1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Feminist Review

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by sosa lola, May 16, 2016.

1. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I've just started watching her reviews. Her thoughts on feminism and the clash between second wave and third wave were interesting and her knowledge of the show is great. I do have to disagree that Jesse's humor is sarcastic and Xander's goofy, I've always seen it as the opposite. Also, Jesse's attempts to flirt with Cordelia are more awkward than Xander around Buffy.

Guy and Mr Trick like this.
  2. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I will take a look. Am a bit down on modern feminism but when linking the different waves to Buffy it could be interesting. Yeah Jesse isn't sold very well in his brief appearance. I'd agree that Xander is more sarcastic, although he does do goofy also. Willow is more the goofy one.

3. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

It's interesting when watching the early seasons how goofy and innocent Willow actually is. Xander seems far more worldly around her. A feel a switch between their personalities will happen in the later seasons when Xander becomes goofier and Willow more serious.

Guy likes this.
  4. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Not sure, I'd say that Xander becomes more serious as the show moves on or certainly more mature. Willow I think from the start is a very grounded character, but does have quite distinct moments of goofy human to her personality, but yeah by about S4 she's not as goofy I'd agree with that.

5. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I was thinking more regarding his humor. In the beginning he used to have a sharper wit and generally more sarcastic, but later on he loses the sarcasm to characters like Spike and Anya and his humor is more silly and goofy.

Mr Trick and GwenRaiden like this.
  6. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    Which is funny since they were both demons :D

7. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I would highly recommend this review, it taught me a lot, both about Buffy and feminism. Very enjoyable and she declares herself a Giles/Angel shipper :eek: The episodes are split into parts and are about an hour in total, which is a bit long for me, but she does go in to depth and includes history, film, politics etc. and this is probably why it has taken her two years to finish reviewing the first season :) Thanks @sosa lola for the recommendation

sosa lola and Mr Trick like this.
  8. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    Her 'Prophecy Girl' review was great!

And I love how the Buffy youtube community is growing. The Passion of the Nerd, Feminist Review, and there's even this guy, who reviews all of the Buffy/Angel comics!

sosa lola: Great to see someone reviewing the comics! I'll check it out.
    Priceless and sosa lola like this.
  9. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I will take a look too when I get the chance:)

Priceless: Dusted is next on my list to catch up with
    Guy likes this.
  10. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Wow, think that's the first time I've heard the idea of those two together! What an unusual ship.

ChaseRules: You & me too. I would have thought him more with Spike . After all he seemed to get along more with him what with living in the same house :)
  11. Priceless

Priceless I am now

She says that Giles is fascinated by the first vampire he's ever been close to, after studying them so long, and he's quite shy and coy when talking to Angel. It's in her review of Out of Sight . . .

Taake: Interesting!
    Taake likes this.
  12. ChaseRules

Sineya
    So he does all the comics ? That sounds nice . How good is he at that I was wondering. Also I really like Feminist Review. It really got a lot of detail in it :D

13. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    He already did all of seasons 8 & 9, and almost all of season 10 (including 'Angel & Faith'), and a general review of 'After the Fall'. He didn't do all of the non-canon IDW stuff, though.

He's not as academic at it as the other two reviewers, maybe, but I think his videos are great. He offered some really interesting perspectives on season 8 and the Willow mini-series, and he's got all kinds of interesting videos that deal with a specific idea rather than a single issue/arc.

14. ChaseRules

Sineya
    Thanks & I think I try him out plus it sounds nice he has videos with idea instead of just a issue /arc. Like to see what he said on the Willow mini-series :D

Guy likes this.
  15. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    @sosa lola Thank you for sharing that! I've seen one of her reviews and I'm in love. She's a badass feminist, my type of people :p

16. ChaseRules

Sineya
    I like her too. She really got passion for what she doing &that what keeps me coming back to her :)

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  17. Carrie Hopewell

Sineya
    When is she reviewing the next season?

18. Priceless

Priceless I am now

It's taken her two years to do the first season :) But she is great, I can't wait for season 2

19. Carrie Hopewell

Sineya
    Yeah... two years... Season 1 is the smallest one... She is great, but I've started to notice a tendency with her that I don't like. She keeps saying things like "Some feminists say this or that. But Joss wasn't being sexist here." If she said something like "Some people think this is sexist but I don't agree." I would be okay with that, but instead it's like she's trying to compare someone's feminist with her own and it's like she's trying to pit feminists against each other. I'm not saying she does this on purpose, but I do think it's sexist. She also uses the expression 'radical feminist' sometimes and she shouldn't. A lot of people call reasonable feminists 'radical', it's a pejorative term used against feminists often and there is no actual definition of radicalism (I've been called a radicalist and some people would consider Joss a radical feminist as well). Again, it makes it seem like her version of feminist is the ideal one and the other feminists are wrong in their way of thinking. It is possible to do a feminist review without criticizing other feminists... It just bugs me. Makes her sound very preachy too.

20. Priceless

Priceless I am now

She does say 'some feminists . . . ' a lot, but I think she is trying to compare and contrast with her own views, and in no way pit feminists against each other, or I certainly didn't read it like that. It just felt like she was putting an opposing argument and then disagreeing with it, perhaps being a devils advocate. She obviously loves Joss and holds him in a very high regard, and that could come across as a little irritating.

Radical feminism is a standard term I thought. It isn't a bad thing, it's just the name of a group who believe certain things. I admit I never thought of it as a pejorative term, and I didn't feel that she felt that either.

This is her review, it is very subjective, as all reviews are, so it's understandable we won't always agree, but on the whole I did agree with most of what she was saying, although her admiration of Joss annoyed me a little, especially when she made him horror-Joss to illustrate how wrong others views of him were, but as I say, all reviews are subjective and there are things I will never agree with.