1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Favorite Buffy or Angel quote?

Discussion in 'Inside Out' started by Buffy Lover, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Buffy Lover

Buffy Lover Townie

I just wanted to know what was your favorite line or quote from Buffy the vampire slayer or Angel. If you want you can put more than one line or quote.
    Mine favorite quote from Angel is "if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do" - Angel
    "I may be dead, but I'm still pretty" - Buffy
    "Out. For. A. Walk. B****." -Spike

2. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

ok I swear I'm not suicidal but this one...

Buffy : I don't know how to live in this world, if these are the choices. If everything just gets stripped away. I don't see the point.

After losing 2 people (both were very young and sudden deaths) and it being the first real experience with death/grief I had to deal with, I felt exactly like that and couldn't form the words to express it. I felt like everything was meaningless and if I was going to spend the rest of my life losing the people I cared about then I wasn't sure I wanted to keep living. When I rewatched the show for the first time in like 10 years, I started crying because of how much I related to her in that moment in my life. I think it's why her sacrifice/suicide in The Gift resonates so much with me. I would have jumped too if it meant not losing someone else I cared about.

I also adore her cookie dough speech. That's how I feel now. :)

And for AtS, it's this one...

Angel : Well, I guess I kinda worked it out. If there's no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters... , then all that matters is what we do. 'Cause that's all there is. What we do. Now. Today. I fought for so long, for redemption, for a reward, and finally just to beat the other guy, but I never got it.
    Kate : And now you do?
    Angel : Not all of it. All I wanna do is help. I wanna help because, I don't think people should suffer as they do. Because, if there's no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness is the greatest thing in the world.

Yes, I know. How original! But I'm a sucker for existentialism and the absurdity of life. This one works on so many levels and one of the things that matter to me the most is empathy. I think it's the greatest quality of human beings and there's just something about this moment that is extremely human and universal even though it comes from a vampire lol.

3. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Spike: I'll dance with you, pet....on the slayer's grave!

Love that line. :)

Slayerofslayers and Buffy Lover like this.
  4. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    If I had to choose just one quote for Buffy, it would be the one which, to me, represents Buffy as a character and Buffy as a show:

Angelus: That's everything, huh? No weapons, no friends. No hope. Take all that away and what's left?
    Buffy: Me.

Buffy being a girl and not just a slayer is so important to my perception of her that the post high-schools season never felt like true Btvs. Buffy was always a show about a teenager who was also a vampire slayer. Throughout the seasons, the struggle between slayer and girl drove the show, but, in that moment, Buffy the slayer and the girl are one. Buffy always has herself and knows who she is. It doesn't matter if she's a slayer or not, Buffy always has her spirit.

For Angel, likewise, the single quote that truly represents Angel as a character and show is this one:

Angel: Well, personally, I kind of want to slay the dragon. Let's go to work.

Note that the first sentence is essencial. Angel (and Buffy) has always faced his mission as a champion with humor. He chose to fight, but gave everyone a choice and would never think less if someone had chosen not to fight along side him. Angel gave a lot of great speeches, but he wasn't a self-righteous character. He will always share his mission with whomever wants to, but everyone deserves to find their own path. Ats is about freedom and individuality as much as it is about a group sharing a vision. All of the characters are unique and offer their own set of values and skills to the group. They also had a choice to join it. "Personally, I kind of want to slay the dragon." is as much of a testament to the show as "Let's go to work" is. Fighting is a choice and everyone can fight differently. Doesn't matter if you fight for redemption, like Angel, or just for kicks, like Illyria, everyone has their place in the world and in the big fight.

5. Antho

Antho Potential

Not my favorite but I like it

[​IMG]

6. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Jotunheim

Black Thorn
    "No longer do the dance of joy, Numfar!"

"Well, buckle up Rupert...'cause I've turned pro."

