1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Could Dark Willow Have Killed Buffy?

Discussion in 'Season 6' started by Fool for Buffy, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy "I wanna see how it ends"

Sineya
    I understand that Dark Willow has this raging sensation to fight Buffy because she wants to beat her in Two to Go. But it didn't seem like she wanted to kill her, just prove she was better. So if Buffy was there at Kingman's Bluff, could Willow have killed her before destroying the world? Or did it have to be Xander?

2. Antho

Antho Scooby

From an emotional point of view, it had to be Xander who stopped Dark Willow, for me it's logic it's him and not Buffy. Why ? Because Willow needed to feel loved, to feel that life was worth living, she needed to be reconnect to her human emotions. Buffy was clearly not the ideal person because this year she was even disconnected from the reality and her emotions ( she said she was more happy in heaven, in Normal again at first she chooses an another reality) so she wasn't convincing in this role.

3. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

Willow would not have killed Buffy directly. I cannot believe that. I also believe Willow would have calmed down if Buffy had said the right words. Dark Willow's first act was to save Buffy, even though she hardly needed her help to stomp three insects.

Priceless likes this.
  4. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I think at this point, Willow was so consumed by the darkness and the feelings within her, she would have done anything to Buffy to prove she was the more powerful being. This is a girl who stood on the sidelines for many years as a 'sidekick'. She didn't want to be a sidekick, she felt like she was more than that. So when she got this power, it just consumed her completely.

Just to add, I don't think Willow would have done it on purpose, I think it would be the darkness and pain controlling her actions. Normal Willow would be appalled by her behaviour.

5. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

I think Willow was always happy to be the sidekick, until season 6 when she was demoted from best friend to something Buffy had to scrape off the pavement and carry home against her will. I think two premises had to be in place for Willow to go dark. The first was Tara's death. The second was her alienation from the Scoobies.

Athena likes this.
  6. TriBel

TriBel Potential

No. Well - obviously, yes she could because at the end of the day they're all only marks on a page - but not without upsetting the internal logic that's in place and is providing the dynamic for the following season. What's happening at the level of discourse - the way the story is told rather than what's being told - is a movement away from extreme binaries*. At their most extremes Willow is pure emotion (call it pure empathy although I don't like the term) - Buffy, as Antho says, is disconnected, so represents the opposite - pure reason or objectivity). For Willow to kill Buffy would simply reverse the privilege. If Buffy kills Willow the privilege (status quo) remains. Either way - there's no change. Also - you can't remove the virgule (the /) - without difference meaning can't exist. There has to be a third term (played at different times by Giles, Anya, Dawn etc). Xander is the third term between Buffy and Willow. What the text is doing is lessening the space between the extremes. It's also started to reject linear notions of temporality, simple cause and effect and question concepts of "space". Spaces are "bleeding" into each other. There's a reason Willow's story is intercut with Spike's (WILLow/WILLiam) despite the fact that - in reality - the chronology is probably different.
    *(Spirit/Body: Male/Female; Self/Other; Conscious/Unconscious; Present/Past; Objectivity/Subjectivity; Connection/Disconnection; Mind/Heart; Hero/Villain; Light/Dark). I'm going to hate myself for this remark - it's even more complicated than I've implied.

I have now, officially, bored myself and allowed structuralism to ruin a good story. I'll either get my coat - drink more coffee - or just kill myself. Let me mull it over. ;)

Priceless likes this.