1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Give me you S7 story arcs, please !

Discussion in 'Season 7' started by flow, Jun 13, 2017.

1. flow

flow Male Vampires are stupid. Throw rocks at them

Since I have joined this forum ( about a very happy month ago) I have often read that people think the season 7 story arc was complete crap and S7 should have focused more on the scoobies and Spike should have been dusted three seasons ago.

I actually love season 7. And I love Spikes and Buffys story arc. And I don`t think they have been given too much time on screen. I would have loved to see even more of them. But I don´t want to discuss them or any opionions at all about S7 in this thread.

What I really would love to know is:

What would you have done with S7 ?

Remember, we have 22 episodes and this isn`t "Beverly Hills 90210" or "Friends". You can`t have some highschool buddies giggling about who is going to ask them to go out to the prom. They are adults in their early twenties and two of them have seroius jobs. One is going to university. You can of course include Giles but please make it plausible because a 22year old Buffy won`t run to him for advise anymore (or if she would it would be weird).

You can of course kill someone off but this would lessen his or hers time on screen. You could find a love romance but don`t forget that Willow and Xander have broken up with very serious relationships in S6. It would seem odd if they go for another romeo-and-juliet relationship just like that less than a year later. You can find someone for Buffy. Maybe Robin would be interesting. But again, this has to fill up 22 episodes. And remember, BtS is not only comedy and romance and fantasy. It is also a drama. It has to be.

So I dare you to tell me what you would have come up with for 22 episodes in season 7.

O, and don`t forget, Angel is quite busy on AtS. He cannot come for more than a flying visit in no more than one episode.

flow

Puppet likes this.
  2. Athene

Athene Scooby

Does anyone actually want to read my version of season 7 though? I'm not Joss Whedon, it's not amazing. :D

3. flow

I am not looking for a polished script ,-) I am just looking for a general idea. That means yes, I do.

I do think S7 is amazing as it is. This challenge is for those who don`t.

flow

Athene likes this.
  4. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

potato.jpg
    All right so check this out. After The Killer in Me, Kennedy helps Willow find her confidence again. The relationship between Willow and Buffy is not good. Things deteriorate further. Finally, there is a confrontation between them - a reprise of the scene from Two to Go. The difference is that this time Willow is not raving mad and veiny. Willow tells Buffy, "I've let you cry on my shoulder a thousand times, I gave Angel back his soul, I travelled to your subconscious, I took care of Dawn, I brought you back to life, I pulled a bullet from your chest, I sacrificed my academic future and I gave you Tara. Stop treating me like I am this heavy rock you have had to carry around for the last seven years." Buffy cries. They hug. Then Buffy, Willow and Kennedy jump into the air and do that thing were they kick their heels together as if they were going to Kansas. The next episode they take Felicia Day with them to the Hellmouth and kill all the über-vampires.

Puppet, flow and Athene like this.
  5. Athene

Athene Scooby

Well firstly I found Caleb boring and pointless so I'd replace him with the supreme ubervamp that almost killed Buffy to be the big bad along with the first. There are 10 potentials maximum so that we can actually 'learn their names' and actually sort of care for them.
    I'd scrap Spike/The first's entire plot because it didn't contribute anything to the ending of season 7 and therefore just consumed time.
    Spike can come back with his soul seeing as we can't edit season 6, and his arc will continue as it did minus the first plot.
    I didn't think that Xander getting injured was the right choice seeing as nobody really had a reaction to it apart from Willow. Also there's no caleb to poke out Xander's eye.
    I'm cutting Robin's character, so Faith is going to have to either try and seduce Giles or live with her needs forgotten. She's going to live with her needs forgotten.
    Showtime: Buffy, Faith and Spike are out on patrol with the 5 strongest potentials while Willow, the weaker potentials and the rest of the gang are at Buffy's house. The supreme ubervamp will pay an unexpected visit with his bringers and Willow will put up the spell she did in 'showtime'. Obviously the spell will faulter after a while and Willow can get seriously injured.
    After this, Buffy will give up her leadership for a while and hand it over to Faith because she doesn't feel like she's a good leader. But obviously finally she'll take her leadership back with a confidence boost from her friends.
    Angel can visit Buffy's house to give her the amulet so that way he can see Faith and kiss Buffy.
    Also, I'm having Faith wear the amulet in 'Chosen' so that she can be the hero and then go on over to Angel season 5 where she starts her love affair with Wesley.
    Perfection :D

6. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I would have Kennedy arrive and attempt to throw her weight around then immediately gets put in her place by the scoobies. One night everyone goes out on some sort of patrol but fall into a large cavern where Kennedy gets impaled on a very sharp spike of metal. The scoobies discuss trying to help her when they hear the scarab beetles from the Mummy films approaching and realise they have to get the hell out of there. Spike climbs out of the cavern first as he is the best climber and assists in helping everyone else get out. Buffy and Willow are the last two left alongside Kennedy who is still impaled. Buffy and Willow have the dilemma of "we can't leave her" whilst everyone else is like "Come on! You're running out of time!" Buffy convinces Willow to get to safety. Buffy tries to help Kennedy but knows it's no use. Buffy apologises then climbs out of the cavern. The scoobies look down into the cavern as the scarab beetles swarm over Kennedy and eat her alive, reducing her to bones. Willow suggests she might be able to restore her if she has her bones. The group then hear a rumble from beneath them. They look back down into the cavern and see a stampede of demonic elephants running over Kennedy's skeleton, reducing it to bone dust. Willow says she could still use the bone dust but a big gust of wind blows the bone dust away. Spike is just like "oh well" and goes to the pub. Everyone decides to join him and they all get drunk then wake up the next day with their faces painted. They wonder what happened and the closing credits are a montage of their drunken night out. :p

Puppet, flow and Athene like this.
  7. Athene

Athene Scooby

On...a very sharp spike of metal? No wonder Spike is so eager to leave her! :eek:

DeadlyDuo: Lol
    flow: Lol too ;.)
    Puppet and DeadlyDuo like this.
  8. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I was thinking more along the lines of she fell on something sharp sticking out of the ground but Spike assisting her demise works too. :D

Fuffy Baith and Athene like this.
  9. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    I have a few ideas that work well in my mind, so they probably suck, but I'll say them anyway.

Core Scooby goodness:
    First, this season would focus os the core scoobies and how the relationship between them has changed and, at the same time, stayed the same after so long. Willow would come back, let her insecurities take her over, be invisible, yada yada yada, and that would leave all the scoobies with a question: "Have our lives improved after we met? Did we get through so many potential world endings and continued friends just to be separated by time?" (Well, those were actually two questions, but still) That would leave them even more afraid, but this time fear is what brings them closes together. Crazy, right? Not so much if you ask me.
    Buffy wouldn't be an ass like she was in season 7. She'd be more like season 5 Buffy. The Buffy that'd sacrifice herself and fight until the end for the world, but also for the ones she loves.
    Willow would fight her insecurities and learn that the magicks don't control her
    I'd give Xander and Dawn more interaction, just like the one in Potential, showing how it is to be an outsider, to be there without really feeling like you matter. And Xander would be given the duty to handle the potentials, training them, and putting his watcher's abilities to work. He'd still lose an eye though.
    I'd give Anya a core scooby membership card. Selfless was a great episode and it would lead her to figuring out what her role is due to her unwilling acceptance of being human in a world she doesn't understand. She has to live with it, she's a human after all. The fact is, she doesn't have to stick around, so why does she do it anyway? These people who have accepted her, even if not fully, would give their lives in order to save everyone else's, and she feels like finally part of something. She had finally figured out what the universe had planed for her. She'd be the one to bring peppy speeches about how being around all these humans made her want to be part of it. She'd still die, though, but this time she'd be remembered.
    Giles wouldn't be a father figure anymore, nor a mentor. He'd be the old guy who helps them out, but, more importantly a friend to counton, and the person who's willing to make the difficult decisions who no one has the courage to do.
    And I'd plan the scoobies to end up the season without partners and make their statement in I Robot, You Jane come true and a foreshadowing because I love those.

The First:
    Ok, shit's about to get real.
    So, remember The First from Conversation With Dead People? Yeah, I'd keep him just like that: threatening and scary. Not that 'I'll send my eyeless minions after you' crap, but the real deal. Put that dead people appearence thing to work. That would work out just fine.
    Now, remember in Halloween? When Willow wore a ghost costume? Well, she kinda suffocated to death there, at least from where I see it. So, how awesme would it be if The First had manifested as her, manipulating the Scoobies into a trap, or maybe jeopardizing their plans and, more importantly, as a member of the core scoobies, and best friend of the slayer, she would be just perfect at guaranteeing The First's success. As a part of The First's plans, Willow would have been kidnapped (around episode 15 up until Dirty Girls, so no Orpheus Willow. Sorry guys) Buffy wouldn't have a clue about it. But they would eventually find out and that'd piss the hell out of her. She'd go after The First's ally, a impoved Caleb (but more on that later) and the vineyard war would take place, but this time is a more believable reason, which is Willow: Buffy's big gun and best freaking friend. That's a hell of a reason to battle an unknown evil.
    This may be flawed, I know, but it's a perspective not many people have thought about.
    Caleb wouldn't be that mysoginist prick hi is. He's just a worshipper of evil stuff that wants to bring chaos and ravoc to the world. As for him, He'd be part of a phophecy about the rise of The First. Kind of like the anointed one, that'd lead the chaos to the world. He'd be a dead human risen from the blood of a vampire with a soul (that's where Spike shows up) with nothing but pure evilness.