"In my time, nightmares walked among us. Walked and danced, skewering victims in plan sight, laying their fears and worst desires out for everyone to see. Just to make us laugh."

"You actually sleep with this guy?"

"They're looking at the wee little puppet man."

Bluebird: LOVE that Illyria quote
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  7. CharlieGunn1

CharlieGunn1 Ready for battle...

That episode is chock fully of qouty goodness... But that is a crowning moment for Willow's evilness. She's never as threatening again as when she literally goes dark eyed on Giles the man who helped guide her, loved her, and helped make her who she was.

Willow "Two to Go."
    "Come on, this is a huge deal for me! Six years as a side man, and now I get to be the Slayer"

It's like six years of fury and disappointment summed up in one line. Willow is the most powerful Scooby, but when she loses her emotional control, she's even more dangerous.

Holland Manners "Reprise"
    "We have no intention of doing anything so prosaic as 'winning.'"

With this one quote Holland manner sums up Wolfram & Hart. They aren't in it to "win" they live to play the game, to try and twist and manipulate the world as they see fit. They realize that they are evil, and aren't just fine with it, they willingly embrace it. They don't mind losing on occasion as long as they get to continue pulling the strings. They are an intractable enemy, with seemingly endless resources... and they know it.

Giles "Spiral"

GILES: Look, everything will be all right, we just need to stay here calmly. As soon as Buffy arrives-

A large Winnebago (RV, motor home) drives up and screeches to a halt in front of them. The windows are all covered with aluminum foil. The door swings open.

GILES: -we'll feel oddly worse.

Sorry this line just makes me laugh... the perfect delivery.

8. Carrie Hopewell

Sineya
    *Warning* Extremely long post. TL;DR

I'm clearly not done quoting things! There are so many quotes I like. Starting with the obvious ones:

City Of
    Russell: "But you’re a civilized man. We don’t have to go around attacking each other. Look at me: I pay my taxes. I keep my name out of the paper, and I don’t make waves. And in return I can so anything I want!"
    Angel: "Really. Hmm. Can you fly?" "Hmm. I guess not."

Sense and Sensitivity
    Angel points at the broken window: "Wow. That's vandalism."
    Doyle: "Ah, we'll take care of it later."
    Angel: "We should leave a note."
    Cordy: "Would you come on?"
    Angel: "What's the magic word?"
    Cordy: "Urgh!"
    Angel: "No, I don't think 'urgh' is the magic word, if one would *call* it a word. And even then it's certainly not a magic one."
    Cordy: "We don't have time for this!"
    Angel: "There is always time to be considerate of others, Cordelia."
    Cordy huffs: "Oh, please!"
    Angel: "See? That wasn't so hard now, was it?"

Angel: "You know, Anthony you could be a rainbow and not a (hits him over the head and drops him) painbow. (Kate stares at him) I mean, it really is all up to you."
    Kate shakes her head: "You."
    Angel turns towards her and smiles: "No, you."
    Kate opens her arms to him: "Come here."

I Will Remember You
    Cordy: "Batten down the hatches, here comes hurricane Buffy".
    Cordy: "Oh, they'll be into this for a while. We still have time for a cappuccino and probably the director's cut of 'Titanic'."

Man: "Temporal folds are not to indulge at - the whims of lower beings."
    Woman: "You are wrong. This one is willing to sacrifice every drop of human happiness and love he has ever known for another. He is not a lower being."
    Man: "There is one way. But it is not to be undertaken lightly."
    Woman: "We swallow this day, as though it had never happened. Twenty-four hours from the moment the demon first attacked you, we take it back."
    Angel licks his lips: "Then none of this happened and Buffy and I.. What - what'll stop us from doing the exact same thing again?"
    Woman: "You. You alone will carry the memory of this day. - Can you carry that burden?"

Hero
    Doyle: "Is this it? Am I done now?"

