1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.17 "Passion" - Aired 2/24/1998 (WB-US)

Discussion in 'Official Episode Discussion Threads' started by FaithyFivebyFive, Jan 27, 2008.

1. FaithyFivebyFive

FaithyFivebyFive Love's bitcah

Source: TV.com

...Is a great episode. I love a lot of the Cordelia moments/lines, and 'Angelus/Buffy' moments... I think that's pretty self-explanatory in itself.

What'd everyone else think of this episode?

I watched it last night. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
  2. Lorne

Lorne Townie

I'd have to say this is one of my more favorite episodes of the entire series. It was just captured so well with the trials of Buffy and Angelus, then Buffy and her friends to see whether or not they would remain loyal with her decisions about Angelus. I think it was done rather well with the theme of Passion, without it we'd be truly dead, to quote Angelus. He's right, good or evil there's passion on either side, and some would say there's a much stronger form of passion in the side of evil because of the lust and desires. That's just my two points into that so you don't have to agree, lol.

3. Anya Jenkins-Harris

Anya Jenkins-Harris Vengeance is what I am.

Ahhh, Passion, love it. It's one of my favourite episodes of the first three seasons [I'm one of those weirdos who like the last four seasons, instead :p]. I love the Passion speeches by Angelus, and the whole episode...I'm not sure why I'm so drawn to it, I just am.

Wishing Oceans: I prefer the last 4 seasons too =)
    thevikingsgirl: I like the last 4 seasons best too.
    Wesley Pryce: i love the "Adult" seasons as well :) 5 & 6 are my favorite years :)
  4. Edmund Blackadder

Edmund Blackadder Scooby

What do I think?

I think if you go to this Link you can join a discussion already started and you still have today and tomorrow to participate:)

5. Lorne

Lorne Townie

I think many people are drawn to this episode because it has a good balance of both sides and it gives one of the first insights of Angel's past as Angelus and what he does now in the present time as Angelus, which hasn't changed by a lot, but yea.

6. Bookkitty

Bookkitty Potential

I absolutely love this episode. I actually just watched it, so I have a question, or more a complaint.
    At one point, Jenny says that she was raised by who Angel hurt the most."
    Now, I know he killed one of their daughters. But in my opinion, killing one member, rather quickly, is not that bad. It is definitely not the family that I would say he hurt the MOST.
    He tortured and killed multiple members of other families, including his own and Dru's.
    I think that is worse than what he did to the Romani clan

7. TheChosenTwo

TheChosenTwo A Vision of Hotliness

I love this episode. Loved the speeches by Angel

Airam: I love your av, 1. cause I uploaded the pic, and 2. cause it goes SO well with your UT!
  8. Astaroth

Astaroth Because It's Wrong

Passion is my favorite episode of Buffy, even over the musical, Hush, The Body...the usual favorites.

One reason is the way it is shot. I don't know, there is something different about the photography of it, which I didn't see in any other episode. It is beautifully done.

Another is the monologues, which are great by both Angelus and Buffy. I love that Buffy has the last one...and sort of raps it up.

It is just a great thrill-ride of an episode. It really doesn't let up and it is almost as dark as Innocence.

High Points:
    - Giles going bad-ass and attacking Angelus
    - the end with Buffy punching Giles and crying in each other's arms is just a great scene
    - the view through the window from Angelus' POV when Buffy and Willow get the news about Jenny
    - Angelus killing Jenny with just a neck snap
    - the creepy pictures left around
    - Willow's fish
    - And really my favorite moment: Angelus telling Joyce he slept with Buffy, and the resulting talk

Just fantastic.

9. HisMrs

HisMrs The Walking BED

Sineya
    I think there is a flashback sequence in an ep in Angel where it shows Darla, Spike, and Dru ransacking the clan and killing all of them after they cursed Angel with his soul... Maybe they blame him for them killing almost everyone in the tribe??

10. Perny

Perny Guest

Good episode.. Wasn't the best, but it had a lot of those "hold-your-breath-don't-blink-don't move-or-you-might-miss-something" moments.

