1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Did Buffy have the right to call into question Angel's love?

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by Forever Slayer, Jun 27, 2016.

1. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

Wow, I would have loved for an Angel mention to be in the script. I can't believe they took that out. It really would have helped the audience understand Buffy's dismay over Parker. I can see what you are saying, but I still think with just a bit of analysis it's clear that this NOT about Parker at all. I think moping made sense, because after Angel turned evil she broke down and basically had a cry fest in her room (totally understandable and a valid response). She didn't get to anger until the episode where she kicked his ass in the mall (I'm blanking on the episode name). I mean the writers definitely could have executed it better, but I don't think the point is totally lost unless you just weren't a follower of the show and had only seen this one particular episode.

Carrie Hopewell: Innocence (that's the name of the episode). And tbh, it was mostly lost on me until I joined the BB. But I DO have a knack for missing the obvious sometimes :P
  2. Mylie

Mylie Potential

I definitely think the writers should have left that part where Buffy acknowledges the Parker thing was about Angel in the script.

Maybe Joss decided to cut it in response to all the outcry over Buffy already seeing someone else. I know it annoyed him. Even SMG didn't agree with it. I personally don't mind it at all, because I think it made sense with her new college life, etc. That said, it certainly would have made it more meaningful and relatable for some people. Or just more justifiable. Not that I think a women in college has to justify having sex...

The more I think about it, the more I realize I wouldn't have had a problem with it if it had been a good experience for Buffy. But because it wasn't, I wish the fact that it happened had been justified/linked to her not being over Angel.

BuffyBot22 and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  3. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

For me the problem is that the Parker/Angel parallel doesn't work. Angel was the metaphor (since we can't literally lose our souls as humans) for the Parker's of this world. I had the same problem during early S3 when Buffy talked with the school counselor. Because Angel is a metaphor. For humans it's literal and involves choice. Parker chose to use and dump Buffy, Angel did not chose to turn into an asshole. So while what the counselor said about those kinds of guys is true and Parker literally is such a guy, Angel is not. So when they tried that parallel or made the metaphor literal it never worked for me.

Mr Trick and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  4. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Think I would agree with you if Buffy discussed Angel in explicit terms with the counselor, but she is quite vague about it and it can be applied to a lot of things which have happened to her at that point.

To answer the question? I think Buffy's questioning of Angel's love is a bit melodramatic and out of character for her. I kinda get when she does it over the Faith kiss, with Buffy still being a teenager at this point and all. As POTN pointed out in one of his reviews the timing at the end of S3 is a bit odd because at that point she had already accepted that her and Angel don't have a future.