1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 11.09 - Released 7/19/17 (Dark Horse)

Discussion in 'Season 11' started by Blair, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    Sorry @Buffy Summers , beating you to this...

Just read the latest issue and couldn't contain my excitement- I loved how Buffy and Faith are working together.

"Yo B, been keeping this warm for ya"
    Despite my previous thoughts of "I hope Faith keeps the Scythe so she can be in charge for a bit", I was actually really touched that she would acknowledge that Buffy is the keeper of the Scythe. Loving the team work between Buffy, Willow and Faith. I feel like they're really burying the hatchet from the past and that Faith would probably end up being part of the Scooby gang (I hope!)

Also liking the continued alliance between the Scoobies and Vicki. Does Vicki look worse than in season ten or is it just me?

But can we just take a moment to appreciate the Spuffy goodness and Faith's comment of "Still?"?
    I'm glad that Spike is back in play along with Xander & Dawn.

Edit: Just watching idkmybffjill730's recap on the issue on YouTube and he's drawn the resemblance of Buffy, Willow and Faith being like the Power Puff Girls! I can't un-see this now!

Priceless: If I could like this more than once I would :-)
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  2. Priceless

Priceless I'll set something on fire

Great review Blair, cannot wait to read it! Royal Mail are always so slow.

The producers could be trying to move Faith over to the Buffy title now she's no longer with Angel, but do you think two Slayers working together permanantly could work? I'm not so sure . . . but I haven't read this issue yet and might change my mind.

Looking forward to seeing the Spuffy goodness :D

3. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    I read it online, then waiting for the volumes to come out ;)

I really hope that Faith and Buffy continue to work together. I know they've butted heads before but I feel that both Faith and Buffy have matured and getting past all that. I've been reading Angel & Faith season nine for the first time and I can see over the issues that Faith is developing to be more mature, in her own Faithy kinda way.
    I think with Buffy and Faith being "original Slayers" they understand the world better than anyone. I finished reading the issue in Angel & Faith where Willow actually hugs Faith in thanks, so I feel that now they're older (are they around 27 now?) that being in this new dilemma, they would be a stronger team together rather than separated.

Not to spoiler you, but Faith seriously saves Buffy and Willow's asses in this issue. I think they could team up together for quite some time.

Priceless, Stoney and Last Watcher like this.
  4. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    To this I say......about bloody time! :rolleyes:

5. Stoney

Stoney Spiked!

I enjoyed the issue but wish I'd not read all the preview pages that were released and I'd already seen the Spuffy panel that Jeanty released too. They covered too much of the high impact moments. I might try to ignore the previews for the next issue but I'm normally too weak to not peek!

6. EditorsNote

EditorsNote www.editorsnotecomics.com

This story is going to have to wrap up quickly! Only 3 issues to go...

7. TriBel

TriBel Potential

I read it yesterday - really good but I'm going to go out on a limb here and could end up with egg on my face. I've been working on an article based on Touched and - to put it politely - it was doing mine and everybody else's head in. I've just had a Eureka moment (actually in the bath) and the last bit has just fallen into place. I won't bore you with it - it's theoretical claptrap. In addition, I realised I'd come to the same conclusion 15 years ago when I was writing about Alasdair Gray's Lanark (so 4 months of my life wasted when I could have cut/paste). I digress.

The question I want to ask is - does anyone think Buffy is pregnant? They made an issue of the fact that she and Spike had sex the night before the magic was removed and she'd been feeding him. So his metabolism has been altered and the sperm / egg could have the magic removed before it was fertilised. Then put back making the baby "special" (but not Connor!). It would mean jobs for Faith etc if she was. Okay...I'm losing it! It wouldn't change my ideas if she isn't (they were speculative and not informed by the story as such - more by form) but they allude to certain social conditions being right and I've just realised the conditions in the story meet the criteria.

Ta! Off to the cinema!

8. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    It doesn't have to be me. I'm on vacation. But it's good to post the summary of the issue...

9. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    mmm....Buffy pregnant. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I am a mother of 3 so I like children and I'm trying not to let that influence my thoughts. I love the idea of Spike and Buffy being a family but I also like the idea that women don't have to have children to be complete. Buffy's got a pretty big job already without having a kid too. In real life being a Mum does change pretty much every aspect of you life for a period of some years, who am I kidding it's for the rest of your life, so they better have a darn good plan for the story to accomodate a child. Personally I didn't like Connor so that may be turning me off the baby story line.

10. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    So that's it then...Buffy's going to become a mom & so it's.......Faith the Vampire Slayer!!!! ;)

11. EditorsNote

EditorsNote www.editorsnotecomics.com

I'd be surprised if they did another Buffy's pregnant story. It's been done and poorly received.

12. Athene

Athene Scooby

I don't see how that would work, I mean you can't centre a comic called 'Buffy the vampire slayer' around Faith's slaying jobs and on the side Buffy being a mum :D

13. TriBel

TriBel Potential

Ha...I had three in 15 months - that's harder work than killing demons! In retrospective, there's a possibility my youngest was a demon (they're grown up so I can be rude without inflicting severe psychological damage on them). It wasn't a baby in and of itself I was bothered about (to be honest I hadn't given much consideration to the storyline), it was to do with new social structures based on a reconsideration of otherness and the theories I was working with use maternity and the mother as a trope (that's the least boring way I can think to explain it). It works well enough in the abstract. It was just that something about the covers set me thinking - particularly the #11. Also, the fact that Spike's last task before the Fall was to rescue a baby ("Hello Junior") and W&H seem to back in action. Thanks All!

flow: Loved Spike saving that Baby. Would love to see him as a Dad. maybe he could take the parental leave while Buffy stays on slayer duty ?
  14. Priceless

Am I the only one who enjoyed the pregnant Buffy story? :oops:

Actually I don't want Buffy to be pregnant now because she hasn't even told Spike that she loves him. I'm probably being old fashioned and overly romantic, but I'd hope Buffy would have declared her feelings before taking the next step. They only actually live together because they have been forced to in the safe zone, and I'd like them to be a more settled couple before they think of children

flow: But she did tell him in Chosen ;-) It still counts, doesn`t it ?
    TriBel likes this.
  15. TriBel

TriBel Potential

Ahhh...would you like to adopt mine - you'd make a much better mother than I did! :) Actually, I didn't mind the story. TBH, the mother has an important function and not just in terms of the story. Whistler was responsible for the balance of the universe and the most famous Whistler I know was James McNeill Whistler - his most well-known painting was Whistler's Mother. Also, the universe Buffy and Angel created referred to Buffy as "Mother".

Priceless likes this.
  16. Priceless

I liked seeing Buffy's thought process in making a decision to terminate, she worked through the problem logically and honestly and I found that compelling. And of course I love that she turned to Spike for help and comfort. Buffy eventually declined to create a universe with Angel, refusing the mantle of 'Mother' . . . or maybe it was creating it with Angel that she declined, because she was already mother to Dawn

GoSpuffy likes this.
  17. DarkGoddess

DarkGoddess The babe with the power

Okay, love love love the Willow-Buffy-Faith dynamic.
    But, and don't read if you avoid spoilers...
    Am I the only one who found the plan a little.. underwhelming? I don't know...
    By the way, what's up with the artwork?

And yeah, even though I'm indifferent to the Spuffy-ness, the 'Still?' was cute.

18. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    Agreed with the artwork, it's a bit off usual par.
    I guess with only three issues to go they couldn't go for a more complex plan...

19. Stoney

Stoney Spiked!

I've just had an email from Dark Horse Digital that they have a sale on the comics, a lot of individual issues are down to $0.99. I just got the handful I was missing from S9, before I started buying the digital copies. They have Buffy, Serenity and Angel & Faith included, as well as other series. I'm not sure how long it is running for or all that it applies to, but it is a bit of a reduction from what they charge per issue normally for the back issues (I think they tend to go down to around $1.99 normally, but I'm not sure) and a fair amount less than what they normally charge for the recent releases, BtVS I think is normally $3.99 when it is released. I've just had a quick look and all the ones of S11 are included in the sale. There is a link for the sale in the scrolling banner at the top of the Dark Horse Digital site.

20. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

I like that Willow got to be all wicca bad a...um booty :p