1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Christos Gage & Rebekah Isaacs now on Buffy's book

Discussion in 'Angel & Faith: Season 9' started by The Scourge, Dec 17, 2013.

1. The Scourge

The Scourge Scooby

Since Angel & Faith got much better reviews than Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I'm not surprised Whedon felt the need to steal away Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs for season 10. A&F was better received than Buffy? Well, lets just solve that problem by taking their creative team! Can't have the side-book upstaging the main title again, can we?

Yeah, I'm pissed.

I'm now expecting Angel's title to be as mediocre as Buffy's has been the past two seasons.

2. VisionGirl

VisionGirl Newly Human

Sineya
    Why would you assume that? Victor Gischler is going to be writing A&F and he has had a lot of experience in the Marvel universe and wrote last season's Spike miniseries. A&F readers have become accustomed to quality in this title and I'm hopeful that they will continue to deliver.

3. The Scourge

The Scourge Scooby

Its a perfectly safe assumption. The Angel property has always been treated as lesser than Buffy. The second the Buffy series ended they hijacked AtS and made it more episodic to accommodate the Buffy fans they hoped to pick up (then made a bunch of pointless Buffy references at the cost of character development). They bought the Angel property and the first thing they did with it was destroy Angel's character by making him Twilight. Then when he gets his own series they keep his supporting cast away from him - though Gunn and Connor made small appearances - and they gave Illyria to Buffy instead. And even despite all of that Angel's title is agreed to be the better one, so they take creative team behind that success and immediately give it to the poorer-reviewed Buffy title.

Victor Gischler isn't a name I"m familiar with. He may have written some good comics, but just because he's written good on some properties doesn't mean he's good with others. Jeph Loeb taught me that.

4. ladydorotea

ladydorotea Scooby

From what I could discern based on public info, 'taking away' A&F creative team was not in any way JW's doing. Rather it happened because Joss' hand-picked writer for Buffy comics turned out to be utterly helpless when writing for the Buffy-verse. (JW plucked him from the Dollhouse writers team.)

Finding Christos and Rebekah for A&F was entirely Scott Allie's achievement. He read Gage's latest book ( Area 10) and basically jumped CG in the San Diego Comic Con mens' room with an offer to write for DH. Pure luck, and some comic book editor's savvy-ness. Rebekah was very young, talented and picked up on the basis of 'she can do sexy and pretty whilst doing action, and thus she would do'.

So, when Chambliss turned out to be a complete failure and the fandom decided that Jeanty was not good enough cause his Buffy was too personal and too childish Scott Allie had to make a quick decision for S10 - so he offered Buffy to CG and RI on the basis that 'I have no choice'.Joss, once again, had nothing to do with it. DH reaps what they saw - which is basically wild oats and their need to sell comics.

I am pretty pessimistic about A&F S10 because of Gischler, but I have enough sense to not blame this on Joss. What we have is basically DH squeezing an extra penny out of the plot that was not supposed to last post S9, yet it did , because Allie wants the comics to continue as long as folks are buying it. Don't blame Joss, he has little to do with picking up creative team. All he did was giving DH an outline for the Big Picture. Now they are trying to write fanfics that would roughly follow his plot for as long as they can with what meager resources they can. Gischler is cheaper than Vaughun. The only way us the audience can affect DH's desicion is by stop reading. So far does not matter how bad they turn , there is still enough audience to buy Buffy or Angel comic. Oh joy.

5. EVIL UU

EVIL UU Scooby

I think that it's more about money than anything else, A&F sells around 13 000 copies/month - that might just not be enough to keep Gage/Isaacs.

6. MarlieTheSlayer

MarlieTheSlayer Bangel shipper

I wish they could work on Buffy AND Angel & Faith :(