1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

First time you watched - what was your reaction to Anya sticking around?

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by YummySushiPJs, Apr 10, 2017.

1. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Scooby

After The Wish we assume that's the last we will see of her. Then she pops up again in Dopplegangland for a kind of sequel to The Wish. But then after that she keeps popping up more and more. Do you remember what you thought about this first time you watched (before you knew she was going to become a regular)? Did you like her, were you happy to see her again, were you suspicious she was going to cause more trouble? Or, like me, can you not even remember? :D

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  2. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    I seem to remember thinking she was going to be what Jonathan became, a semi recurring character that pops up every so often when needed for a storyline.
    Though I did begin to wonder if she was going to become the bad guy again at some point when she started appearing all the time.

thrasherpix and Fuffy Baith like this.
  3. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I was surprised by her re-appearances in Season 3 but overall I remember liking them the first time around. Anya seemed to fit with the episodes she was in and was quite useful/amusing.

I was less thrilled when she turned up in S4, she seemed like a much different character; like an exaggeration of what she was before. A caricature.

Puppet and Living Dead Boy like this.
  4. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    I think indifference was my reaction? Anya grew on me progressively, but probably more so from season 5 onward. In season 3, she was still too new for me to have much of an opinion, and in season 4, her existence was just weird. I feel like only after season 5 does Anya make sense on the show and as a character. I cried for her when she died though, which, at the very least, means that I liked her the first time I watched the show. I never got the feeling that she was evil. I always saw her as harmless.

Fuffy Baith and Zenseem like this.
  5. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Agreed. Almost like she forgot she used to be human and blended in with them.

Fuffy Baith and thetopher like this.
  6. Professor Walsh

Professor Walsh Feminist slayerette

Black Thorn
    I can't remember my reaction at all.

7. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    It was kind of "oh, there she is again". I though she was going to be just a secondary characters that pops up every now and then as @Last Watcher said. But I think I really started loving her after season 5. Oh, and she deserved so much better than that crappy death of hers.

*SPOILERS* from the comics (Season 10):

At least they gave her some kind of closure in Season 10 finale. I cried so much when she forgave Xander and died in his arms. It was far more deserved ending for such a good character.

8. Cordeliagirl

Cordeliagirl Oh, Buffy, we're sisters! With different hair.

Sineya
    I dont like Anya that much, i perfer cordelia stick around with buffy.

9. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I don't think I remember if I cared or not about Anya hanging around after season 3. I love season 3 Anya. She's interesting and complex and partly evil. They took all that away and made her into just the comedic relief. She's got some great moments but they're to fast and in between that is not character development. And while I love Selfless, I think Anya's backstory came way too late.

Yea, I agree, this is how I feel as well.
    That's what I wish they did with Anya. I'm not a fan of Xander and Anya as a couple, so I didn't need her around just to be his love interest for 4 seasons! Move on Xander! (Onto Cordelia. Lol)

Puppet likes this.
  10. S Rou

S Rou Potential

At first, I found her to be kind of odd and a bit annoying because I knew that xander and her got together rbut at the time I was so into XanderxCordelia. In S4, her presence felt odd like she was only there for Xander, not because she actually cared about Buffy and Willow or their mission. But as the episodes rolled on, I found her growing on me and I really grew to like her and she shines really brightly when she gives her famous speech in "the body" and then in selfless she shows tremendous growth and redemption and that she actually did develop a conscience.

Now, I consider her to be Xander's true soulmate, not Cordelia... If Cordelia has a soul mate, it's probably Doyle... They got along so fantastically and had so much potential until Whedon killed him off.

I haven't read the comics yet but I know it's confirmed that Tara is in heaven waiting for Willow. I read somewhere that it was confirmed that Anya is "at peace." I'm assuming this means she's in heaven... I like to think she's with Tara and she's waiting for Xander.

For me the soulmates go: BuffyxAngel, WillowxTara, XanderxAnya, CordeliaxDolye

11. Bloody William

Bloody William Potential

The Wish was a great episode and I thought Anya was a fun one off character. When she appeared again it was a welcome surprise. After she became a regular she grew into one of my favourite characters. I think Emma is s great actor and played Anya brilliantly. Plus she's hot ;)
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 28, 2017 ---
    'The Body' speech makes my cry every time too!!

Fool for Buffy likes this.
  12. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy "I wanna see how it ends"

Sineya
    I knew I wanted Anya to be a regular after The Harsh Light of Day. She was already hilarious. I liked her better than Cordelia and I really wish she and Xander had gotten married. And I definitely think Anya was really important to the show in seasons 5 and 6.

13. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I can remember thinking that Anya was just a replacement for Cordy, with some of the same personality traits, like 'honesty'. She did eventually develop further in that role, and I came to like her but I do prefer Cordy.

Puppet likes this.
  14. DarkGoddess

DarkGoddess The babe with the power

If you're talking simply season 3, then I remember I was somewhat indifferent to her. Mostly thought she was the little recurring sub-character, like Johnathan at the time. After S3 I was so hardcore on the Willow camp that just because Willow couldn't stand her I leaned towards a more negative view.
    I mean come on in the first 24 hours upon meeting her, Willow punched Anya in the face.
    Then again I was really young. Anyway today I'm loving her

Priceless likes this.
  15. Living Dead Boy

Living Dead Boy Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss

Black Thorn
    Well when I started watching Buffy, it was during season 6, so Anya was already an established character, so I never really questioned it. She was hilarious and painfully honest, and I liked that about her. Although it did seem like there was a difference between season 3 Anya, and season 4 Anya, as the original Anya seemed like she'd gotten used to the whole being human thing. It looked like the writers wanted a Cordelia replacement so bad, they dumbed her down a bit. But in this instance, I didn't mind, cause you know, Anya's a riot. :p