1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did any feel Cordelia absent in season 4?.

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by Benz, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Benz

Benz Townie

I sure did as thought Cordelia was right bitch at times.

She still was likeable and I just miss Cordelia 2 cents and I think Xander and Cordelia had better chermisty then Xander and Anya!.

I love Anya but in perfect world we would have both Ayna and Cordelia both in gang and as regulars.

But if I had to chose I pick Cordelia in hreatbeat!.

2. Priceless

Priceless The Badship Spuffy

I did miss Cordelia, she was one of my favourite characters. I like Anya, but she wasn't really a replacement for Cordy. The only reason I watched Angel was because of Cordy, and I didn't like what they did with the character once she'd left BtVS

3. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I didn't miss Cordy and none of the characters missed her either. The only episode she could've had a role was in "The Harsh Light of Day" and that's only in relation to Harmony. Cordy worked in season 1-3 because the characters were still in high school and thus forced to interact with each other. However, without that forced interaction, Cordelia wouldn't give them the time of day.

4. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

Both Spike and Anya are crappy replacements for Cordelia. Anya is a one note joke without layers. And Spike is just...there, for some flimsy chippy reason, snarking for snarking sake. Neither of them has the confidence to get into Buffy's face the way Cordy used to, so no one was there to reign in Buffy when she was particularly stupid or b*tchy. So yeah I not only missed Cordy but she was needed since they didn't bother with an adequate replacement.

5. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Spike and Anya didn't really have the ground to get into Buffy's face. Spike was relying on the scoobies for protection from the Initiative and dealing with the chip in his head which prevented from harming anyone so pissing off the slayer wasn't in his best interests. His conflicts with Buffy in season 4 were petty squabbles. Anya's main focus was Xander so she didn't give a toss what they other scoobies did.

Cordelia had an invested interest in telling Buffy when her ideas were stupid because Cordelia would possibly be in the firing line when things went wrong. Anya and Spike didn't have that problem because they didn't care about the scoobies enough to put themselves in that position.

6. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

Aside from the fact that Spike going to the slayer of all people was stupid beyond belief and the Scoobies not dusting him was even dumber. He constantly snarked at or insulted Buffy or the others. But it was just that, snarking for snarking sake. There is no substance in that. Since Spike had a plot armor that he clearly knew about he might as well have gotten into Buffy's face for real. However he lacks the confidence to do that, with or without a soul.

When did she ever. One note joke. 'I like sex, orgasms and money and I'm snarky about it.' She was purely a comic foil whereas Cordelia was much more.

What Cordelia had was an identity that wasn't linked to Buffy in any way, unlike all the other people in Buffy's life. Which is why when Cordelia had a strong opinion, she expected to be heard by Buffy. And she had the confidence to get through to Buffy. That was something Buffy needed, especially in the later Seasons. And no one was there to fill that role.

7. nightshade

nightshade Watcher Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I did miss her, but I didn't see a role for her in season 4. Xander had moved on, Buffy and Willow were doing college, which although Cordelia got into she couldn't afford to go to. I think it would have only worked if she was a guest star instead of a regular.

8. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    Not really, because I started watching Angel season 1. :p I did miss her ability to bring people down a peg or two when they got too big for their boots. I would've liked to have seen her interacting with later seasons Willow.

9. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    So... in primeval.. the enjoining spell made them heart, hand, mind and spirit. If Cordy was around what would she have been?

10. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
  11. nightshade

Black Thorn
    She wouldn't have been there, it was the core four, no extra scoobies.

12. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    You don't think the core four would have been a cour five had she stayed? I mean she was there since day one. I think certain if Cordy was on S4 she would have been a core member.

13. nightshade

Black Thorn
    Not unless they changed her season 3 storyline, made it though she had the money still and went to college with Buffy and Willow

14. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Xander didn't go to college either...& he was still around.

15. nightshade

Black Thorn
    yeah but having him, Giles and Cordelia not at the college would be a bit much

Mr. Pole: I don't think so. Might have actually helped.
  16. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Same for Giles.

Greenwalt wanted Cordy so they gave her to him. I'm sure they could have found room for her on Buffy.

17. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

They could've killed Cordy off in Hush, really raised the stakes in that episode though I suppose they had the Gentlemen trying to kill Tara and Willow. Seeing Cordy unable to speak would've been funny.

18. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    That would have been humorous.

19. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I think it was a good time to end Cordelia's story on Buffy. It was a smart move bringing her to Angel because it made the transition smoother between the two shows to have another familiar face. Its just a shame that Cordy wasn't featured again at least for one of the cross overs or maybe a small arc. Think there was room to revisit her and Xander, and considering she changes quite a bit on Angel that would have been interesting to see Buffy.

20. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

I think the exit of Cordy was addition by subtraction. ;)