Other characters:
    Spike would not be so important for the season's arc. He'd be involved on the Caleb thing, but I haven't really thought of anything to do with him. He would come back with his soul and all, but there wouldn't be so much spuffy drama. They'd eventually have scenes together, but Buffy wouldn't forgive him so easily for the things he did. But they would make amends and become friendly again.
    I'd keep Andrew as a comic relief because I kinda like the guy but I wouldn't make him kill Jonathan.
    Faith would come back sooner and interact more with others. She'd try to show that she has changed without really showing, you know? She'd keep her badass surface but would eventually show more how she really is. Oh, and there would definetelly be some fuffy action.
    I'd like the return of some old characters for the final battle but I've spent all my criativity by now.

I think that's it. My head is all fuzzy right now and I have lots of things to do, so I can't really think of anything else.

Puppet, flow and Last Watcher like this.
  10. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

I would have made it to where we weren't quite sure if Giles was Giles or the First. Played that up for a long time and then have him be the First. This way the First would have first hand knowledge and would have been easily manipulating the whole gang the entire time.
    Definitely have way less potentials.
    No Willow/Kennedy (that was just horrible).
    I would just have the scoobies being scoobies and working out their differences. All those terribly long/boring military speeches and time wasted on the potentials could have easily been replaced with the scoobies having arguments, emotional conversations, and hell maybe even some fun.
    Robin would not even be in the show at all.
    The A/R would have actually been addressed.
    Way way way less Spuffy. He basically could have exited once we got closure on the A/R.
    I would have Buffy either be completely single or play around with Fuffy. There needed to be more Faith and Buffy whether platonic or romantic- I would have preferred the writers to start it out as Buffy is still angry and then they grow closer as allies and friends and then possibly lead into something romantic. It would have been the most organic relationship Buffy would have ever been in, if the writers would have done that.

flow and Last Watcher like this.
  11. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

You seem to think it's the story arc that is disliked, when at least for me (and I know some others) that's not the case at all. I know you like it so you probably don't understand that I find the writing terrible and not true to the characters. Mostly, I had a problem with General Buffy and her double standards, though mostly because she was acting so out of character, as were the others. When Buffy got thrown out of her house I actually backed it up to watch it again wondering what I had missed, and after which I assumed it was some dark magic, or at least the influence of the First, only to finally realize that it was terrible, character-violating writing to again promote Spuffy. And I'd be okay with Spuffy if it had been presented differently than it was.

Naturally, the AR would be addressed more. They actually did this very briefly but dropped it like a hot potato because they wanted to promote the Spuffy. Even if she sees Spike as the good guy now (though not letting him run loose while there's a trigger in place as the real Buffy would've never done, no matter how irresponsible she could be at times when in love*), she should have have a hard time trusting him at the gut level. Buffy should be shown struggling with it as much as Spike, since they decided to take it there in season 6, and the show was supposed to be about Buffy rather than Spike. (* And speaking of which another thing is this season doesn't mesh with the previous where she says she's not in love with Spike, she's just using him, but now is "not still in love with Spike." That said, Buffy telling Spike it's over and for him to move on in season 6 followed by her getting all upset when he DOES suggests maybe she did love him after all. Whatever, if Buffy loved him in season 6 then that should've been addressed as well.)

Personally, I actually don't mind the AR scene in season 6, though I wouldn't have put it in there myself. It actually fits the tone of the season--and the overall disrespect to the character of Buffy that reduces her to acting as helpless as she did when she lost her Slayer strength while Spike, once again, ignores Buffy's refusals, but this time Buffy finally does stop him, even if through her tears--and is a reminder that Spike is ultimately a soulless, evil thing no matter how much he may passionately desire someone. But then in season 7 it's all okay, just a brief moment of Buffy remembering the scene and then it's all about Spike's coming to terms with it than Buffy...and Buffy had the very rational concern of Spike's trigger on top of whatever she must be feeling from the events of season 6, but still lets him around Dawn and everyone else.

The writers had Anya mention Spike had special privileges for being Buffy's love interest and then acts like they should forgive as she remembers her own slaughter...but this ignores that at the time Anya said it she was human and no longer a demonic threat, while Spike WAS still a monster and very much Buffy's responsibility to stop in one way or another. Even a token attempt would fix a lot of it for me (say Xander builds him a cage, like the kind they'd hold Oz in on the nights of the full moon, but Spike breaks out all too easy).

