1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy, The High School Years

Discussion in 'Comics' started by Lyri, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Lyri

Lyri Buckle Up Tight

Sineya
    A new Buffy comic will hit the shelves in June 2016. Set during S1, it will be writtebn by Faith Erin Hicks and drawn by Manga artist Yishan Li. It looks like it's a one shot at the moment, with the possibility for more.

Here's an interview with the writer and some art that was released today.

[​IMG]

If you’re at New York Comic Con today, you may have already heard the news, but for those who missed it, Dark Horse Comics will be taking us back to Buffy’s high school years in a new, original graphic novel called Buffy: The High School Years – Freaks and Geeks, written by Faith Erin Hicks with art by Yishan Li (and cover art by Scott Fischer).Dark Horse has given us an exclusive first look at some of the artwork from the new book, as well as an exclusive interview with Hicks!

Teresa Jusino (TMS): Why should we revisit Buffy’s high school years? Haven’t we been there, done that? What is it about that period in Buffy’s life that warrants a re-visit? Is this about new readers, or do you think that long-standing Buffy fans have something to gain by going back to school with Buffy and the Scooby Gang?

Faith Erin Hicks: I’ve been thinking of this comic as as a lost episode of the TV show from early in season 1. It’s a fun story from early in Buffy’s Slayer life, when things were a little less complicated. Buffy’s in high school, recently moved to Sunnydale, she’d adjusting to her new life as the Slayer. She’s met Angel, but hasn’t yet dealt with all that drama. Buffy’s still tough and badass, but less experienced, and she makes mistakes because of that inexperience. I hope the comic will be for both new and old fans of Buffy. More seasoned fans will hopefully get a kick out of a brand new story from Buffy’s high school years, and because it’s not continuity heavy, a new fan with only a passing knowledge of the show could pick it up and enjoy a stand alone Slayer adventure. For me it’s a chance to get back to the core of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the excitement of seeing a superpowered teenage girl kicking all kinds of supernatural ass.

TMS: What drew you to writing this project? How did you get involved?

Hicks: What drew me to the project was the chance to work on a series that was formative for me. I started making comics because of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Seriously, I did! My very first comic, made while I was in college, was a rip-off (er, homage) to Buffy. It was about a superpowered teenager, her two friends, and the various supernatural goings-on she had to deal with while in high school. It was called Demonology 101, and I wrote and draw it as a webcomic from 1999-2004, back in the dark ages of the internet. Drawing that Buffy rip-off comic (er, homage) was how I fell in love with making comics, and why I now have this awesome career as a cartoonist. Seriously, 14 year old Faith is over the moon that an older version of her got to write a Buffy comic and Joss Whedon is vaguely aware that she exists. ;)

[​IMG]

TMS: Yishan Li’s art looks very inspired by manga and anime. It’s gorgeous! Was it a conscious choice to have an art style that’s kind of the ultimate “teenage girl” style?

Hicks: I love Yishan’s art, and I’m so thrilled to be working with her! I really wanted an artist that had a bit of the manga influence (I love manga), and drew in a clean, appealing style, to give the book a Young Adult feel. Buffy is younger in this story, she’s sixteen, still dealing with adolescence and homework and crushes, and I wanted an artist who could reflect that time in her life. I think Yishan is doing a fantastic job. I hope we get to work together again!

TMS: What can you tell us about what Buffy will go through in this story? Where are we in her Slayer-ness? How will she be tested?

Hicks: Buffy isn’t the tried and tested slayer of the later seasons of the show, or the in-continuity Dark Horse comics. It’s earlier in her relationship with the Scooby Gang, so her friendships with them are a little more tenuous. We’ll see Buffy’s relationships tested a bit, as well as her perception of herself as a good person. Buffy will have to deal with a villain who preys on her insecurities, who finds chinks in her Slayer armor. I don’t want to say more than that, spoilers!

[​IMG]

TMS: Wenoticed in the Official Synopsis that we might only be getting to know Giles, Willow and Xander. So, will there be no Cordelia mean-girl antics? Will any of the other Scoobs be introduced?

Hicks: Willow, Xander and Giles are all part of this story, and Cordelia makes a cameo. If the book is successful, Dark Horse might have me back to write more, which would be awesome. I’d love to dive into more Scooby Gang stories, and hopefully include Cordelia more prominently.

TMS: Is this an alternate history, or a retelling? Really, I just wanna know if she’s gonna meet whiny, broody Angel. (#TeamSpike)

Hicks: I’d like to think of this story as something to enrich Buffy’s history, a little something extra from her past. So neither alternate history or a retelling. It’s a fight she went through earlier in her career. A fight which might include Angel, we don’t know yet. If I get the chance to write more of these stories Angel might show up, or he might just hang out in a cemetery, brooding in the rain or whatever he does for fun on Saturday nights. ;)

Stay tuned for more news on the latest Buffy escapades from Dark Horse! Meanwhile, are you excited to return to Buffy’s formative Slayer years? Do you want to return to Sunnydale?

