1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Angel 11.06 - Released 6/21/17 (Dark Horse)

Discussion in 'Angel: Season 11' started by Buffy Summers, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    Aboard a ship in the middle of the ocean, Angel has not succeeded in avoiding his past self, Angelus. He must escape Angelus, keep Fred safe, and also determine what must be done with the jewel-like beetle that has ties to the future. When the beetle turns out to be something stranger than anyone could have imagined, Angel’s focus turns to survival rather than saving the future . . .

Source: Dark Horse

2. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

Happy to say I enjoyed this issue :)

Angel fights Angelus, which is fun. Fred talks about finding another cave and Angel tells her he's seen worse talents. Angel is finally getting some memory changes, so we know the future has been changed, though we're still not sure how. There are some nice panels of beetles bursting out of people's heads which are pretty cool.

It's still not great and I still have no idea where the story is leading, but at least this issues was exciting, there were battles with pirates and Illyria makes an appearance and could end up killing Angelus. The issue ends with the tag line 'Next week; vampires and zombies and priates, oh my!' which was cheesy but I liked it.

3. Stoney

Stoney Spiked!

What have they indicated has changed in Angel's memories? I'm not sure if it makes sense that he is aware of the change changing. If his history alters his current then it will have always been thus for him, if you see what I mean. The issues of how they are handling the ripples from this time travel jaunt is a key problem for me with this plotline.

I definitely will get the trades when they come out, it is canon so I want to be fully up to date with it and that's why I'm following people's comments. Mostly people seem pretty uncertain or dislike it. It was the poor voicing/writing that had me stop buying the digitals.

4. Priceless

I'm not sure what has changed in Angel's memories, though he tells Fred he can feel a change :confused: They don't flash forward to Angel at another time to show the changes, so the audience is never shown what's been changed.

I haven't been sure what's actually going on here since the first issue and I'm not sure the writers do either. There is no sense of purpose or through line. Nothing that happend on Illyria's world in the first few issues seemed to be related to Angel at all. At least now he and Fred are on a boat with Angelus and Darla it feels that it has some connection to Angel himself.

If I'm being honest, it's a pretty oddly written and badly drawn comic, with a few interesting happenings. I am slightly worried that the publishers are running the comic into the ground, especially since Faith was taken off the title.

5. Stoney

Stoney Spiked!

The title definitely hasn't done well since Gage/Isaacs left, although Gischler was miles better than this. It feels as if they are just trying to space fill with Angel/Fred/Illyria here and separating from Faith for this adds to that sense of it being disjointed/random this season. But there must be some intention driving it for some purpose/value to be gained. Discovering something new about Angel from his past doesn't seem to be the point in it all, so I have to assume that changing something accidentally or intentionally is going to be. I can't see how they could stomp through the past and not influence the present. But Angel 'knowing' that some change is occurring makes no logical sense to me, I'm struggling with that.

Wasn't it Fred that Angel had that Irish jaunt with in S10 too? I don't like the way they have opted to return Fred to be honest, so I'm not an easy sell on her stories since which isn't helping me. But there are too many characters to just have one title, so I'm not sure they would be intentionally slowing this one. It does feel odd though, the choices they've made here combined with Faith's lack of season (although I liked her popping up in BtVS, I can't see her staying there easily).

6. Priceless

I'm not sure what the value is. I think it's just that the publishers know the die-hard fans will keep buying it, no matter what, because it doesn't feel like any effort has been put into the story. Unless there will be one big reveal in the last issue that somehow changes everything?

Angel actually clutches his head (imagine Spike when his chip fires), Fred asks if he's okay and he replies 'It's just that I can feel my memories . . . changing. It's like I have two sets now, side by side. Weird sensation. But I'm okay, really'

Yes Fred and Angel went to Ireland in season 10. I'm not a big fan of Fred's return. I'd rather he was travelling with Faith, but maybe they thought Faith was a better fit with the Buffy story and the Slayers losing their powers? I agree, they can't keep Faith on the Buffy title, she's a much better fit with Angel. I loved their joint title, they worked so well together.

By the way, the art in the Angel comic is terrible. At first I could barely recognise anyone :(

7. Stoney

Stoney Spiked!

Yeah I agree the art isn't good at all on the likenesses. I quite liked the detail in the dream sequence spread in the first issue though. But I thought Fred was an odd Faith at first glance, very curvy and not at all like AA.

I suppose I can see the argument that both sets of memories could be present. I doubt a lot of general ones would necessarily stand out as alternate even, unless you were certain for some reason on specific dates/places/events. How much different experiences would have to veer onto a different course to change your personality, to change you fundamentally I suppose is debateable. If they want to ignore that they can just decree nothing substantial enough differed. It is a little more ropey on that front with the way they changed Illyria's past though I'd have thought. Time will tell on whether there will be any character development achieved from all this. :s

Priceless likes this.