1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy fans and Angel Season 5

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by Bluebird, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    There seems to be a trend that if you prefer Buffy over Angel you enjoy Angel Season 5, if not the most. Whereas a lot of folk who prefer Angel over Buffy don't rate it very highly.

Do you agree?

Why do you think this is?

I mean, I guess it's more like a Buffy season in that it has a lighter tone (by Angel standards) and continues on the Spike saga. I do enjoy the season, but it's hard not to see how different it is from what came before, and you can see where it's changed to please the network. I know a lot of Angel fans thought it a bit of a disservice to the show that it was.

Mylie and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  2. Stoney

Stoney Spiked!

It doesn't follow for me personally. I mean I love both shows, but if forced to pick I'd go with BtVS above Angel, but AtS 5 isn't my favourite season for Angel, S3 and 4 are.

There are aspects of AtS 5 I don't like personally. Some of Spike's less admirable qualities are explored which is good for the overall character's progression and interesting but makes it less easy to simply enjoy at points. There is some inconsistency in characterisation from BtVS 7 but in ways that can make logical sense if you consider the character's insecurities and his dynamic with Angel as giving it context. Basically I have come to cerebrally appreciate the season for him as part of his overall journey regardless of not enjoying some of it as much, if that makes sense. :)

Plus I generally don't think it was a good choice to force the writing of a character into a season like the network did. Spike's my favourite character and his presence definitely worked well to push/explore Angel's despondency, but there were points when it felt that opportunities to explore existing cast members were just put aside or missed totally because they were focusing on the Spike/Angel of the season too much. After having followed the AtS gang for four seasons to get where they had by the fifth that was just frustrating. Gunn's path to S5 in particular I thought was really interesting. I wish we had seen more of his choices in the season and his responses to it all.

As for the tone changing. I think that worked with the group putting themselves out of their setting and being thrown off their paths by going into W&H. I didn't like the blaze of glory finish though. It seemed to me to still be getting it wrong, to go for a moment of victory over the original focus of being on the ground, helping the helpless. I did like that they finished mid-fight though, that the story/battle isn't over but is always the truth of the lives they choose. That did work well I think and of course the story continued anyway in AtF and on.

3. nightshade

nightshade Watcher Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I'm not a fan of season 5, too much change and not enough feeling of continuation from the previous seasons, plus swapping out Cordy for Spike, no thanks! Plus all the new cast, Harmony, Eve, Hamilton, Knox. I guess at least we had Lindsey back though, ti bring back some of the continuation.

4. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy "I wanna see how it ends"

Sineya
    This definitely applies for me. Angel season 5 is my favorite Angel season and I definitely prefer Buffy as an overall show. I will say that Spike has a lot to do with it, but there is a lot of other factors as well. For example, I couldn't stand Connor. I needed him to leave and everyone to stop having to interact with him. Also, I ship Fred and Wesley. So their situation in season 5 was great while it lasted plus the Illyria storyline was fascinating for me. Next, I love Lindsey and his story in this season. A big thing is I was pretty tired of Gunn up until this season. I'm not sure if this is a popular opinion, but Gunn the lawyer is my favorite Gunn. Harmony is great too, she has some really nice comic relief moments and I don't care that she betrays Angel because she should. Finally, this season does in fact feel more like a Buffy season for a couple of reasons. The one-off episodes are much more memorable. There is actually a "big bad" and a "final battle". Angel season 2 was really the only other season to end on a final battle, and I'm kind of indifferent about Pylea. The last reason is it deals with emotional high highs and low lows. A lot of Angel in the first four seasons I thought had a problem with having true big emotion that Buffy thrived on. But Angel season 5 provides the elation of Cordy's return and the heartbreak of her exit, the emotional gut punch of Fred, the crazy twisting of emotions in Origin, and a deserved very happy moment when Connor thanks Angel and returns to save him in Not Fade Away.

GraceK, Ethan Reigns and Hunga Munga like this.
  5. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I agree with you that Buffy fans do seem to rate Angel season 5 more highly than Angel fans but Angel fans rate that season highly as well.

