1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Choices

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by GraceK, Mar 11, 2017.

1. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

so I'm rewatching Btvs season 3 for the millionth time and something has occurred to me.
    Buffy gets a lot of crap for wanting to save Dawn over the world ...and for not killing Angelus when she had the chance . But what about Willow? She had the perfect opportunity to stop the acension, but chose to save Willow instead. Wesley was actually correct, although of course we are supposed to hate him for saying it. But how many teenagers died on graduation because of her choice? Harmony became a vampire for goodness sakes, Larry was killed...and countless other students who didn't have a sacred calling to protect the world from demons. All of these deaths and all the destruction could have been avoided if Buffy had destroyed the box of Gavrok. Now clearly, I love Willow and would have
    Made the same choice. ..but from a purely heroic standpoint, did Buffy do the right thing? And how come no one calls her on this, but give her so much grief for everything else?
    Genuine question!' :)

Xanderectomy and Slayerofslayers like this.
  2. Antho

Antho Potential

But if she had destroyed the box of Gavrock, who can say what the Mayor woud have done ? Sure, He would take his revenge and persecuted Buffy and her family and her friends and all Sunnydale's population. He could do a lot of damage just for revenge. Decisions always brings consequences !

Slayerofslayers likes this.
  3. Slayerofslayers

Slayerofslayers We're going to destroy the world. Want to come?

The cool thing about wanting to save Dawn and the world is that Buffy didn't have to sacrifice someone she loved at the end of season five and instead sacrificed herself so that the world and Dawn would be saved showing that she was a hero in being willing to sacrifice everything for the people of the world and her loved ones. And she did kill Angel eventually it just took some time so I don't blame her for not being ready at first when it was someone she loves for her to have to kill. It's hard to say whether Buffy did the right thing with Willow because it's the classic argument of do the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few but again I don't blame her for choosing to save Willow because it was someone she loved and they were still able to stop the Mayor later on. I think most people would save their loved ones over strangers because we would feel horrible for letting someone we love and that loves us die as opposed to someone we didn't know. But again it's tough because either way you are making a costly sacrifice. I think they didn't call her on it because they all love Willow and are personally attached to her whereas with Angel and Dawn Buffy was closer to them then the rest of the scoobies were.

DeadlyDuo and Antho like this.
  4. GraceK

GraceK Grr Arrg

I am in no way saying that her decision was wrong. Honestly, watching the episode there was no other alternative. On a personal level. And that's where the question comes in...what does her duty require...and what's the cost? And I for one have never blamed Buffy for not killing Angel right away. I understand her motives. But the other characters did. Xander especially felt she was to blame for ms calendars death, and I know Giles did on some
    Level. Hell, in Revelations the scoobies all give her shit for hiding Angel...so even if we, as the audience sympathize, the cold truth
    Is that as the slayer, she should have killed
    Angel instantly....and let Dawn die. That's why Buffy is such a great character..because she doesn't conform.

What annoys me is that she did the same thing with Willow in this episode, for the same reasons, because she loves her, and no one except Wesley gave her shit. So it's horrible that she didn't kill Angel or dawn...but because everyone loves Willow it's okay? To me, it's hypocritical on the characters end.

BuffyBot22 likes this.
  5. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I always saw Wesley's pov in 'Choices' because it was very Watcher-like. I was one of the few times that he wasn't behaving like a pompous prig and actually doing his job. Of course I understand Buffy and co. because they, like us, know and care about Willow and don't want her to die (presumably...).
    But remember how casual they all were about leading with the 'battle plan' and how easy they thought it would be; infiltrate, magic, steal, escape, la la la, how easy. And then Willow gets caught. Opp,s maybe should've done things a bit more carefully.

In that scene I notice that Giles doesn't actually state his point of view, he just says (about exchanging Willow) 'It may well be (the only action we can take)' but he doesn't actually voice a solid opinion before Oz makes the executive decision for all of them. Would Watcher-Giles win-at-all-costs make the hard choice, like it does in the future?

I think there's lots of blame to go around- in this particular instance-, for Willow, Buffy, Xander and Oz for making that choice to pick Willow over a possible premature end to the super, evil plan.

But the real person responsible is Faith.
    If Faith hadn't been there, and been the competent evil-minion that actually managed to watch the perimeter, and consequently catch Willow in the act, then the Ascension may never have happened.
    I think everyone has to own their own actions here. Complicity in evil beats trying to do actual good and stop the Mayor. I think on the whole Buffy and co get a pass here.

DarkGoddess likes this.