1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Giles not attending Xander's wedding...

Discussion in 'Introduction To The Watcher Diaries' started by sosa lola, Jul 12, 2017.

1. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

Missing Scene
    Set before Hell's Bells

Phone was ringing, but Giles wasn’t answering. Xander’s leg jittered uncontrollably, and he jumped when Anya tossed more bridal magazines on bed next to him. He pressed the phone hard against his ear, trying to concentrate on the ringing over Anya’s non-stop whining.

“Can’t you convince your dad?” She was walking in circles in her bathrobe, flipping through one of the magazines. “What’s a wedding without a photographer?”

The ringing tone ended with the unfortunate busy signal, so Xander dialed Giles’ number again. “Look, my dad is already spending more than his budget allows. You and I can chip in for a photographer and maybe cut back on some things.”

“Good thing we got cheap materials for the bridesmaids’ dresses.” She pulled the towel off her head and flipped her wet hair, spraying Xander’s face. Suddenly, her eyes were wide with horror. “What about the flowers? Every wedding should have flowers!”

“Hello?” Finally, Giles picked up the phone.

“Hey, man, it’s me Xander.”

“Xander, the flowers!” Anya lifted his chin until his annoyed eyes met her frantic ones.

“We can’t afford the flowers, honey!” He brushed her hand off his chin and focused on the phone call. “Uh, hey, G, how’s the homeland?”

“Rains every hour, and I believe I got accustomed to sunny weather.” There was a weary sigh. “If it’s not urgent, Xander, I’m quite busy at the moment.”

“I’m just calling to remind you that the wedding is next week. You haven’t got back to us and I thought…”

“I’m afraid I can’t attend the wedding.”

Xander blinked. “What?”

“We’re in an unfortunate crisis. The council needs me.”

Trying to comprehend what he just heard, Xander swallowed the huge lump in his throat. “But, Giles, it’s my wedding.” He hated how desperate he sounded.

“I’m extremely sorry, Xander, but if there’s anything I can do… I hear you can’t afford flowers?”

He wouldn’t have missed Buffy’s wedding, Xander thought resentfully. “Sorry I wasted your time.” He slammed the phone shut and inhaled a shuddered breath. “Giles isn’t coming.”

Anya spun around with a huge grin, failing to notice his distress. “Great. Now there’s an available seat for whatever bimbo your Uncle Rory is bringing.”

He didn’t want to rain on her parade, so he decided to leave the bedroom and breathe in the fresh air out in the balcony. Some life went into his numb lungs as he stared at the lit empty streets. Maybe it was time he stopped kidding himself that Giles gave an ounce of a damn. There were those few times when Giles had laughed at his jokes or teased him, and there were those couple of hugs that Xander cherished. But none of them had meant a thing. He was just some kid Giles knew. Time to wake up and smell the apathy. He meant nothing to the man.

On his wedding day, Xander walked into the main room with Willow and to his shock, the place was decorated with flowers.

“Giles sent them,” Willow said with her ‘surprise!’ smile.

Xander looked around the place with a tug at his heart. Maybe Giles cared a little.

(This little piece is inspired by @sulietsexual‘s latest meta about the Xander/Giles relationship.)

Priceless: Awww :-)
    Priceless likes this.
  2. Cordeliagirl

Cordeliagirl Oh, Buffy, we're sisters! With different hair.

Sineya
    Nice i like it.

sosa lola: Thank you!
    sosa lola likes this.
  3. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy Neutered vampire who cheats at kitten poker

Sineya
    Honestly I think Giles should have been at the wedding for Anya as much as for Xander. They worked together, and she actually adored him. But him not being there makes the entrance in Two to Go more dramatic.

Priceless likes this.
  4. Cordeliagirl

Sineya
    At least, he send a flower for them, i wish cordelia was there.

5. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I get why the writers didn't want Giles there (the dramatic entrance in Two to Go) but I wish they kept the deleted dialogue between Willow and Dawn about Giles sending the flowers to Xander's wedding. I would have also loved to see Xander and Anya's reaction to him not attending. I don't see Anya fretting about it, but I could see Xander feeling rejected by it.

Fool for Buffy and Priceless like this.
  6. Cordeliagirl

Sineya
    Maybe Anya like or love Giles, that why she probably not fretting about it.

7. Ethan Reigns

Ethan Reigns Scooby

Sineya
    In "Tabula Rasa", Giles had assumed he was married to Anya. That must have been awkward when he realized she was Xander's fiancé. I am not so sure that he was interested enough in Xander to the extent that he would spend more than half a day in the air to get there and more than half a day to get back.

8. Meliza

Meliza Townie

I hadn't even noticed Giles wasn't there all these years. It seems natural not every character is in every episode but I had forgotten the significance of event
    or actually its not 'significant" Anthony Head just wasn't available but for Xander's wedding?.... I kind of like it now.

Willow was naturally pained by Giles negative reaction to her spell, he is like a father figure to them all so it naturally hurts and there is the natural forgetting Giles isn't her watcher, he's Buffy's. And that goes for Xander as well. Now that does not mean his affection for them all is not genuine, it is.

What are the chances Giles would not be there at Buffy's wedding? walking her down the aisle, or even attending Dawn's? He wouldn't miss it. No offense Xander.

9. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

Poor Xander. *hugs him*