I personally think that the season is definitely a disservice to the show. I get that Illyria and Wesley are memorable, and Spike is a fan favorite, but most of the season is nothing like Angel. The theme of the season - I assume it's corruption - as little to do with a character that can't be corrupted and is badly executed anyway. Season 5 is a bit like season 3 in the sense that the "champion" part of the show is forgotten about. Season 5 has too much Spike, lack of an arc (which is not proper Angel), weak stand-alone episodes, dirty humor and gratuitous sex, and the vibe of the show is all wrong. I don't find it very enjoyable for the most part. The second half of the show saves this season from being the worst Angel season by far.

Mylie and nightshade like this.
  6. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I did prefer Season 5 of "Angel," and I'm pretty sure that it's for the same reason that I liked the last 2 Seasons of "Buffy" more than the earlier ones. In both cases, that's when I started watching the shows regularly, and I had no preconceived notion of the characters, the set, or the story line. Arguably, "Buffy" became a more adult show with Season 6, and that appealed to me more than the high school/college years that I actually didn't watch until later, and I wasn't aware of Doyle, Cordy, Gunn, the detective agency, or the Hyperion Hotel set, so there was no conflict or great change for me to adjust to.

TriBel and Fool for Buffy like this.
  7. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Care to elaborate? I don't see how any character "can't be corrupted".

8. Riderofapocalypse

Riderofapocalypse Potential

Season 5 Angel isn't the greatest for me, but is still up there. Every episode was fun for me. And the near end to 'take down the man' was very enjoyable.

I don't think Angel S5 did a disservice at all.

9. Hunga Munga

Hunga Munga Potential

I confess to thinking of Angel season 5 as Buffy season 8 . I m in season 6 of a Buffy rewatch at the moment . I know it's wrong but I ll be straight onto Angel season 5 after 'Chosen' . :D .

I also love Angel as a body of work ; but not quite so often :) .

10. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    Season 5 is the answer to a question that would logically occur to someone watching the first four seasons. What would Angel (and the others in AI) do if they did not have the limitations and the hardscrabble existence of the first four years? It was like when Spike was captured by the Initiative and said, "I always wondered what would happen if that bitch got some funding." Now we get to see what AI would do if they got unlimited funding.

This is a story similar to winning the lottery. Now that you have what you want, what are you going to do? Season 5 is by far my favourite of all five seasons. Also, the first four seasons have us holed up in the Hyperion or other places which are dark and unpleasant but now we get a much brighter show that is shot in daylight.

11. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    I prefer btvs over ats and I only like S5 of Angel so I fit the profile. S5 was funnier than the others and Spangel was brilliant together. Cavemen/astronauts and you're a bloody puppet and the bike in Rome. Need I say more?

12. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

Shh...I'm a secret Spangel :)

GoSpuffy: Im a loud and proud Spangel. Angel is about a million more times interesting when paired with spike.
    GwenRaiden and Priceless like this.
  13. TriBel

TriBel Potential

It does - and - I agree. I put it down to testosterone (do vampires actually have it?) and the proximity of Angel. The relationship with Fred is a nice one but otherwise I find him very petty - a caricature. Angel's also petty (around Spike) but he has the gravitas to carry it off. In addition, the lighting in the W&H building is much brighter than it was in most of the locations in BtVS and I don't think it works in his favour. He loses his edge.

14. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Well I prefer BtVS and I love Angel Season 5, so textbook I guess! :D S5 has so many outstanding episodes that personally really stood out to me. I don't feel that with any other season of Angel.

Taake: You just have NO taste at all :P
  15. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I prefer Angel over Buffy but I still rank season 5 pretty highly :) I would have liked to see it followed by a darker season 6 though!

GoSpuffy: Ooooo a dark S6 with angel using Spike so he can feel??? Count me in.
  16. sk73

sk73 The Overlooked One

Sineya
    Hmm, I think Buffy is the superior show in more or less all aspects.
    But I still consider season 1 of Angel as the best one and also the one that reminds me most of BtVS.

One of the things I enjoy most with BtVS is the friendship between the scoobies.
    Personally I think they kept that pretty good over all seven seasons even though I do know many others think they lost that completely towards the last seasons.

In Angel however I only feel the same friendship in first season or so. Later the core group feels more like people who work together to me.

So for me does those first seasons of Angel feel more like Buffy and therefor are they also the best... :)

/SK

The Bronze likes this.