They also underused the First. Only in one episode was it actually frightening. It should've tormented the Scoobies the way it had once tormented Angel...for example, imagine Warren/First tormenting Willow as much as Andrew (and pity they couldn't get AB to play Tara--I understand Amber's reason for rejecting it, but I'd have never confused the First pretending to be Tara, in fact it would really emphasize just how disturbing and evil the First is to violate Tara's memory like that to try to get Willow to commit suicide). Joyce/First could've also been devastating, as would Jenny Calendar ("you couldn't even save me"--gods, the First could really use this to taunt Buffy about sparing a trigger-Spike since Buffy being unable to kill Angel resulted in Jenny's death).

They could "go back to the beginning" in so many ways as they face the images of many who died (though they'd either have to use some special effects editing old footage or new actors in many cases), and could even show Xander having many "visitors" while recovering in the hospital (like Jesse and even Angel/First) and having Xander shown, even from a hospital bed, only becoming more determined to defeat the First rather than discouraged.

I'm even overlooking the more dangerous stuff...imagining someone getting orders from Buffy that is actually the First that messes them up, and if it wants to get diabolical it could send visions and ghosts of dead partners to the vigilante cops (or even inspire a shooter but be sure survivors see and hear Buffy), or heck, Caleb could even let the cops know where Faith is at, and who is harboring the fugitive. Of course attacking Buffy when she's alone, Dawn as she's driving back, or Xander in the hospital are also likely options, but would be extra...I wouldn't want this to get in the way of the above where they "go back to the beginning." (For the same reason the Potentials should be fewer or more in the background.)

That aside, to create a new story arc for seven 7 would, I think require a new one for season 6 as well. But my problem was not with the story idea itself, but how it was executed.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    ETA: Jenny/First wouldn't torment Buffy, but rather Giles which contributes to his trying to set Spike up to be killed. Xander might fall for that ploy as well. That would be a "back to the beginning" moment as well as presenting the First as a truly insidious evil that it normally didn't come off as to me.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    ETA II:

And I forgot to ask, how is this any weirder than asking her other friends (or Spike) for advice? Especially when it pertains to Gile's field of expertise?

Last Watcher and Zenseem like this.
  12. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

First of all, I wouldn't isolate Buffy and Spike. Been there, done that in S6. I'd start the season with the Scoobies coming together:

1) Xander and Spike bonding while Spike is staying at Xander's apartment.
    2) Willow and Dawn working on Dawn's issues with Dark Willow and coming out of it stronger.
    3) Buffy and Anya working over their differences.

With those storylines done in the beginning of the season, I'd introduce the potentials. Then the season would give us Giles' trauma over losing the council and how it affected him negatively. The potentials wouldn't be more than five or six characters, we get to know them through the Scoobies.

No Willow/Kennedy romance. Kennedy could still be gay, but she has a crush on Buffy. I'd work the Buffy/Satsu storyline from S8 here, but Buffy wouldn't sleep with Kennedy, she would just let her down gently and Kennedy would be Buffy's best and favorite potential.

Training the potentials wouldn't solely be on Buffy. Each Scooby will have a role here:
    a) Spike would teach hand-to-hand combat.
    b) Xander would teach archery.
    c) Dawn would teach languages and research.
    d) Anya would teach demon types and history.
    e) Buffy and Willow would handle outdoor training and trips to cemeteries.

I also wrote another version of Season Seven (Scooby-centric) The First trying to break the group while appearing to them as Buffy or Spike: Fooled by A Sauron.

flow: Now I have read it and I think it is wonderful. Are you going to continue it ? That`s not the end, ist it ?
    flow likes this.
  13. flow

Hi everyone,

thanks so much for you contribution ! It is going to take me a while to answer everyone and I will have to do it in more than just one post.

I love Vi ! She is the only potential I would have loved to see more of. Am I right that your S7 ends with the killing of the ubervamps ? That would be about Episode 15 or so ? I would miss the other six oder seven episodes ;-)

Even ten potentials would have been too much. No more than two or three (preferably Rhona, Vi and Amanda) that we get to know and the rest can camp outside in the garden and never have a single line. I am fine with Faith wearing the amulet. I wouldn`t like her having a love affair with Wes because he is still heartbroken about Fred. What about Faith and Angel ? And just out of curiosity: Would Spike still fight with them at the hellmouth ? Will he live ? Can he be happy with Buffy ?