11. palabravampiress

palabravampiress Bidet of Evil

I agree! I'm not sure it's my favorite episode of all time (I really like Hush and The Body), but it's definitely my favorite episode from season 2. It is a beautifully shot, written, directed, and acted thrill ride! Every time I see it, this episode blows me away.

I do agree with you guys about the Romani family maybe going a bit over the top with the whole "people he hurt the most" thing. I think Angelus hurt his own family, Dru's family, Holtz (and his family), the Scoobies, the W&H lawyers from AtS: s2's ill-fated house party, the entire Angel Investigations crew, Connor, and the entire city of LA more than he hurt the Romani family. What are one or two dead girls compared to unleashing the hoardes of Hell onto a major metropolis?

Wesley Pryce: He didn't unleash hoardes of demons on to LA. Wolfram and hart did it,they were going to bring about an apocalypse with or without team Angel,Angel just made sure they did it on "His" time table instead of at their own conveinent time.
  12. Anabelle

Anabelle Dreamer

That is one of my favourites episodes. I cry when I see it :(

I LOVE Buffy/Angelus/Giles moments so much. Poor Jenny, it was so sad :(

And music!! I'm totally in love with this song:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxQo3lsqF6c"]YouTube - Buffy the Vampire Slayer - )[/ame]

Sooo sad :(

And I LOVE this quotes:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJJylikXz_s"]YouTube - Passion[/ame]

13. Giants Rule 04

Giants Rule 04 Potential

I said this elsewhere, but I'll add it again in this thread.

In my humble opinion, "Passion" is the best episode of season 2, and one of the best of the series. Giles and Jenny were about to be reunited and you could sense his enthusiasm about that throughout the entire episode. That just made his heartbreak all the more difficult to handle when he sees Jenny and realized that she is dead.

If nothing else, this episode introduced Angelus to us; the real Angelus, that is. We had heard for a year and a half about how vicious, how evil, how heartless Angel's other half was. This is the first time that we experience that for ourselves. The ruthless fashion in which he kills Jenny and arranges her body to inflict maximum damage to Giles is unthinkable and speaks to Angelus' true nature. It was a very well written and well acted episode.

randiann: agree totally
    WWGD: Well said. I agree it really depicts how evil Angelus really is. Also, NY Giants rule!!!!!
  14. Xin Rong

Xin Rong Killed by Dissertation

It was an awesome episode... my friend loved it so much she got the passion poem tatooed on her arm

Kean: Wow...that's dedication
    HisMrs: WOW. That's hardcore, for sure.
  15. HisMrs

HisMrs The Walking BED

Sineya
    I love "Passion". For the first time in my fandom of the series, I was seriously scared for Buffy and the Scoobies. I remember seeing the promos promising that someone was going to die and I thought "There's no way it will be anyone too close to Buffy" and then it was and I was like "WOW, these writers want to prove that no one is safe!" And it was so chilling to see David, who had always played this wonderfully sexy romantic boyfriend to Buffy become her worst nightmare in the course of a couple of episodes. To see the change in his character and how well he played the role(s) was what drove me to start hardcore trying to get my friends and family to watch with me 'cause then I was like "Ok, these people really have acting chops, and the writing is REALLY good!"

miromurr: Yep, what you said.
  16. Sunnydale Siren

Sunnydale Siren Scooby

this episode was so heartbreaking, pooooooooor Giles.

Jenny loved him and was planning make things right, sadly she was brutally slaughtered before doing so.

Angelus is a cruel bastard, but it's great watching Boreanz be so DELICIOUSLY evil.

17. foreverdark

foreverdark Townie

Okay, I'm going to hate myself for this, but... Passion Poem??

18. Safer

Safer Townie

I think Ty King is a pseudoynm for Joss Whedon.

19. PrincessBuffy16

PrincessBuffy16 Credit Card Slayer

Oh that was good episode. I loved passion speech by Angel, I have it in my head =)

miromurr: That's a sweet banner that deserves a rep point ;)
  20. PrincessBuffy16

PrincessBuffy16 Credit Card Slayer

Thank u.Glad u like it =)