1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Do You Think Cordy was "Tamed" Too Much in S3?

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by vellavu, Dec 8, 2015.

1. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    Cordy was supposed to be blunt and funny. I have a feeling that these edges of her was reduced along with her selfishness.

In this season, she was not funnier than anyone except maybe Wesley. She was no blunter than Gunn.

If the character assassination didn't happen in S4, what would be her direction? An even kinder Joyce with demon knowledge? A more confident Tara?

Wesley Junior and Taake like this.
  2. Wildfly

Wildfly blue fire

Black Thorn
    Yes, Cordy's 'alignment shift' made her a bit dull and unrecognizable.
    She is compassionate, considerate, understanding and in general Angel's second line of defense. Which is fine, but i miss bitchy Cordy from BtVS and season1 AtS :(

But she is not the only one whose character changed so in similar circumstances in both shows :'(

Thought they get it right with some characters - i do like what they did with reformed Faith, she is completely recognizable and convincing and human Anya's bluntness was much needed and appreciated. (Sorry if it's a bit off topic of season 3 AtS)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    Samuel Reyes likes this.
  3. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I really didn't like her character from S3 on. She was too compassionate for my enjoyment. I like blunt Cordelia more. It made her few sweet moments much more special.

GwenRaiden and thetopher like this.
  4. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Oh I can't stand season 3 Cordy. It wasn't development, it was removing everything that made Cordy Cordy, washed out and disappointing. Suddenly her only function was to become Angel's love interest, not to be her own character. Boo. Probably why I didn't miss her at all in season 5, I thought she'd been missing since season 2.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 8, 2015 ---
    I shudder to think.

Fuffy Baith and thetopher like this.
  5. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Yea i pretty much agree with what @Taake said. I didn't like the Cordy/Angel thing and i prefer Cordy on BtVS because i like her contrast of being the blunt, shallow, bitch but having those sweet heart felt moments every now and then. That's less so on Angel.

6. Samuel Reyes

Samuel Reyes Chilling in SunnyD

I thought she was OK for the first half of the season. After 'Waiting in the Wings' I can't stand her. With that short blonde hair and mystical glow I couldn't even tell it was Cordy, like WTF? Sometimes I wonder if they only made her blonde so it would make sense why Angel is especially attracted to her since, as we all know, he has a thing for strong blonde women.

Cordy was at the peak of her development in Season 2, when she was still blunt, but softened around the edges. Though I have a fondness for Season 1 Cordy as well.

Guy, Wesley Junior and VisionBoy like this.
  7. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

This is why I still prefer Cordy in Buffy, because in S2 and 3 of that show they make her more human, without losing that comic edge and the traits which made her standout in the first place. Its true that she progresses even more on Angel, but I also think that the moment they give her the visions and try to make her a darker character than you lost something.

Cordeliagirl and Guy like this.
  8. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    I liked her fine up until around the time Groo came back... then when she returns from her vacation, she has officially become "Cordy Sue". (For the most part anyway; I see an odd glimmer of the old Cordy every blue moon or so)

I can only guess that they had to make her kinda vacant for the crappy love triangle to stretch to the end of the season. Plus they were leading up to the whole "higher power" stuff, so that was probably part of their thinking. I've always imagined season 3 going in different ways for her- different ways the Cangel stuff could have been done and different ways her half-demon thing could have been handled... but I think it all comes off very "means to an end" and forced.

I'm just grateful for "You're Welcome".

Samuel Reyes likes this.
  9. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I didn't really like the whole Groo story because it was a step back for the Cordy character. It made for some good comedy, but I agree with you that they shouldn't have brought him back.

Cordeliagirl: Agree with u
    VisionBoy and Cordeliagirl like this.
  10. vellavu

vellavu Scooby

Black Thorn
    He would make a nice Buffy S6 character though. Male Polite Anya vs Female Rude Anya!

11. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I'm with the consensus; the character bland-ification happened in S3, not 4. When Cordelia comes back from vacation she's almost unrecognizable to me. She's only there to interact with Angel and ignore Groo and then finally 'ascend already'.

There are a couple of moments of her old spark- especially relating to Holtz- but the fact that she never even interacts with Wesley? Incomprehensible given their previous relationship and what Wesley had done in her absence.

Sad as it is to say, given the direction that the show was headed in post-S4- Cordelia just didn't fit in the show anymore; her 'Cordy Sue' in S3 meant that she'd 'outgrown' the rest of the cast; she wasn't grey enough.

The writers could've done something new with the character I guess; keeping her character faults and working with them. Wouldn't Cordelia be tempted by W&H's offer given her past? I think she still would; for her pride if nothing else.

GraceK, Cordeliagirl and Mr Trick like this.
  12. Benz

Benz Potential

This is other thread that makes me wish Cordelia stayed on Buffy.

Cordeliagirl likes this.
  13. Cordeliagirl

Cordeliagirl Oh, Buffy, we're sisters! With different hair.

Sineya
    Yes, I wish Cordelia and Oz stay on Buffy, and Cordelia forgive Xander and went out with Xander and best friend with Buffy and Friends with Williow, and work at magic shop and babysit Dawn for buffy, to earn money to go to college and live with Buffy after Season 3, so she wont get killed and die on Angel and Anya and be on Angel, Anya can help Angel with Demon Knowledge and Tara can help Angel with Magic and Jenny atill alive and be on Angel show and Help Angel with Magic too.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 22, 2017 ---
    Also have buffy verse Angel, like this: Buffy, Spike, Cordelia, Xander, Williow, Oz, Dawn, Giles, on Buffy and on Angel: Angel, Faith, Anya, Doyle, Tara, Gunn, Fred, Wesley, but Conner and Jenny are on both side of Angel and Buffy. Spike vs Angel, Buffy vs Faith, Xander vs Doyle, Cordelia vs Anya, Oz vs Gunn, Williow vs Tara, Giles vs Wesley, Dawn vs Fred.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 22, 2017 ---
    Also i mean Jenny on both Buffy and Angel show , and Conner on both Angel and Buffy show, that way their both Friends and Allies of Buffy and Scoobies and Angel and Gang.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  14. Cordeliagirl

Cordeliagirl Oh, Buffy, we're sisters! With different hair.

Sineya
    No i dont think that Cordelia was tamed in Angel Show, but also dont like that idea that she become demon and Doyle die or give his vision to Cordelia or both, and they shouldn't have her on Angel show.