1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Fan Fiction Recommendations!

Discussion in 'Introduction To The Watcher Diaries' started by dcai0830, Jul 20, 2017.

1. dcai0830

dcai0830 "Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."

I have been in the fandom forever and just recently started reading fan fiction (Yes - I know I'm like 10 years late). But I never realized what amazing writers there are out there (and also some amazingly horrible writers lol).

What are your favorite fan fictions? Do you have any that you love/recommend? I would love to hear from you on your favorites and why they spoke to you.

I'm a Bangel so I'm partial to Bangel fanfiction and I'll probably post some of my favorite Bangel fan fictions in this post but for now I would love to recommend a fanfiction that is mainly Cangel (with a Bangel love triangle so to speak).

As Time Goes By by Yahtzee
    As Time Goes By Chapter 1: Everybody Comes To Rick's, an angel fanfic | FanFiction

You will recognize Yahtzee from the undoubtedly the best fan fiction of the fandom (Phoenix Burning - if you haven't read that you really just need to go read it) but this smaller scale story is also extremely beautiful. She is a phenomenal writer. I would literally pay her money and commission her if I could to just continue to write in the fandom.

Bangels LISTEN to me when I tell you not to be deterred by the Cangel angle, the story is still phenomenal and also just keep reminding yourself that its non canon! If you are a true Bangel at heart you will literally cry and cringe the entire way because it is so wrong and yet still even with how much I am inherently unable to see Buffy and Angel with anyone else this story was beautiful and it was captivating. Also, made me want to watch Casablanca again.

2. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

I don't read much Fan Fiction anymore, but a couple of my favorites were "Moving On," and its sequel, "Keep On Moving," by Cass, located at the Spuffy Realm. They were written prior to the Dark Horse continuation Season *, and involved Spike's reunion with Buffy to Rome in the first, and their troubles with the Immortal, who turned out to be a very sore loser, as well as an evil S O B, in the sequel. Obviously, once the comic book series began, all hope of actually meeting the Immortal disappeared. Another was "Furlough," by Kindred, another Spike/Buffy post Season 7 reunion piece, by Kindred (That was a scenario that I particularly liked) which is NC17 rated, so youngsters need not read it.

Another is "Because It's Wrong," by Mahaliem, a scene in an alley where Spike confronts Buffy about what he thought that she had said to him in the Bronze during the Faith/Buffy body swap. You don't need to be a Spuffy to appreciate it.

dcai0830 likes this.
  3. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I mostly read Xander fanfiction, I have posted a long list a while ago with many fic recs, however, my absolute favorite story will always be the first one I read Sands of Time by James and Wolfing. Xander finds a new home with Giles, and a new relationship with Spike. AU, late Season 1 onward.

They exaggerate the abuse Xander receives at home (mostly physical abuse) but the growing father/son bond between Xander and Giles is very well written and heartbreaking. Xander's relationship with Spike takes the backseat to the Xander/Giles story. I love how Giles being Xander's guardian changes Xander on the academic level, that scene when Xander gets his first A will always be carved in my mind.

Another story I adore to bits! Divided, its sequel Two's Company, and its sequel Male Bonding by Jackson: Spike gets hit by Toth's mojo instead of Xander. This is the funniest, most charming Spander fic. I never get tired of reading it.

Another fic of Jackson I love to pieces is Sweet Revenge. This one, however, is extremely angsty. It's a rewrite of S5, with a Spike who is following Angelus' method of breaking the Slayer's friends first. Spike has a plan to hurt Buffy by using Xander, but Xander has an unexpected effect.

Anna S is one of the best Spander authors: Sidelines and Subtitles : the first one is what if Xander was the gay Scooby instead of Willow.

The Giles Thing and New York by Drsquidlove are the best Xander/Giles fics to date.

Cuckoo in the Nest by Liz-Marcs: Tony Harris always knew there was something off about the kid. From the day he was born, he and Jessica never had anything but bad luck. Told completely from Xander's father's POV.

Lilac City by nwhepcat: Xander/Faith. After the fall of Sunnydale, Xander resigned as the heart of the Scoobies, creating a solitary life away from the supernatural wars. He manages a supermarket in Spokane, stays sober, keeps to himself. But now, five years later, his quiet life is about to change forever, in ways he can't possibly imagine.

4. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I've read some Spangel and Tillow fics which were good, but my favourites are two Spuffy fics by Sigyn; Darkest Dawn in which Dawn becomes a vampire suck whore, similar to the ones Riley used to visit. Pet is a very dark timetravel piece in which Spike keeps Buffy as his pet and eventually kills this version of her. Both stories are dark, violent and disturbing but of course have happy Spuffy endings. I love the fluffy stuff too, but its the darkest stuff that really grips me.

5. Puppet

Puppet Hands in the hair!

Black Thorn
    Like Priceless, I ship Spuffy so have unfortunately never read any Bangel (except for one, that was advertised as Spuffy but had a Bangel ending) but I'll jump on the train anyway :)

My absolute favorite story of all time is the Origins series by Niamh over at Elysian Fields. It is a breathtaking series in three stories with some one shots in between. The Spuffy is very predominant, but it's worth a read even if you skip the more smutty Spuffy parts.

The basic premise (and there is nothing basic about this incredible series) is that, beginning immediately after The Gift it changes canon in many ways. We truly see Willow's descend into misuse of magic (story is written by an actual wicca/witch, don't know to the correct word, don't wanna offend her) as she researches how to bring Buffy back, telling only Xander of her intentions. A huge chunk of the first story is before Buffy is resurrected.

There is so much to love here; the author creates a truly believable friendship between Tara and Oz following the expected Tillow breakup, Dawn goes through angst that makes you cry your eyes out, god, I can't even say anymore because if anyone wants to read it, it would spoil too much. It is just a stunning piece of fiction and everyone should give it a shot, Spuffy fan or not.

Also, for the non-Spuffy ones, I adore the Compelled series by Hotpoint over on FF.net, American Girls with a focus on Dawn/OC-Slayer (don't know the author's name, sorry) and I once read a Spander fic that made me actually believe in that pairing, too bad I don't remember title or author, lol.

Priceless and dcai0830 like this.
  6. Somecallmejames

Somecallmejames Member of the Church Of Faith

I usually read fanfiction about Faith. My personal favourite is this one: https://m.fanfiction.net/s/2052846/1/

It shows what would have happened if Faith got chosen, instead of Buffy. While it's a shame that it will probably never be finished, it does fix problems the original show had.

Blair likes this.
  7. HowiMetdaSlayer

HowiMetdaSlayer Occasionally, I am callous and strange.

8. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    I think I read a number of them . I like Beer is Bad especially the beginning. .