1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question First Reaction to S8

Discussion in 'Season 8' started by chasesummers, Apr 11, 2015.

1. EVIL UU

EVIL UU Scooby

No, it doesn't but it's not going to be an amazing Buffy story. Fan fiction exists to please the shippers, to pander to them, to make them happy by generally creating a positive outcome to their romantic pairing of choice. Canon exists to troll shippers, to mercilessly play with their feelings and to leave them feeling miserable after ruining their favourite couple in the most painful way imaginable yet another time. Do you understand the difference? Keywords: misery, pain, suffering. If your romance does not end with a break-up or at least a lover's death...or both it's not a Buffy romance, it's not a Buffy story - it's just shipper garbage. Fan fiction writers don't get it - they don't understand that despite the comedy, the drama, the slice of life, at it's very core BtVS is a horror story. Somebody just needs to get axe-murdered.

thetopher: Good point.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    thetopher and VisionBoy like this.
  2. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

While I agree that fanfiction will always be directed at a certain audience and not everybody, I disagree that it's only about shippers. In fact, I've just read a great fanfiction about Xander and it's gen minus the canon ships. However, it's about Xander, so it's not everybody's cup of tea, same goes for a Spike fic or a Willow fic. So, even if a fanfic has an excellently written plot, characterization and dialogue, it'll still be targeted at a part of fandom and not all.

Silverspike likes this.
  3. AAXL98

AAXL98 Guest

Call me a hypocrite but I really like Season 8, I re read Vol. 1 and then I read Vol. 2 and it was just great stuff! Fray's appearance made it even more awesome. I'll be getting the other volumes pretty soon but I'm still not quite sure if Season 9 is worth it.

sosa lola likes this.
  4. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    Loved season 8 at first. Sure there were bits that made me go "wha?!!", but I really enjoyed them for the most part. It was later on that things went south for me.

thetopher likes this.
  5. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

Just finished season 8. It had a few very interesting and compelling issues (No Future For You and Wolves at the Gate being my favorites) but as a whole it was a real mess. I loathe the Twilight arc. It was ridiculous and has some of the worst characterization I've ever seen.

I'm not sure now that the comics are for me. I feel like I should keep reading them because I want to know what happens and I always want more buffy. But at the same time I'm really not into how much it values shock over story. If the rest of the comics are like that then I don't see myself enjoying them much.

6. Guy

Guy Scooby

Black Thorn
    I love season 8 to bits... It's different than what came before, and that's GREAT, because shows that don't change end up being like soap operas. Season 8 was a great new chapter of 'Buffy', and it's one of the best, IMO.

Oh, if that bothered you, then you should like seasons 9 & 10. They're very different, and much more like the show. Season 10 especially, it's very nostalgic. Which is unfortuante for me, because I loved season 8, but most people didn't, so...

7. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I think you would really enjoy S10. It's pretty much like the show. I also loved S8 like @Guy, I loved the dialogue and the different directions the characters took and the new character dynamic like Giles and Faith, it was such a joy to see.

Guy likes this.
  8. DoktorRock

DoktorRock Potential

There was an initial "culture shock" (different and to me unfamiliar medium, the general omnipotence of the story) that needed some accustoming but now I think S08 (+ Goddesses & Monsters) is by far (!) the best and profoundly written comic season. S09 (both BtVS and A&F) isn't even close to the quality and let's better not talk about S10 which piles one trivial "Life Lesson" onto the other. Speaking of soap operas...

From the perspective of mere writing quality (ignoring natural downsides of the medium like missing actresses/actors), I rank it higher than S01 and far higher than both UPN seasons. In my personal ranking, it currently shares the fourth podium with S05.

Guy: My opinion on seasons 6, 7 & 10 is much higher than yours, but other than that, I agree.
    sosa lola and Guy like this.