1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy Classics

Discussion in 'Comics' started by Foxy, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    @The Ferg you ought to check out the lost slayer series. It is the best I have read so far.

Why do you think so many people on the board do/have not read the comics?

I think my favourite story is the slayer interrupted one. It pushes so many boundaries insuch an extrodinairy way! I love it.

Sorry that I have been so absent from this thread. I am just busy graduating from uni at the moment!

matt124 likes this.
  2. matt124

matt124 Potential

I can understand that, it can be at times. Reminds me I need to get so many more Angel's.

Oh yes that's right, thanks for reminding me. I forgot about that. Yeah I would say they are all part of Season 0. It truly does make a nice introduction to the Buffyverse. If only they turned these in television specials, or even a 6-part mini series prequel show.

I have season 8, 9 and 10. Also Angel After The Fall, Angel and Faith. I just don't have them all, and missing heaps there and there.

I am seriously just missing issues here and there throughout. So eventually, I gave up. I really haven't had a proper read of them, its like I just collected them and can't really read all the seasons, since I collected them by issues.

As for the Library Editions, I agree they look so wonderful on a bookshelf. But for me, I wouldn't buy them only based on space issues.

Those are all great points and yes I agree.

Couldn't agree more.

Yes, I read comics too. So I can understand the craze of it all. But I have to admit I still really really enjoy the classics stuff. I can't really answer which one is better, since I haven't read them all.

I have really enjoyed them from what I have read.

Not at all. I have done that too when collecting and wanting lists for stuff. So I know where you are coming from.

Exactly so, I truly see Ring of Fire that way.

Aww thanks. I will take it a step further, and say I actually made myself a Buffy timeline in Excel. Where I literally tried to piece exactly when each episode is set by date and working it out. I got the inspiration from the Lost and Vampire Diaries wikis.

Well seeing as you are not a real book reader. I won't give you my list. So I am just going to give you a few books. "The Lost Slayer", "The Book of Fours", "The Deathless", and "One Thing or Your Mother". Buffy/Angel Crossovers; "Unseen" , "Monster Island" and "Heat". "The Gatekeepers Trilogy".

Thanks. We really do have the same taste in the classic series. Exactly so.

As for Angel canon, mine is basically the same as you. I actually have to re-read more to add.

Also a number of Angel novels too. Infact you will be surprised they had a dozen set within the early season 1 days when Doyle was still around. Also a number before Jasmine took over Cordelia, and a few set between Spin the Bottle and Apocalypse Nowish. Assuming, Jasmine had not completely taken over Cordelia yet.

3. The Ferg

The Ferg Mine is an evil laugh!

*Googling now*

I think most people view them as pointless. As much as I enjoy the comics, I totally understand. There has been some great stories, but nothing truly measures up to the magic of the show. On top of that, most of the old comics don't bring anything new or innovative to the table. They're all simply your basic monster-of-the-week formula (most missing a falling action) that gets resolved within an issue or two and doesn't add anything to the characters.

Wow, good luck! And no worries about the thread.. it's not like there's that much to talk about when it comes to a 20 year old forgotten comic series. I'm just happy that there's a few people to share my love with.

4. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    There is actually a bunch of good Buffy books. They are really hard to come by for me here in the Netherlands, but I think it will be easier for you. I try to pick them up whenever I can.

I think a lot of people feel like that yes, especially that they feel that they don't add anything to the characters. After having read all the comics, from both the classics and the current series. I feel like they add a lot to the series, especially the classics as they do tell very interesting stories. Of course there are some terrible ones, but there are some that are incredibly mind blowing or just sweet lovely stories. I love the Tara/Willow stories of just them or the one with Dawn as well. These are little gems that the show could never really do, because it always had to be about Buffy.

I think there is plenty to talk about ;) I do really think you should start reading the buffy books, yes some are horrible, but there some really great ones!

matt124 likes this.
  5. The Ferg

That could've been potentially awesome. Can you imagine them hiring younger actors and doing it now? My favorite thing about the pre-S1 stories are that they follow Angel and Giles' journey to Sunnydale as well. That was a welcome surprise when I first read them through.

