1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 3.20 "The Prom" - Aired 5/11/1999 (WB-US)

Discussion in 'Official Episode Discussion Threads' started by Flannen, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Flannen

Flannen Flannix

Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

2. Hale Caesar

Hale Caesar Sunnydale Nerd

When Angel shows up at Buffy's prom...such a nice moment, and kind of sad especially knowing he was going to leave :(

AnthonyCordova likes this.
  3. wickedtiger86

wickedtiger86 Scooby

Sineya
    Just finished this one in my rewatch. This episode was ridiculously emotional for me today.

I was so mad at Angel, for the way he went around breaking up with Buffy. He should have talked about the feelings he was having as he was having them, instead of just going "Oh, hey, I thought of all this stuff and so I'm leaving."

It's just, in a relationship, people need to talk to each other about these things together. So that aggravated me.

I mean, I understand everything that he was saying and I don't disagree with his reasoning at all, it's just the way he went about it.

And then I was so happy that Xander bought that dress for Cordy.

And then I teared up during the class protector bit. On camera, at my job, I was all with the tears and everything. Management is probably in the office laughing at me. lol

I think Angel did redeem himself by showing up to the Prom though, since he did it only because it was so important to her, and not really to gain anything for himself. And that is really lovely.

So I was deeply angry, and then happy, and moved and sad and then just . . . content there at the end when they were dancing together.

It was completely crazy. I'm not really recovered yet.

WWGD: I felt the same way! When they wwere dancing it was a brief moment of "everything is right".
    Charmander likes this.
  4. WileyDairyGnome

WileyDairyGnome Strong like an Amazon

Sineya
    The Class Protector Award scene was amazing. I teared up and even clapped for Buffy. Everything about it was adorable and amazing. Loved it. :)

5. Appelsapientje

Appelsapientje Potential

I love it that Xander bought the dress for Cordelia! That was so sweet of him . Overall, I liked this episode, but I didn't found it that interesting. Although the Class Protector scene was really beautiful.

6. WWGD

WWGD Potential

This is one of those episode that just hits me strong. I shed a couple tears every time. When Jonathan makes the speech and Buffy gets the class protector award, then when Angel shows up and they dance. Very emotional. It was awesome of Xander to buy the dress for Cordelia. Very sad also as it is the end of Buffy and Angel being "together". :(

7. Professor Walsh

Professor Walsh Feminist slayerette

Black Thorn
    As much as "The Prom" is filled with stuff to discuss (I wouldn't be me if I didn't mention Joyce just here, would I?), this is the moment that springs to my mind when I think of that particular episode. I love the look on Giles' face here:

[​IMG]

Carolina: The look of a proud father. I love it!
  8. EvilWillow

EvilWillow Scooby

It still pissed me off when Angel showed up at the prom. It was a nice moment, until he opened his big mouth and said, "It's just for tonight, it doesn't mean..."

Come ON, man. Why don't you just rub salt in her wounds??

Carolina: I totally agree! He should've just showed up, told her she looked beautiful and asked her to dance!
  9. nightshade

nightshade Watcher Staff Member

Black Thorn
    This is on tv at the moment, do you think is quote ( the miles to go bit) references the whole Little Miss Muffet thing that Faith says in Graduation Day?

10. Amethyst

Amethyst Potential

Sineya
    I'm all for Bangel, so I find this episode sad :( How the hell can he leave her!! Argghh... :( I also for some unknown reason tear up when the Class Protection speech happens, it's so nice for everyone to recognise Buffy's efforts :D

11. Jules

Jules Bite Me

Black Thorn
    This is such a sad episode. I got very emotional at Jonathan's speech and how proud Giles, Xander and Willow look when its being done. I also thought it was so sweet of Xander to buy Cordy's dress, it was a very touching end to their rollercoaster of a relationship.

Being a Bangel I was so shocked at the scene in the tunnel, yeah, I saw it coming but still, buffy sums it up when Angel has finished speaking by asking ''Is this really happening.'' I love that he turned up at the Prom and I love the song ''Wild Horses'' that is playing while they dance.

Wesley Pryce likes this.
  12. Carolina

Carolina Townie

I echo the sentiments of everyone else, the class protector award scene was amazing. I tear up every time! You always feel that she does so much with no one taking notice and it's so nice to see her being acknowledged for risking her life to save the kids at her school. Fantastic scene.

13. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

It's very interesting that after years of Cordelia mocking Xander for being poor, he was the one who bought her the prom dress.

14. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    The Prom is a good penultimate episode to the finale. It gives the characters a very good send off from high school, particularly Buffy with her Class Protector award. Buffy's self sacrifice of her own prom happiness was really sweet too. And it just had to be Jonathon that gave her the award. :)

AnthonyCordova and Mr Trick like this.
  15. Wesley Pryce

Wesley Pryce Angel Investigations

Black Thorn
    Angel left because he wanted Buffy to have a normal life. It was a selfless act. Angel was trying to help.

16. The Thirst Evil

The Thirst Evil The Un-slept

The class protector scene is one of my favourites in the whole whole series. I get chills. Buffy finally has her 'perfect high school moment'. It gives Buffy something to go away with, she'll be remembered by people that she didn't even know. She saved all of their lives, and they're finally all showing their appreciation for it, and it's especially moving that Jonathan is the one to give her the award.

17. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

True, and on the surface that's all noble and heroic, and I understand why it was LA that Angel chose as his new base of operations (It made it easier to shoot the show there, and it would make crossovers more convenient, plus the "City Of Angels" thing was cool) but, if his intentions were to stay away from Buffy for her own good, why didn't he set up shop in New York or Chicago, somewhere actually more than a couple of hours' drive back to Sunnydale? I mean, the whole idea of leaving town was to stay away from Buffy so that she could have a relatively normal life. What part of "staying away" did Angel miss?

18. Robb Stark

Robb Stark King in the North

Sineya
    Well, he's in the same state as her. It isn't like they're a town away from one another. I've always pictured Sunnydale as someone in the vicinity of Santa Barbara, which several hours drive north of L.A. I mean, I'm from Vancouver, four hours or so south of Kelowna, and it isn't like I routinely see people from there. Now, granted, Buffy and Angel are in comparable lines of work, so the potential is there I suppose, but Angel moving three hours away as opposed to nine or ten doesn't make him less of a hero.

And, it's worth mentioning, the times they do meet aren't by chance. They aren't related to them being in California. Angel returns to Sunnydale because of Doyle's vision. Buffy goes to L.A. specifically to see Angel (which, presumably would have happened if he lived in Chicago). Faith is the only geographically ambiguous thing. She goes to L.A. and is contracted by Wolfram & Hart to kill Angel, but Buffy was already following her. If Faith had run to New York, that wouldn't have stopped Buffy coming after her, and in turn seeing Angel. In S5 Angel seeks Buffy out after Joyce dies, again unrelated to their locations, and in S7 it's more of the same. Angel goes to help Buffy with The First. That would have happened if he'd been living in Chicago or New York or anywhere else.

Wesley Pryce likes this.
  19. Kenimowy

Kenimowy Potential

Sineya
    I don't particularly consider myself either a Bangel or Spuffy shipper. I like them both, but I have always tended to slide towards Spuffy just purely for the fact that I find the dynamic between them more interesting in the long run. However, the one scene in this entire series that sells me every single time on Bangel, is the dance at the end of The Prom. The silence, and pure contentment between the two of them even knowing that he is leaving soon, just wrecks my heart. Every rewatch I have, I always get a little tired of the weepy and doom and gloom romance they have, but once that scene comes I just stop and think,...Wow....There really is real love there.

Maybe I am crazy! But that is how that scene speaks to me.

Mr Trick likes this.
  20. Wild At Heart

Wild At Heart the moon lights his way

I just re-watched this episode again earlier today & I still get surprised that I tear up two or three different times throughout. I also agree with people who said Angel could've gone about breaking up with Buffy in a different way than he did even though we all know he was right & Buffy knew it deep down as well. I always feel for her when she says "Is this really happening?" because I know exactly what she's feeling at that moment. Her scene with Willow in her room when she says she feels like she can't breathe really breaks my heart. But in the end, her receiving the Class Protector award & Angel showing up to give her that "one perfect high school moment" made up for it.

I also really enjoyed Xander's scenes with Cordelia. I really felt for her & I knew it really was the beginning of a new chapter for her. Another major plus in this episode is Anya. She is just so hilarious. Her scenes with Xander, when she asks him to the prom & then is telling him all the stories about what she's done to men in the past AT the prom, are so outrageously funny. Love this episode!