I am fine with your changes but I am afraid I have to say that you cut down a lot without adding anything really new. Faith taking Spikes place does change the Story but cannot fill up the Screen time that is left when we have neither Spike nor Robin nor Caleb. It could be a 12 Episode season though, just like the S1.

I might be very mistaken but I am wondering if Kennedy is not your favorite character ? How is that possible ?
    I like the demonic elephants though.

I love his casual mysoginy ;-)

I believe that a lot of your ideas have actually been done in S7. Buffy is an ass at first but she comes to her senses finally and shares the power that has made her (seem to be) a cold hearted General. Willow succesfully fights her insecurities. Anya does give e very heartfelt speech about her love of humans and why she wants to be part of humanity and fight for them. Dawn and Xander do share their Feelings about being the "not special" ones and they both come to be just fine with their role.

Okay, Willow being kindnapped would have made going to the vineyard more plausible. That is true. But it is a plot change,not a story arc. And of course the writers could have chosen Fuffy instead of Spuffy. Being a huge fan of Spike and Buffy, I am glad they didn`t ;-)

Sorry, I have to leave now. I will be coming back to this later !

flow

Zenseem and Priceless like this.
  14. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

Felicia Day is just instantly likeable. I know very little about her except that. I know she did that World of Warcraft thing.

Notice that I said übervamps in plural, so that would be the closing of the Hellmouth in Chosen. I cannot think of anything I want to remove. I just want a happier ending for Buffy and Willow, and some Willow moral justice.

I am not going to respond to certain people talking about Kennedy. I guess people can guess how I feel :(

Athene, flow and Priceless like this.
  15. Athene

Athene Scooby

I wouldn't mind if there were just three potentials but I felt like that wouldn't be much of an army, not like ten potentials is either but it sounded better.

Since Faith comes in at the beginning of season 5, maybe while Fred and Knox are together, Wesley and Faith can have a fling. I prefer Angel and Faith to have more of a sibling relationship so I don't really ship them.
    Spike fights with them at the hellmouth and then he can skip off with Buffy into the sunset.

flow: I love that ;-)
  16. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I hate Kennedy. I dislike the way she pursues Willow and won't take no for an answer, I dislike the way she assumes Willow should take her side over Buffy's, I dislike how she throws her weight around, and I extremely dislike how she's suddenly included in Scooby meeting and treated like a Scooby just because she's dating Willow rather than actually earning it. I especially hate how she bullies Chloe then gloats about it. When the First can say "you helped cause this" in regards to Chloe's suicide WITHOUT needing to lie, you know there's a problem and it annoys me how nobody called Kennedy out on her behaviour.

flow: I got that. I was just trying to be funny ;-)
    Puppet likes this.
  17. Athene

Athene Scooby

But....Tara, Anya, Oz and Cordy?
    They all just squeezed their way into the Scooby gang because they're somebody in the gang's partner. They didn't earn it IMO. :D

flow: That is true. Everyone woh dated a scooby became a sooby, except for Spike and Angel.
    Priceless likes this.
  18. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

It took time for them to be accepted as a proper member of the gang, during which they assisted Buffy in various ways. Kennedy just showed up, started dating Willow and suddenly everyone accepts her.

19. Athene

Athene Scooby

Yeah but all Kennedy really did was invite herself to the Scooby meetings, and maybe she used her voice a little too much but so did the other potentials and Anya sometimes. All Tara, Anya, Oz and Cordy did in the beginning was turn up to the Scooby meeting because they were always with their boyfriend/girlfriend and therefore they went where they went.
    I wouldn't really call Kennedy accepted by everybody, it's just that nobody cared enough to tell her to back off. They had more important things to worry about than who was stalking Willow into their meetings.

Priceless likes this.
  20. flow

Now.....that really has the potential for a season story arc. Great idea. Kudos.

Well....Buffy and Xander are at their closest in S7. At least until the point where she discovers he has lied to her in Becoming and he takes part in that not-so-convincing mutiny in Empty Places. And I don`t see that much differences between Willow and Buffy either. And in my humble opinion being scooby doesn`t make a plausible plot for a whole season.

I do understand that people want to see their preferred couple in S7. I am lucky to prefer Spike and Buffy thus I am very happy with the writers decision. But it would take al lot of the beauty of S7 away for me if the writers hat decided to go for Buffy and Faith. Or Buffy and Xander. Or Buffy and...whoever.

Thank you so much for the link. I didn`t even know there was a forum for fan fiction on this board (I am not here long enough , obviously ;-) ). It`ll take me a couple of days to read this but I will definitely come back to you after that !

@thrasherpix: I am way too tired now to answer your post but I will do it tomorrow !

flow

BuffyBot22 likes this.