The Prodigal
    Angel (speaking of his dead father): “What are you talking about? He can’t defeat me now.”
    Darla: “Nor can he ever approve of you, in this world or any other. What we once were informs all that we have become. The same love will infect our hearts even if they no longer beat. Simple death won’t change that.”
    Angel: “Love? Is this the work of love?”
    Darla steps closer and smiles up at him: “Darling boy. So young. Still so very young.”

Sanctuary
    Angel: "Where are you gonna go? Back out in that darkness? I once told you that you didn't have to go out in that darkness. Remember? That it was your choice. Well, you chose. You thought that you could just touch it. That you'd be okay. Five by five, right, Faith? But it swallowed you whole. So tell me, how did you like it?"
    Faith hesitantly: "Help me?"
    Angel: "Yeah."

Faith (to Buffy): "You're all about control. You have no idea what it's like on the other side! Where nothing's in control, nothing makes sense! There is just pain and hate and nothing you do means anything."

Blind Date
    Wesley: "There is a design, Angel. Hidden in the chaos as it may be, but it's there and you have your place in it."

Judgment
    Angel: "I thought I was out of the tunnel."
    Cordy: "Sure you did... because the tunnel is - you know, it's something we all... Are we talking real tunnel or symbolic? Just give me that much."
    Angel: "I-I saw the light at the end of the tunnel - that some day I might become human. That light was so bright, I thought I was already out."
    Cordy: "Yeah. We all got a little cocky, didn't we? It's gonna be a long while until you work your way out but I know you well enough to know you will. And I'll be with you until you do."
    Angel: "What about your inevitable stardom?"
    Cordy: "I'm not saying I won't have a day job."

Faith: "The road to redemption is a rocky path."
    Angel: "That it is."
    Faith: "You think we might make it?"
    Angel: "We might."

Darla
    Darla: "Turn me back. God! I can't bear this pounding in my chest for another instant!"
    Angel: "It's gift. Too feel that heart beat, to know, really and for once, that you're alive. You're human again, Darla. You know what that means?"
    Darla: "Of course I do. It means pain and suffering and disease and death. Look, I released you from this world once, I gave you eternal life. Now it's time for you to return the favor."
    Angel backs away a step, just looking at her: "Favor - is that what you think? - You think you did me a favor? - You damned me."

Buffy Lover likes this.
  9. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    The Gift
    Buffy:
    "Dawn, the hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live. For me."

Amends:
    Buffy: "
    Strong is fighting. It’s hard and it’s painful and it’s every day."

Prophecy Girl
    Master: "
    You were destined to die! It was written!"
    Buffy: "What can I say? I flunked the written."

Epiphany
    Angel:
    "If there's no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters..., then all that matters is what we do."

Beer Bad
    Xander:
    "What did we learn about beer?"
    Buffy: "Foamy!"
    Xander: "Good. Just as long as that's clear."

Two to Go
    Dawn:
    "You're back on magicks."
    Willow: "No, honey, I am the magicks."

Passion
    Angel:
    "[...] If we could live without passion, maybe we’d truly know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank… without passion, we’d truly be dead."

Lovers Walk
    Spike:
    "Love isn’t brains, children, it’s blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love’s bitch, but at least I’m man enough to admit it."

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Buffy Lover and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  10. Antho

Antho Potential

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Buffy Lover likes this.
  11. Carrie Hopewell

Sineya
    Since I accidentally posted without finishing my post, this is part 2. I like to be thorough...

Reprise

Angel: "You're not gonna win."
    Holland: "Well no. Of course we aren't. We have no intention of doing anything so prosaic as 'winning.'"
    Angel: "Then why? [...] Why fight?"
    Holland: "That's really the question you should be asking yourself, isn't it? See, for us, there is no fight. Which is why winning doesn't enter into it. We go on no matter what. Our firm has always been here. In one form or another. The Inquisition. The Khmer Rouge. We were there when the very first cave man clubbed his neighbor. See, we're in the hearts and minds of every single living being. And that friend is what's making things so difficult for you. See, the world doesn't work in spite of evil, Angel. It works with us. It works because of us. Welcome to the home office."
    Angel: "This isn't..."
    Holland: "Well, you know it is. You know that better than anyone. Things you've seen. Things you've, well done. You see, if there wasn't evil in every single one of them out there why, they wouldn't be people. They'd all be angels."

