1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Does dawn actually have a soul?

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by S Rou, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy Neutered vampire who cheats at kitten poker

Sineya
    I don't think you need an excuse for why it wasn't hard for Buffy to bond without Dawn. As far as they both knew, they knew each other their whole life and still had the memories even when they found out the truth. Using someone else's soul isn't that crazy of an idea, but you can't back it up by saying that's how they bonded.

Priceless likes this.
  2. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

I wanted to add that if souls can be captured in magic orbs, and Buffy can be pulled from Heaven, then I think that implies that much more can be done to them--including the destruction and/or restructuring of souls.

That said, there's a difference in capturing, altering, and otherwise dominating something and from making it out of nothing. That depends on what a soul is and what it's made out of. If a soul is made from "natural ingredients" (like say life from genetic material already present) then even creating one should be possible.

3. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Is it difficult or time-consuming?

Black Thorn
    The Key/Dawn Summers. Molded into the likeness of a human, teenage girl. But she is not really human, nor does she possess a soul.

giphy.gif

The Key. Pure energy; not human. No soul.

200w.gif

4. S Rou

S Rou Townie

Didn't someone say that in the comics, it's revealed that she does have a soul but it's not a human one or something like that?

5. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Is it difficult or time-consuming?

Black Thorn
    I've never read the comics (And probably never will). Everything I say is based upon what I've seen on the show.

6. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

Anyone who knows me knows that this absolutely drives me crazy! I mean the Scoobies never would've stood for this! I mean look how upset they were when others messed with there memories/lives (see Superstar/Tabula Rasa). Plus how did Buffy go from nearly attacking Dawn in No Place Like Home to telling everyone that if Dawn dies they all die by the end of season. No way! Not buying it for a second. o_O
    That's a rather good point that was weakly explained in the episode cause of their blood being the same. Whatever! Keep singing that tune, Joss. :rolleyes:

S Rou likes this.
  7. S Rou

S Rou Townie

Agreed. The Buffy from seasons 1-4 never would have stood for it. The monks should have been smacked for doing what they did to buffys and everyone else's lives. Willow and Xander were way better and much more supportive of Buffy than dawn ever was and yet she was willing to sell them and their lovers and Giles out for dawn after everything all those years and all they did for her. This was just Whedon trying to force dawn down our throats because he knows how insanely unpopular she is among the fans.

8. Priceless

Priceless She doesn't just fight evil, she redeems it

You are right. I was just wondering what the effect of a borrowed soul, especially one Buffy and Joyce already 'knew' would have on the Buffy/Dawn/Joyce relationship. I think it could also be the reason Dawn was so 'childish' even as a 14 year old; because the soul was from an 8 year old, and needed time to mature and catch up with Dawn's physical age? All just theory obviously :)

9. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul I AM GROOT

Dawn might possess a soul but it's not a human one. Because Dawn isn't human, never was. And if she has a human soul it can't be her own because Dawn was never born. A mystical key reshaped into human appearance supposedly by using Buffy's blood. But it's still magic that gives Dawn this form and magic also makes her continued existence possible. As the comics show, you take magic out of the world and Dawn goes away. Therefor Dawn isn't human and wouldn't require a human soul.

S Rou likes this.