1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Club XXI lied about the 21 kills

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by thrasherpix, Jun 10, 2016.

1. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

I just finished watching The Ring again (I was trying to see if the same lizard demon "Liz" that sang at Caracas was Cribb, turned out it was a different lizard demon) and this time I noticed that as Trepkos achieved his 21st kill (even if of a human, but one with a slave bracelet forced onto his wrist), his bracelet didn't come off.

I suppose it's possible that the kill only counts if it's a "blow" (as opposed to throwing someone who dies as a result of that throw), but I'd think Club XXI would find it convenient if the demons didn't leave as they might seek revenge (and have proven themselves formidable), as might demon clans who learned of it (whether to avenge their slain and enslaved kin or just outraged at the idea of mere humans taking demons as slaves).

Unless, of course, one of the rich and powerful decided on hiring (or purchasing) the said demon after the 21st kill. (He who has the gold makes the rules.)

'Course trying to figure out the magic of the Buffyverse is hard for me (just as a general rule, magic is unstable and with risks to offset the convenience). It's apparently an "alternative technology" in some ways that can even mix with technology, and even pure technology seems to "know" things even when it shouldn't.

If even Spike's chip--which is supposed to be pure technology without magic--could tell who was a human or demon (which to me would be impossible for a chip in the brain to objectively determine, it would have to activate on what Spike THOUGHT he was attacking, and if it was so accurate, then surely the bigger gear of the Initiative should find demons even easier since the detection ability would be much greater than a microchip), then I'd think ancient sorcerers would make the XXI bracelets that read more the aura and intent as well.

That is Trepkos INTENDED for the human to die and succeeded, with the XXI bracelet falling down as a result (which should've resonated with the other bracelets and thus counted as a kill). So I'm gonna say they lied. Had Trepkos killed Angel, he would not have been freed (though someone may have hired/bought him, thus saving him from being killed or banished to another dimension).

2. Kana

Kana Soulless human

It depends on what you mean. Are you saying that the cuffs come off automatically after the 21st kill? Because I don't remember that being stated in the episode. I thought it was that the demon is released after the 21st kill. If this is the case, there is no evidence they are lying.

3. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

Fair enough. But that they have XXI on them, and just how magic seems to work, does make me think it would be an automatic process.

If they did honestly release them, then I wonder how long they've been open and what their reputation in the demon community was.

ETA: I just recalled, Darla & Dru visited a demon fight club while trying to get recruits, though it was very informal, and not to the death (Darla commenting that violence without victims was where they lost her). Given that many (perhaps most) demons did accept evil (which I presume means more along the lines of "might makes right" and the slogan "the weak are meat, and the strong do eat") then it's possible they simply shrugged over the existence of XXI, though I'd think plenty would still find it insulting to have been enslaved and thus seek revenge, other demons would want to put the humans in their place, and still others would want to avenge kin that had fallen to them (as some take clan very personally, which typically means that an insult or injury done to one is done to all of them, and they must avenge it lest they look weak to the other demons).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016