1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Go Fish, Inca Mummy Girl, or Reptile Boy. Which one would you keep?

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by Mr Trick, May 1, 2016.

1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Three rotten S2 episodes often talked of as the low points of the season. But if you could make a case for one to stay, or even for the other two being just so dire then which one would you keep?

Go Fish has to go;) straight away for me. The other two at least have cheesy appeal and are quite fun to watch in places. This episode is just pretty mean and out of order with its gender politics and the monster of the week is just too lame. It leaves a bad taste in the way the other two just don't.

Inca Mummy Girl is a guilty pleasure of mine, sorry!:p I like Xander's cheesy flirting, Willow's cute eskimo costume is possibly enough to give the episode a pass alone:) They at least try something with the link between Buffy and Ampata even if it doesn't quite work. Plus Buffy's overalls, super cute!:p

Reptile Boy has random fun moments, and Willow standing up to Angel and Giles is a great character moment for her, but I still think the theme of the episode is too on the nose, and the pace really drags.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    They all are good episodes. I would keep them all. They are far from rotten. If I had to dump one it would be Inca Mummy Girl.

3. Athena

Athena Tweedledum Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I would keep Inca Mummy Girl, it's the best of the three by far....

The only good thing about Go Fish is Xander in Speedos (boy looks hot!) everything else is terrible.
    I can't even think of a good thing about Reptile Boy
    I can think of a few good things about Inca Mummy Girl.... Ampata and Xander are cute together, Oz watching Willow, Willow's cute Eskimo outfit, Xander's first on-screen kiss.....

4. wooble89

wooble89 A Leaf on the Wind

Well I can't believe that bad Eggs isn't included in this rotten season 2 discussion, but eh...

Reptile Boy is pretty damn rough which leaves the others...neither of which I like. For some reason though I'm gonna say keep Go Fish just because it's a bit more on the silly side and I like Buffy breaking swimmer dude's nose. Plus I have it as exhibit A why Wentworth Miller is a terrible actor :p

Fuffy Baith: Go Fish!
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  5. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I really like Reptile Boy so I missed the memo on that one. I think it's a lot of fun. My least favourite out of those 3 is probably Go Fish, I find Wentworth Miller's dialogue delivery quite distracting, it's like he's phonetically sounding it out. Although I've not seen him in anything else. Maybe that's just how he talks.

Mr. Pole: LOL... wentworth miller.
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Hunga Munga and Mr Trick like this.
  6. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Don't watch Legends of Tomorrow then

Bluebird: Jeez... he must have sold his soul to become an actor
  7. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I would keep both Inca Mummy Girl and Reptile Boy. I mean it's a bit cheesy to go Buffy had one drink and almost gets devoured by a snake demon but all the same, I kind of love the ep. Cordy's fake laugh, her disappointment at the college boys interest in Buffy, Buffy being cute and Buffy (with really different hair from Cordy of course!), Xander at the Frat party, Cordy blaming it all on Buffy and co at the end... I kind of love Reptile Boy.

Inca Mummy Girl... well, there's Sven, I feel I need to support my countryman. :D Seriously though, it'll never be my favorite but it's a cute episode.

Go Fish... filler. Redundant. Just pretty silly. Though there is that moment when Buffy bashes a jock guy's head in for trying to grope her (if I recall correctly, it's not exactly my most re-watched...) It would have to go if I got to pick. The other two at least serve a purpose of some sort.

8. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    It was also the first episode in which normal humans are evil. They weren't witches or worshipping a snake monster, they were normal humans that were obsessed with winning.

9. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I actually like them all. I don't know, I guess I like bad episodes. They're more rewatchable than good episodes. Mostly because the character interaction in them is wonderful.

Inca Mummy Girl: I love the Xander/Ampada romance and the Buffy/Ampada parallels, also the introductions of Oz and Johnathan! I can't find anything I hate about the episode honestly.
    Reptile Boy: I love Buffy, Xander and Willow watching Bollywood movies. I really hated the Xander-humiliation scene in the frat house - it's so cringe worthy. I hate bullying. Period.
    Go Fish: Speedo Xander :D The whole Xander/Cordelia bits, Johnathan peeing in the pool, Scary Willow investigating. I didn't like the slut shaming of Buffy and her joke about doing it with all the team members.

thrasherpix and Fuffy Baith like this.
  10. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Keep Reptile Boy because its really the only one that's about Buffy.
    The other two- whilst they have their moments, are superficial when it comes to the overall character arcs of the season.

11. wooble89

Oh yeah interrogation Willow is fantastic. I didn't mind the slut shaming cause the point was that it was bollocks.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  12. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

The Scoobies watching the Indian dance video during the opening? Some decent Cordy comedy, and Willow standing up to Angel and Giles on behalf of Buffy?

I think Bad Eggs is more avenge than down right terrible. It actually has plenty of good stuff, its just overloaded with plot and characters, and doesn't feel tight enough.

I clearly read this episode very differently. I mean we are talking Fish rape here, and Buffy as a female is treated horribly during the episode. That's the difference for me, the other two can be pasted off as light, b-movie cheese, but this one is so much more crude and nasty with its gender politics. I don't think it works on any level.

Sternbeeere likes this.
  13. wooble89

Oh don't get me wrong...I would never say it works. It's still a bad episode. I think there's maybe just enough jokes around everything that made a bit more enjoyable overall compared to the other two mentioned.

The fish rape...I mean I can see where you're coming from, but to me it's so absurd it's just stupid. It certainly was a poor idea, but I'm less offended for proper reasons and more offended at the stupidity.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  14. Dolores

Dolores Professional sleeper

I LOVE Reptile Boy and I'm not remotely ashamed :D. I'd probably ditch Go Fish.

thetopher likes this.
  15. GwenRaiden

GwenRaiden AKA Apology Girl

Black Thorn
    I really like Inca Mummy Girl.

16. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    As much as it pains me to say it, I'd probably keep Inca Mummy Girl. It's my least favorite episode, probably my top 3 worst episodes of Buffy ever. But it does introduce us to Oz! and the first appearance of Jonathon. And some good Scooby moments.

I actually really like Go Fish, out of the 3 it's the one I rewatch the most. Willow is great! Cordelia is great! Xander in a speedo is great! And I like Buffy trying to date the swimmer to only realize he's the worst then breaks his nose. As for the slut shaming thing. Buffy's line doesn't bother me, I just take it as her trying to make a joke of it, cause it's so ridiculous. If anyone else had said that to her, then it would bother me. As for Wentworth Miller, I have seen The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow. I want to think that he's just playing the role overly cheesy. I've seen him be ok in smaller roles.

Reptile Boy is pretty bad. Another episode of Buffy showing interest in the "sensitive" guy, only to have him turn out bad. It completely glosses over the fact that Buffy and Cordelia were drugged, and could have been raped. Instead they are sacrificed to a phallic looking demon snake. Terrible metaphor! Some good moments though.

Monkey Pants likes this.
  17. Karol

Karol With a soul

Sineya
    OMG they're all so bad and trasy... can't choose lol

18. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

How does it gloss over it though? The frat boys are protrayed as idoits and bad people? Its not a dark episode per say, but then that's because that sort of thing just becomes the norm in Sunnydale.

19. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    Inca Mummy Girl has good Woz so I pick that one :)

20. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I just feel like Buffy and everyone should be a little more concerned. Yes Buffy is the slayer, but even she can be taken advantage of. I just think she should be more cautious about these things. Kind of like a Ted. The episode implies one thing and then backs out of it by saying well that's not what really happened, so let's forget the situation. Just bothers me is all.

Sternbeeere likes this.