1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy, The High School Years

Discussion in 'Comics' started by Lyri, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

Now If Wes was in that would be a different matter entirely. :D

But good for you. Hope you enjoy it. :)

Taake: Never say never! I mean if Dawn can be a centaur then maybe Wesley will pop by Sunny-D ;) Alternate universes perchance? Probably not though...
  2. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Because there aren't people who will love it just because their least favorite characters aren't featured...

My least favorite seasons are 1 and 2, and as far as I know, many people here said S1 was the worst of all.

I'm not really dying to read about high school issues, grades, classes etc. But I'll buy it, of course, beacuse I like Buffy and to read and comics, so I will not be able to prevent myself spending money on it. And I have to read the issue myself to see if I like it, or if my first impression was right.

3. EVIL UU

EVIL UU Scooby

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the series perceived cult status the reason why it got renewed after season 1 in the first place?

4. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    o_O
    Where did I say 'least favorite?'

Unless you were attempted to tell me what you thought I was thinking? Nice try btw,;) but I just really like the idea of an expanded S1 with extra stories- just Buffy and Scoobies thanks very much. A different feel.

To be honest I've never come across a Buffy fan who thought Season 2 was a least favorite. Big Bad Spike, Drusilla and the heartbreak of the Angel/Angelus arc? Highlights of the series for many but whatever.

And for a lot of people the worst season was 6 or 7, not 1. :)

5. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    I mean is that not the point of some of the threads- if Buffy got a full first season what would you have wanted? Granted, we aren't getting some of the characters that we got in the second season, but Buffy is/could be getting a first full season and there is no more speculating.

thetopher likes this.
  6. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    No, you didn't say it - I don't know if you read this whole thread.

It was what you have just done in your post about what I think! :rolleyes:

And as you assumed (and posted it first) that I won't like this comic because Spike isn't on it, I will now say that you will like it very much because Spike isn't on it.

The first season is always critized, and is critized here as the worst - or the least liked; about S6, it's the second favorite of Joss Whedon, mine and a lot of people. :)

Mr. Pole: I would not say it's 'always' criticized.. there are many that like it.
    Taake: I've also always viewed season 1 as one of the least liked ones and most critizied
    Silverspike likes this.
  7. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

It'll be nice if they covered things that canon neglected to like meeting Cordelia and Oz' parents - especially Oz, I wonder if his parents know about him being a werewolf seeing as his aunt knew his cousin was.

gite63: And Dawn?
  8. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    That's why they need to make it more than just a one-off.. they need to at least finish out the first season. There are so many stories they could tell without having to contradicting canon.

EVIL UU and thetopher like this.
  9. thetopher

Sineya
    Exactly. That's why this has real potential. Telling stories in a new context without an army of slayers, an expanded Scoobie cast, less Buffy angst perhaps (certainly less Buffy-stupid) and simple stories well told.
    Hopefully.

The difference is that I never named anybody specifically. People could read and came to their own conclusions. The fact that you responded is your own business. ;)
    Please don't tell me what I think because it's rude and makes you seem incredibly arrogant.
    I've said why this comic idea excites me and it has nothing to do with the lack of certain (pervasive) vampires.

And yeah, I think that maybe some fans are a little too obsessed with one character or another. I think it miss the point of the show but again, I'm not naming names- people know who I'm talking about.

Wrong. Season 6 and 7 are often sighted as the weakest. There's even a 'would you have preferred Buffy to end with Season 5' thread. Several in fact.
    There are also a lot of 'completely rewrite Season 6/7 threads. Or threads about how to improve them/take something away. Numerous threads here.

As for Joss, He's had to defend S6 to a lot of fans and has stated several times that he regretted a couple of the directions he took with it. It was also SMG's least favorite too. :)

10. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    I think s6 (or 7 to an extent) would be a lot easier to get someone else into the show than s1, what with the Dark Willow arc for example. That's always been my experience anyway. But as a fan, I do prefer s6 to s1, and I do still enjoy s1 for the standalone episodes and the fact that I know what is coming i.e. "it does get better". The high school episodes were fun and dorky with a tonne of horror and sci-fi references, I loved them at the time, but they're hard going on a rewatch since growing up, I couldn't watch a show like that forever. There's a lack of suspense and substance, no real arc other than the main story. It felt like a series of short stories - that's what I enjoy it for, but it doesn't feel like true Buffy to me. Give me the pain.