Epiphany
    Lorne: "I'm not deaf, you know? Jeez, keep your pants on! Well, I see we're a little late with that advice."

Kate: "I just couldn't... My whole life has been about being a cop. If I'm not part of the force it's like nothing I do means anything."
    Angel: "It doesn't."
    Kate: "Doesn't what?"
    Angel: "Mean anything. In the greater scheme or the big picture, nothing we do matters. There's no grand plan, no big win."
    Kate: "You seem kind of chipper about that."
    Angel: "Well, I guess I kinda worked it out. If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. 'cause that's all there is. What we do, now, today. I fought for so long. For redemption, for a reward, finally just to beat the other guy, but... I never got it."
    Kate: "And now you do?"
    Angel: "Not all of it. All I wanna do is help. I wanna help because I don't think people should suffer, as they do. Because, if there is no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness is the greatest thing in the world."
    Kate: "Yikes. It sounds like you had an epiphany."
    Angel: "I keep saying that. But nobody's listening."

Heartthrob

Cordy throwing herself at Angel: "Earthquake!"
    Angel: "Subway!"
    Cordy lets go of him: "Okay, just subway."

Angel: "I am okay."
    Cordy: "Then - what's the problem?"
    Angel: "That I'm okay. That losing Buffy didn't kill me. That I could deal with it. In all those years, no one ever mattered. Not like she did. And now she's gone forever."
    Cordy: "And you're still here."
    Angel: "Yeah. I just feel like I'm betraying her somehow."
    Cordy: "No! If you were a loser, if you were some sick obsessed vampire, you'd go to a Snod demon, or whatever, and get your heart cut out. But you're not! You're a living, breathing... Well, living, anyway, good guy, whose still fighting and trying to help people, and that's not betraying her, that's honoring her."
    Angel: "You think?"
    Cordy: "I'm Cordelia. I don't think. I know. Okay?"

Lullaby

Angel: "You always did love a view."
    Darla: "Look at it. Listen to it. Can you smell it? This world. This horrible world. Why would anyone want to bring a baby into it?"
    Angel: "To make it better, maybe?"
    Darla: "Or to destroy it finally."
    Angel: "Why is it everyone insists on planning my son's future before he's even born?"
    Darla: "Alright then, how's this? It doesn't have a future. Not with me."
    Angel: "Darla..."
    Darla: "Angel, I can't have this baby."
    Angel: "What?"
    Darla: "I can't let it out. I-I can't."
    Angel: "Okay, not sure you have a lot of choice in the matter..."
    Darla: "Look, I know. It wants to come out. I can feel it. It's ready. It's just - I can't let it. I can't let because... because..."
    Angel: "You love it."
    Darla: "Completely. I love it completely. I-I-I don't think I've ever loved anything as much as this life that's inside of me."
    Angel: "Well - you've never loved anything, Darla."
    Darla: "That's true. Four hundred years and I never did - till now. - I don't know what to do."
    Angel: "Well, you-you'll do the only thing that you can do. - You'll have it. You'll have it and then..."
    Darla: "What? We'll raise it?"
    Angel: "Why not?"
    Darla: "It's impossible."
    Angel: "This whole thing is impossible, Darla, but it's happening."
    Darla: "What do I have to offer a child, a human child, besides ugly death?"
    Angel: "Darla."
    Darla: "You know it's true."
    Angel: "No. What I do know is that you love this baby, our baby. You've bonded with it. You've spent nine months carrying it, nourishing it..."
    Darla: "No. No, I haven't been nourishing it. I haven't given this baby a thing. I'm dead. It's been nourishing me. These feelings that I'm having, they're not mine. They're coming from it."
    Angel: "You don't know that."
    Darla: "Of course I do! We both do. Angel, I don't have a soul. It does. And right now that soul is inside of me, but soon, it won't be and then..."
    Angel: "Darla..."
    Darla: "I won't be able to love it. I won't even be able to remember that I loved it. I want to remember."

