1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Him and Help

Discussion in 'Season 7' started by Cordeliagirl, Apr 27, 2017.

1. TriBel

TriBel Potential

As long as he's above the age of consent and not a vulnerable adult, the age difference is immaterial. How much older are Buffy and Willow - 4 years? Would we be asking this question if the gender was reversed? The difficulty is with Buffy's job - she has a duty of care. That aside, I thought it was a poor episode that used a ludic vehicle to raise valid questions about the nature of love, sexual attraction and the extremes people go to prove their love. Since the preamble was about Buffy's feelings towards Spike, I presumed the episode was an exploration of their relationship rather than commenting on love in general.

From that perspective, this remark from Dawn after Buffy rescued her from the train lines was telling: "But if I did this then his whole life he'd know there was someone that loved him so much they'd give up their life...And it would be true forever".
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 26, 2017 ---
    I wondered something similar - whether only those who were consciously or unconsciously looking for a relationship fell under the spell - but your reasoning is probably better.

2. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

It's a plausible theory. It could also be a proximity thing like with pheromones.

gnarl likes this.
  3. TriBel

TriBel Potential

Oh God - I probably shouldn't be discussing this here! Haiku - is short (3 lines) but a very restrictive form in terms of metre etc. It also has a very long tradition (as do Slayers). Spike's (TBH, I've read worse but it's not Yeats) some rhyming couplets but otherwise it's free verse and doesn't follow any particular rules (It reminded me of that "No you're an idiot...I'm a rebel" remark). That would make sense - on the surface he appears devil-may-care but underneath he's looking for structure. She has too much structure in her life and is looking for freedom (which of course is what you said!). Teacher - Giles? I can teach and appreciate poetry but I can't write it. You'd better start a thread!

Puppet and Priceless like this.
  4. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Haikus also don't rhyme.

Puppet likes this.
  5. TriBel

TriBel Potential

True - it was looking for a rhyming alternative for gleaming that lead to effulgent (I think). I'm sure I read somewhere that Cassie's poem alluded to Marvell's "To His Coy Mistress".

Getting back to RJ - Lance is talking about his concerns for RJ because RJ was interested in geek stuff and poetry. The implication being, he thought his brother was "kinda gay" or sexually unattractive before he had the jacket. Xander and Spike are there (obviously) - Spike is turning angel ornaments round so they don't face him. I'm sure there's some profound message here but it's not shouting loud enough for me!
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 26, 2017 ---
    "XANDER That, my friends, is the smell of sweet, sweet, victory. ANYA Also, burning cotton-poly blend". Feasible - (although there's a bit of a problem because it align women with animals and monsters who have an enhanced sense of smell). No - I can make it work. Does it hark back to Beer then? Didn't Buffy go round sniffing people?

Puppet likes this.
  6. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I'm sure I read somewhere that pheromones actually play a big part in relationships. Something about how women can be attracted to different types of men at various stages of their cycle because of pheromones eg when they're at their most fertile, they tend to find athletic men more attractive whereas when they're not on that stage of their cycle, then tend to find less athletic men more attractive. There was something about how people tend to look for partners with similar pheromones (or opposite- one of the two) and that aftershave and perfume actually confuses the pheromone compatibility test.

It was something like that.

TriBel likes this.
  7. TriBel

TriBel Potential

I must stop thinking out loud! It really works with what I had in mind so thanks very much. I had an idea that BtVS was moving towards a notion of the embodied mind - a consciousness/sense of self that's located in the body rather than just the intellect. Pheromones mark a baseline - yay! I didn't think it was a very good episode but now the pieces have fallen into place. It makes sense - even the puberty bit makes sense.