If that makes sense. And for that reason I think the comics will be a great addition, and would far suit s1 compared to future seasons expanding arcs rather than fun little stories.

gite63 and Silverspike like this.
  11. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Yeah, you are smarter than me.

You don't tell me what I think. You were the one who had to say something about people who are Spike fans (that's was obvious); you just didn't say it to my face.

@ Mr. Pole

OK, not always, but in here there isn't much love for Season 1...

Silverspike likes this.
  12. thetopher

Sineya
    I get that. The high school years aren't for everyone, but many site S2 and 3 and the series high point and they too, are heavy on the MotW stuff.

I would also say that its easier to get a younger viewer interested in S1 and 2 rather than dropping them into the darker, more emotionally wrought plots- too confusing.

For the record I like S7 more than 1- but I recognise that that isn't a popular opinion. :)

No, just more polite. ;)
    You chose to reply to my post and explain your reasoning for preferring later stories. Unlike you I accepted what you said as honest opinion.

I didn't. That's the difference. :p

GwenRaiden: A younger viewer, yes definitely.
  13. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Please, stop stating that people are wrong. It's incredibly arrogant.

In this thread Choose your best and worse "Buffy" Season (s), S1 was chosen as the worst by 6 people, and S6, by 2 people (one of them being you). I didn't count my vote for S1 - then, it would be 7 people, nor the people who think that S1 was so so (4 people).

--- Double Post Merged, Oct 10, 2015 ---
    He said his second favorite season is S6. Sorry.

Nerd HQ 2015: A Conversation With Joss Whedon

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Silverspike likes this.
  14. thetopher

Sineya
    I didn't. I just said that YOU were wrong. After y'know, you called me wrong first and then started telling me my opinions...

I've seen polls/threads that say different. :)

Don't be sorry, I never actually disagreed with you. Just said that it was a bit more complicated that you simplistically stated.

Also Joss is well known for changing his mind on a regular basic about lots of things- ships, characters, favorite seasons etc.
    A lot of FANS tend to find S6 and 7 problematic, whereas S1 was just finding its feet as a show.

Again, not saying this is my opinion but it is something that many people voice. So maybe you could just let people enjoy a bit of nostalgia.

15. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    Oh, please, you use to tell people they are wrong quite frequently...

Silverspike likes this.
  16. Smile Time

Smile Time The Scattered One

Sineya
    My favorite season is season 6 (which a lot of people hate), but I like how it deals with reality and growing up (and shoves in shirtless Spike as well :D).

That being said, I also enjoy the high school years, especially season 2 :)

17. thetopher

Sineya
    Right, well in a discussion of opinions I do respect other opinions even if I disagree and say/think they are wrong. I usually give examples as to why that opinion might be wrong.
    Since this is a discussion board then that might not be unusual:rolleyes:

However, I don't call people names nor inform people what their opinions are, which are actually rude.

You have done both.

Incidentally I don't want to get into a 'which season is best' debate, but I respect if some people like the later seasons. I've said so in the past.

In an effort to get back to the OT I will say that, if they have a nice story to tell, then a bit of Season 1 nostalgia will be a lovely change of pace, so I'm looking forward to this. :)

18. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    I am baffled, but will smile and nod agreeably. ;)

Silverspike likes this.
  19. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Guys, please... just a little reminder to avoid correcting others, telling them their opinion is wrong, and just general snarkiness. You know the drill. Please, if someone or something is getting under you skin, take a breather instead of trying to one-up them in posts.

Mr. Pole: Would this be an opportune time to tell you your punctuation is wrong?
    gite63 likes this.
  20. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    Yes, yes, hell yes!
    High school, hellmouth and from the sound of the interview- no heavy romance (#TeamFriendships) .
    Honestly never thought I'd buy a Buffy comic again, but I'll definitely be giving this a try.

Fuffy Baith likes this.