Angel: "You're gonna be okay."
    Darla: "No. No, I don't think so. Once he's gone, I won't be okay. I won't be okay at all. I don't know what I'll be. Angel... Our baby is gonna die right here in this alley. You died in an alley, remember?"
    Angel: "I remember."
    Darla: "I wanna say I'm sorry. I wanna say it and mean it, but - I can't. - Aren't you gonna tell me it's okay?"
    Angel: "No."
    Darla: "No? It's really not, is it? We did so many terrible things together. So much destruction, so much pain. We can't make up for any of it. You know that, don't you."
    Angel: "Yeah."
    Darla: "This child - Angel, it's the one good thing we ever did together."
    Darla: "The only good thing."
    Darla: "You make sure to tell him that."

Tomorrow
    Angel: "Some day you'll learn the truth and you'll hate yourself. Don't. It's not your fault. I don't blame you."
    Connor: "Liar!"
    Angel: "Listen to me. I love you! Never forget that."
    Angel: "Connor?! Connor, never forget that I'm your father and that I love you."

Deep Down
    Angel: "What you did to me was unbelievable, Connor. But then I got stuck in a hell dimension by my girlfriend one time for a hundred years, so three months under the ocean actually gave me perspective. Kind of a M. C. Esher perspective but I did get time to think. About us, about the world. Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh, and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions. It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world was what it should be, to show it what it can be. You're not a part of that yet. I hope you will be. I love you, Connor. Now get out of my house."

Orpheus

Faith: "Dude, you just rescued a puppy."
    Woman: "Oh, my stars! You saved her, Mister."
    Angelus: "I'm in hell. This is hell, and I'm in it."
    Woman: "Oh, gee, big fella. How can I thank you?"
    Angelus: "We haven't fed on a human in decades. She's begging for it, you moron!"
    Angel: "Get lost."
    Woman: "Beg pardon?"
    Angel: "Take a hike, Betty. Scram."
    Woman: "Well, pound snow, you mook!"
    Faith: "We're relieving Angel's good deeds. You are in hell. Wicked!"

Angel: "Faith, listen to me. You saw me drink. It doesn't get much lower than that. And I thought I could make up for it by disappearing."
    Faith: "I did my time."

Angel: "
    Our time is never up, Faith. We pay for everything."
    Faith: "It hurts."
    Angel: "I know. I know."

Home
    Wes: "It's a lie."
    Lilah: "Lah. It's a Lilah."

Lilah: "Flames wouldn't be eternal if they actually consumed anything. (Wesley looks heartbroken) But it means something that you tried."

Angel: "Son...you have to listen to me. This is about Jasmine."
    Connor: "Jasmine's gone."
    Angel: "I know. We all felt it, that perfect love, then when you had to give it up—"
    Connor: "I didn't feel anything! I can't feel anything. (scoffs) I guess I really am your son... 'cause I'm dead, too."
    Angel: " You're not dead. You're just starting your life and—"
    Connor: "No, you just weren't there before!"
    Angel: "I know. I'm so..."
    Connor: "Do not say you're sorry! Doesn't fix anything."
    Angel: "Ok, look, let me say this. I love you, son."
    Connor: "It's a lie."
    Angel: "It's not."
    Connor: "It's always a lie. My dead mother couldn't even love me."
    Angel: "You're wrong. She did."
    Connor: "No. No. She knew she couldn't."
    Angel: "She sacrificed herself because she loved you."
    Connor: "You tried to love me. At least I think you did."
    Angel: "I still do."
    Connor: "But not enough to hang on, dad. You let him take me. You let him get me. You let him get me. Cordy... you swore you loved me. Where are you now?"
    Angel: "Connor... you have to believe that there are people who love you."
    Connor: "Jasmine believed you when you said you loved her, but it was all a lie."
    Angel: "Jasmine was the lie."
    Connor: "No! She knew if you found out who she really was that you'd turn against her, and she was right. That's just what happened. People like you. People like this. None of you deserve what she could give you. She wanted to give you everything."
    Angel: "I know how that feels. 'Cause I want to give you everything. I want to take back the mistakes, help you start over."
    Connor: "We can't start over."
    Angel: "We can. I mean, we can change things."

