with her mom was nice and I loved Bangel seeing each other in that dream/universe. It was well thought. And then the fight and hug. The whole thing felt very much true to their dynamic which I loved. I think it's the first time I really feel like this is really Bangel while reading the comics.

8. The Ferg

Hey, sorry I've been pretty lazy about forum posting lately. Have you gotten through any more comics yet?

Unfortunately, City of Despair was one of the stories I didn't get to, so I can't really comment on it... although you are making me want to check it out lol.

9. Mylie

Mylie Potential

Yes, I've read Jonathan, Giles: Beyond the Pale, One Small Promise and Punish Me With Kisses. They were all just ok though Punish Me With Kisses is kind of adorable. I wasn't a fan of the episode Superstar so I didn't enjoy Jonathan much even though I could tell the quality of the writing was better, etc.

I've started Past Lives last night. I'm a bit put off by the artwork but I'll try to keep an open mind.

10. The Ferg

Don't worry, Cliff Richards still does the Buffy half.

Mylie likes this.
  11. Mylie

Mylie Potential

I finished Past Lives and I enjoyed it a lot! It wasn't perfect by any means but it did give me some aww feelings. I loved seeing everyone together again (Cordelia/Xander, Giles/Wesley, Angel/Giles and of course Buffy/Angel). Angel's feelings about Alexa reminded me of how he felt about Faith when she was at her worst. You can tell he wanted to help her and he felt responsible and like her anger was justified but at the same time he doesn't really want to die? And it ended up being more than about him too so. I'm confused about the timeline though. Where would this crossover take place within season 4? Angel knew about Riley so it had to be after The Yoko Factor but it can't really happen there because Primeval kind of happens soon after that and the scoobies were not on speaking terms between those 2 episodes. It's probably after Restless but before season 5 then?

I'd say it's my 2nd or 3rd favorite story so far after Haunted (and maybe City of Despair, I wouldn't know which I prefer because I wasn't a fan of the beginning of Past Lives while I loved the entirety of City of Despair).