Well that's mildly depressing. You gotta catch up man! I found myself appreciating the post-S7 comics even more after reading the classic stuff. Plus, you shouldn't have any trouble finding the stragglers, assuming you live somewhere close to a comic shop. I've started to notice that all of the shops in Omaha have been throwing old Angel and Buffy stuff in the quarter bins, so I can't imagine you having much trouble finding them. If not that, you might just have to buckle down and get the trades. They're like less than $5 on Amazon lol. I have all the trades and issues (up to S10, which I just collected the issues), but the only Library Edition I have is the first BS8 one. It's amazing, and I try to reread it every few months. I'd like to collect the rest, but it's hard to wantonly spend $20+ on something that I already have two copies of.

I have a chronological order list, but I definitely haven't stepped into the realm of dates and timelines. How long did that take?

Awesome. I will be checking my local cheap bookstores for these.

6. matt124

matt124 Potential

Sorry for the late reply. Had a busy week. :)

How awesome would that be. I loved that they showed Angel and Giles coming to Sunnydale. Was so awesome. Only thing I truly wished they did to truly make it book-end the pilot, was end the last story of pre-s1 with Darla and then her taking her victim to Sunnydale High.

I know man, I will hopefully catch up one time. I am sure I can find the comics, so then I an finally start reading them in order. Best me to make a list on paper on what I need.

Yeah I know what you mean by that and having two copies. I have had that happen to me.

It took me a good 2 years to complete. But again that is because I put it off many times. So realistically without breaks maybe 3 months total.

I had considered adding in comics and novels, but that would of taken even longer. Only deciding to add in canon stuff like the pre season 1 stories, ring of fire etc.

Awesome, let me know when you do find them and read them.

7. The Ferg

That would've been super cool.

Well just let me know what you have and I can tell exactly what you're missing and how to find them. :) I fancy myself a bit of an expert on the subject.

8. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    You really are an expert!!! I barely remember the names of the arcs most of the time :p

9. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

I just finished False Memories and I loved it!

It really felt like it was part of season 5 and the dialogues were spot on. I really felt like these were the characters I love. And the Buffy/Dawn dynamic was perfect. I'd say it's my favorite arc I've read so far along with Haunted.

10. The Ferg

Totally agree. There were a few good stories before False Memories, but that's when the series finally hits it's stride and understands what it is. Every story after that is pretty solid too imo, besides Night of a Thousand Vampires. I was borderline offended after reading it.

11. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

Well since I finished Omnibus 6, it was time to make a choice and I decided to finally read Last Angel in Hell and then I'll start Buffy Omnibus 1 because I'm craving young Buffy at the moment.

12. The Ferg

Not a bad idea. The pre-S1 stories are great! Have you seen the movie? If so, I'm interested to see if you like the comic adaptation more or less. My favorite from the first Omnibus was probably... Viva Las Buffy. I assumed it was going to be lame, but it's actually a lot of fun and a little silly as well. Pike's reason for leaving is really believable and just a tiny bit sad. This is basically the "how the hell does Buffy go from leaving LA for Vegas, and then end up in Sunnydale sans Pike" story.

13. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

I watched the movie years ago but don't remember much about it other than the tone and some ridiculous scenes.

14. matt124

matt124 Potential

It would be wouldn't it.

Eventually, I might update my chronology, to include comics with proper dates one day.

What I am missing;

Buffy Season 8 Issue 29 and 31.
    Buffy Season 9 Issue 21 and 22.
    Buffy Season 10 Issue 7, 8, 9, 11 through 30.
    Angel and Faith Season 9 Issue 3, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18 through 23.
    Angel and Faith Season 10 Issue 6, 7, 8, 10 through 25.

I can't find my Angel After the Falls probably hidden somewhere in a box.