You're Welcome

Cordy: "We take what we get champ, and we do our best with it. I'll be seeing you."[...]"Oh, what the hell. One more for the road." [...] "Oh, and Angel? You're Welcome."

Shells

Illyria: "We cling to what is gone. Is there anything in this life but grief?"
    Wes: "There's love. There's hope, for some. There's hope that you'll find something worthy, that your life will lead you to some joy, that after everything, you can still be surprised."
    Illyria: "Is that enough? Is that enough to live on?"

Origin

Connor: "You gotta do what you can to protect your family. I learned that from my father."

Not Fade Away

Illyria: "Angel told you to do whatever you wanted. Today... tonight, you may all be dead."
    Wes: "Yes. Good point."
    Illyria: "I am not what you want."
    Wes: "No."
    Illyria: "Then why?"
    Wes: "Don't I go off and have one last perfect day? Smell the flowers, or sky-dive, or have a go with Mistress Spanks-A-Lot... or whatever the hell one is supposed to do in this situation."
    Illyria: "Mistress who?"
    Wes: "There is no perfect day for me, Illyria. There is no sunset or painting or finely-aged scotch that's going to sum up my life and make tonight any...There is nothing that I want."
    Illyria: "You want to be with Fred."
    Wes: "Yes. Yes, that's where I'd be if I could."
    Illyria: "I could assume her shape, make her come alive again this once for you. But you would never ask me to."
    Wes: "The first lesson a watcher learns is to separate truth from illusion. Because in the world of magics, it's the hardest thing to do. The truth is that Fred is gone. To pretend anything else would be a lie. And since I don't actually intend to die tonight, I won't accept a lie. Is it better?"
    Illyria: "It's better."

Angel: "Go home...now."
    Connor: "They'll destroy you."
    Angel: "As long as you're OK, they can't. Go."

Illyria: "Wesley's dead. I'm feeling grief for him. I can't seem to control it. I wish to do more violence."
    Spike: "Well, wishes just happen to be horses today."
    Angel: "Among other things."
    Gunn: "OK. You take the 30,000 on the left..."
    Illyria: "You're fading. You'll last 10 minutes at best."
    Gunn: "Then let's make 'em memorable."

12. Buffy Lover

Buffy Lover Townie

you gave me some awesome episodes to rewatch Thank you!

Carrie Hopewell: You're welcome! Thanks for reading my long ass posts :)
    Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  13. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Black Thorn
    "You have reached Ritual Sacrifices! To sacrifice a goat, press 1...Or say 'goat'."

This kills me EVERY TIME. Yesssss. :D

DeadlyDuo: What episode is that from?
    Buffy Lover likes this.
  14. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Black Thorn
    Angel S5 episode 1 - "Conviction."
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 ---
    Ooopsie! I mis-quoted that dialogue from Conviction. :p

Here's the correct version, plus an additional line:

[Angel dials the phone incorrectly in his new office]
    Automated voice: You have reached Ritual Sacrifice. For goats, press "1" or say "goats."

Automated voice: "...to sacrifice a loved one or pet, press the pound key."

Buffy Lover and Carrie Hopewell like this.