1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Buffy, The High School Years

Discussion in 'Comics' started by Lyri, Oct 9, 2015.

1. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    That was already been done in In Vivas Las Buffy! (BtVS #51), a story placed before S1, published in 2002.

And Dawn is there, pestering Buffy.

2. NothingVentured

NothingVentured Potential

It depends what you mean by cult. It was renewed because it got decent ratings for the WB, had positive critical response and was very, very cheap for the Frog since Fox was willing to take a monetary hit.

I don't think being a cult hit every kept any series on the air (see Joss's other shows). If the network isn't making money, it's gone. People tend to call all genres shows cult. Even The X-Files has the cult label. I think one of the prerequisites for cult status is initial failure. The Buffy movie would qualify, the show not so much.

-
    I'm dismissive of the comic because of the interview and the company. I'm totally interested in Buffy by herself stories, but the interview just makes it sound like they chose S1 because it's the easiest as there's less characterization and mythology to work around. Badass but still makes mistakes. Buffy always made mistakes. I foresee another 'oh, not all demons are bad' story that they did a few times in the comics, but never had a foundation in the show. None of them ever went around wantonly killing demons other than vamps. Nearly 20 years with the license and DH hasn't produced anything very good.

But that's prejudice on my part. Being more fair, this the first female comic writer other than Jane and Amber (who just did W/T stuff) so it might be more in tune with the show rather than the more fanboy-ish look at it the rest of them have. She's a BTVS-first fan, rather than an AtS fan that decided to watch the other show.

That said, just going from the previews... Buffy has blue eyes (could be my monitor)? A vamp rising with 1992 on the headstone? The cover tracing a S1 headshot? Has a very on-the-cheap feel that doesn't bode well. I wonder who edited it...

Silverspike: "Nearly 20 years with the license and DH hasn't produced anything very good. " Exactly. All very sub parr at best.
    Silverspike likes this.
  3. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I always thought Buffy was a genre-bending show, rather than a cult hit.
    Genre shows usually set up some sort of intriguing premise to base the series around (like the X-Files) but BtVS played around with the 'teen horror' tropes to make it a bit more unusual.

4. The Bronze

The Bronze Rogue Demon Hunter

Black Thorn
    I'm not sure if I like the sound of this or not. It's no secret that the High School years are my favourite Buffy period and that I think Season 1 is very underrated but I'm not sure if I want to go back to it. I like that Buffy has time as a factor in the story. Something like this kind of paves the way for the reboot loop that you see with Marvel or DC characters. I'll pick it up and give it a try though. I wouldn't mind seeing Xander and Willow at Jesse's funeral and making some kind of decision to bury the pain etc.

5. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Ooh, I didn't even think about Dawn!

Will she be in the H.S. comics or will they be before the monks' DIY-human practice?

6. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    She had better NOT be in the comics as she did not EXIST! That would really go against canon.

GwenRaiden likes this.
  7. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I guess Dawn COULD be there as long as she doesn't actually DO anything significant (since she's a fake memory). Dawn should always be an observer, somebody off to the side and inconsequential to the actual plot, mostly ignored by people (including Buffy).

I remember the S8 'dream/flashback' thing where she appeared (looking about 11 or so) and just babbling annoying childish things. That was bearable enough.

I always hate how they tried to weave her into events in really stupid ways (being there when Buffy died in the Master's lair, getting taken hostage by Angelus, dumb stuff like that).

8. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    But she can't be there because she wasn't there. Unless it's Buffy's memories about 'the good old days' as that is the only place Dawn existed was in their memories. Seriously, that would be so disappointing if they put her in there as it is yet again rewriting canon and treating its fans like idiots.

9. NothingVentured

NothingVentured Potential

If it's actually set in S1, she wouldn't be there. It would have to be a memory of S1 since it's the memories that are fake.

10. gite63

gite63 Gone

Sineya
    NYCC 2015: FAITH ERIN HICKS PENS ALL-NEW ''BUFFY'' TALE FOR YOUNG READERS

NEW SERIES BRINGS BUFFY BACK TO HER ROOTS

OCTOBER 8, 2015—As revealed at the Dark Horse: CLASSIFIED! panel at New York Comic Con 2015, Dark Horse will deliver a new original graphic novel series titled Buffy: The High School Years, executive produced by Joss Whedon. The first volume will be written by Eisner Award–winning author Faith Erin Hicks (The Adventures of Superhero Girl) with artist Yishan Li. Together they’re bringing the angst, the action, and the cool to Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

“I’m thrilled to be writing a Buffy the Vampire Slayer comic; the TV show was a formative story for me. I loved it so much that the very first comic I ever created was a Buffy the Vampire Slayer homage. It’s beyond exciting to get a chance to write the real thing!” remarked Hicks.

Set during Season 1 of the television series, Buffy: The High School Years—Freaks & Geeks delivers classic Slayer action! Moving to a new school and making new friends will create enough anxiety for any teenage girl. But when you’re Buffy Summers, a vampire slayer—the Chosen One (with all that entails)—building a new life can be overwhelming.

A group of nerdy vampires, shunned by their cooler brethren, decide to climb the vampire social ladder by taking out the Slayer. They play on Buffy’s insecurities, wearing her down until she is full-on distracted by the mental warfare. But in addition to her Watcher, Giles, this Slayer has a couple of new friends, Willow and Xander, to cheer her on . . . except, of course, when they’re not getting along.

Buffy: The High School Years—Freaks & Geeks is in stores June 15, 2016. Preorder your copy today at your local comic shop!

SOURCE

11. EVIL UU

EVIL UU Scooby

In my opinion this does not mesh at all with the general tone of season 1 nor with the classic horror-influenced portrayal of vampires in that season.

Mr. Pole: Yeah, that sounds more like season 4 material.
    The Bronze likes this.
  12. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    This title actually has me a little bit worried. I'm not sure if that's just a headline that has been stuck on because of the High School setting or if it means the comic is specifically targeting children. It'll be a bit disappointing for the rest of us if it's for children only. Also I'm not keen on the art. I'm not quite sure why but the likeness just doesn't seem great to me. Fingers crossed it's better than I'm thinking it will be.

13. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    Has anyone read this yet? I just did, and I thought it was pretty short, but cute.

14. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    I thought it wasn't out until the 14?

15. The Bronze

Black Thorn
    Mine was delivered the this week but I haven't got round to reading it yet. I've fallen well behind with Season 10 as well.