1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Go Fish, Inca Mummy Girl, or Reptile Boy. Which one would you keep?

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by Mr Trick, May 1, 2016.

1. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I'd probably pick Inca Mummy Girl

2. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    For someone who like to wear baggy clothes makes you wonder both why he did that & we never saw Xander body again :oops:

3. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

Xander has a very low opinion of himself. He doesn't see himself as hot. Just like Willow. Both of them are too insecure.

(Some fanfictions claim that Xander wears all these clothes to cover the bruises - since most believe he's physically abused by his father - and I have a headcanon that Xander always wears long sleeves, especially in S3 even when it's summer, because he cuts his wrists and doesn't want anyone to know.)

4. dcai0830

dcai0830 "Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."

Reptile Boy. I happen to love this episode lol. (I know I'm weird).

Mylie likes this.
  5. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

The show could've delved into Xander's body consciousness more. Being body conscious is often seen as a female thing, alongside eating disorders which also plays into body consciousness. Males always seem to get overlooked eg if you think of an anorexic, you think of a girl etc. Having Xander face those issues could really shine a light on the topic of male body consciousness eg the preoccupation with size in regards to height, width and length.

I don't think Xander is physically abused but his home life certainly isn't great. It's more likely to be emotional abuse eg he gets ignored so his social needs aren't met, he gets blamed for everything so his confidence is destroyed etc. However, Xander did invite his parents to his wedding so it can't be that bad or was it a case of he wanted to invite his mom but his dad was the unfortunate addition that came with that?

ChaseRules: I thought they just showed up & Xander couldn't kick them out ?
    Mr Trick: Good point.
    Mr Trick likes this.
  6. dcai0830

Hang on why isn't TED an option on this list?!! WORST. EPISODE. EVER.

7. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy "I wanna see how it ends"

Sineya
    I don't think this is a list of the worst episodes. If it was I think Bad Eggs is much worse than Ted.

Priceless likes this.
  8. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

The show could have done so much with Xander, but alas, Joss and the writers were so short-sighted. That's why I enjoy Xander fanfiction and why Xander is a very popular character in fanfiction - he's second most written about character after Buffy at Ao3 - because there's so much potential to the character but it was never seized.

Of course he'll invite his parents to the wedding, even if they were abusive.

I can see him being slapped once or twice, maybe shoved around, especially when both parents are drunk out of their minds - which canonly it happens a lot. Xander says that he hates his family and that both his parents scare him - he prefers visiting Willow's mother over his own folks. I think most of Xander's issues with masculinity stems from home as well as his peers at school. He certainly learned his argument skills from his parents and does inherit their short-temper.

Fanfic writers like to add more layers to the characters, which I don't mind at all, except when they're bashing a character. Like I have just come across a fic in which Giles, Xander and Willow murder Dawn in The Gift to save the world. Giles, I could see. But Xander and Willow??? Xander who the thought of killing Ben was too difficult for him to complete? There's just so much Xander-Willow hate in Spuffy fics.

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  9. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

When did Xander say that about his parents?

10. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

As You Were:

XANDER: I hate my uncle. I hate my whole family.

Forever:

XANDER: You going home?
    WILLOW: I'm gonna stop by my mom's first. Been doing that a lot lately.
    XANDER: Yeah. I actually might stop by your mom's too. (she looks at him) Well, I'm not going to *my* place. Those people are scary.

11. dcai0830

Nothing that has B/A smoochies and Lyle Gorge could be as bad Ted! Lol. ;)

Fool for Buffy likes this.
  12. ChaseRules

Sineya
    I also believe that Xander had a low opinion of himself . And I thought from the dream Xander had at least after beating Addam showed that his family hurt him . Am I wrong in thinking that o_O

13. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I don't get the Ted hate. It has its issues, but Rittter and SMG's performances alone make it at least solid.

Bad Eggs is the next level up IMO. There's enough good things in there to make it a passible 6/10 for me.

The thing about Xander and Willow lacking confidence? Well that is the point of the show. It is about growing up. Come season 4 Willow is a much more confident character.

14. ChaseRules

Sineya
    True . In Season 4 Willow is using magic & going out with Tara so we can saftly say Willow really grew up in Season 4.