SOURCE

EDIT

This version of the cover show that Joss Whedon is the 'Executive Producer' of the project, so we can assume this will be considered canon.

[​IMG]

SOURCE

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    No! This is wrong. Just wrong. I don't want it to be a one-shot. THIS is exactly the type of Buffy story I would read. I want all of the HS stuff not shown on TV.

3. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    Hmm, yeah, I can see how the writer considers herself a rip-off.

C'mon, think of an original name!

Otherwise it actually sounds pretty good, and something I would read. Going back instead of forwards definitely appeals to me.

4. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    LMAO I thought the same thing. And then I thought, "I hope it won't be like that tv show" lol

GwenRaiden: Oh Buffy, Freaks & Geeks is the shiznit!
    Mr. Pole: Ugh. Way. You uncouth, tasteless heathen.
  5. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Why would that be so bad? Freaks and Geeks was the bomb.

Blaze: dam right it was!
    Buffy Summers: Ugh. No way.
    GwenRaiden and Blaze like this.
  6. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Oh man, this is the first time since - some time mid-season 8 - that I acutally feel like comics might be a good idea.

Mr. Pole: Exactly! It has to be more than a one-shot. It's a moral imperative.
  7. Lyri

Lyri Buckle Up Tight

Sineya
    I think if this sells well, they could do more, but to me, it just seems a little bit too much like those older comics, the ones that took place when the show was on the air, but didn't affect canon. There would have to be something really special about this.

But the idea of a whole comic and story without Spike feels really good to me, lol.

thetopher likes this.
  8. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I like the sounds of it. I'll probably buy it. I do miss Buffy in high school and her being the only one. I hope it's good and that they make more.

Monkey Pants likes this.
  9. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Ha!

I guess since the others weren't canon they didnt seem legit. I think having it be canon automatically legitimizes it- for good or bad.

10. EVIL UU

EVIL UU Scooby

Bring it on! It's more Buffy and as far as I'm concerned there can never be enough Buffy! Milk it dry, I don't care! Anyway, I like the art and the fact that it takes place in one of my favourite seasons is an icing on the cake. Looking forward to it.

Monkey Pants likes this.
  11. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    It would be nice if it started at Hemery in LA showing what she had to face, why she burned the high school down, what forced her to move to Sunnydale - all the stuff before she arrived tha is part of the story. You could also have the Watcher's Council tracking her and assigning Giles to her case. Let's back it up and take a run at it from the beginning!

Monkey Pants and Taake like this.
  12. Lyri

Lyri Buckle Up Tight

Sineya
    Didn't they already do that? I've never read it, but I thought that's what The Origin was all about? I doubt they'd go down that route if something already exists.

13. sk73

sk73 The Overlooked One

Sineya
    Sounds great to me.
    Some simple and fun stories are exactly what I want.

I really hope that they manage to get the dialog and tone right though.

/SK

Monkey Pants and EVIL UU like this.
  14. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    There, this could be neat. S1 is fertile ground for story telling. Lets hope its something good that focuses on Buffy and her friends and high school hijinks

Not sure about the name though.

Monkey Pants and EVIL UU like this.
  15. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Not appealing to me, unless they fast forward to S4. And the drawing... looks like something from the 90's... well, it fits then.

16. NothingVentured

NothingVentured Potential

I like the art in the night panels. The premise and everything else seems kinda... eh. This could be because I've read the first series Buffy comics and they're pretty bad.

Personally, I think the more fertile storytelling is between 3-4, 4-5 and 6-7, but I guess they want to stick with the less-heavy stuff.

17. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I actually like the art. It looks refreshing. Also, the high school years are so fresh and enjoyable. I don't mind going back. Time for less gloom.

Monkey Pants likes this.
  18. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    I think this sums it up perfectly, and what latter seasons were missing "it’s a chance to get back to the core of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the excitement of seeing a superpowered teenage girl kicking all kinds of supernatural ass."

Monkey Pants, EVIL UU and thetopher like this.
  19. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

And imo If it had stayed just that then the show wouldn't have ended up gaining the cult status that it did.

Also it would have ended up boring the hell outta me thats for sure. :D

So I'll probably give this a miss. Don't like doe eyed manga style art much nor season one style stories.

gite63 likes this.
  20. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I find it very telling who is interested in this comic and who is totally dismissive of it.

I mean, I like Wesley and Faith as characters but I'm still interesting in this 'filling in the Season 1 gaps' idea- plenty of material there. Even though this means that neither my favorite slayer or watcher won't be popping up. :)

Monkey Pants, EVIL UU and Lyri like this.