1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Hot Topic: What if Spike had not been paralyzed in Season 2?

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by Buffy Summers, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Buffy Summers

Buffy Summers Yataro Staff Member

Sineya
    How different would season 2 have been had Spike not been put in a wheelchair? Would season 2 have been better or worse if Spike hadn't been paralyzed?

2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Much different. Angel would not have been as much as an antagonist to Spike thus his reluctant hero's journey would not have started. Having Spike be lame was the only way it could have played out.

It would have been worse. His being in a wheelchair added a lot to the story. It was also comical seeing a vampire in a wheelchair.

thetopher and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  3. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I agree with what @Mr. Pole is saying. They needed Spike in the wheelchair to give him motivation to turn on Angelus and side with Buffy. Though originally he was supposed to be killed off when the organ fell on him, so the wheelchair was a saving grace in that respect.

As for whether season 2 would've been better or worse without Spike in the wheelchair, I would say it would've been different and could go either way. It would've certainly changed the Angelus/Spike dynamic and they needed Spike to really hate Angelus. In which case the wheelchair was necessary.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  4. GoSpuffy

GoSpuffy Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer

Black Thorn
    I think Spike would have hated Angelus equally in either scenario but the wheelchair forced him to find a way other than fighting to take him down. Without the wheelchair I think we would have seen a full on fight between the two for Dru.

5. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    LOL The idea of season 2 Spike trying to fight Angelus. LOL. I needed a laugh.

6. GoSpuffy

Black Thorn
    S2 Spike was a tough guy, Angel was very afraid for Buffy when he showed up. It wasn't until the wheelchair that they started to make him weaker. He would have taken out Buffy in school hard had she been alone.

DeadlyDuo: Agreed. Buffy should thank her lucky stars Joyce was there.
    DeadlyDuo likes this.
  7. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    Spike was a poser and he quivered in the shadow of Angelus. Even when Angel was being Fauxgellus in School Hard you saw how quickly Spike relinquished his power to what he thought was the alpha vamp.

thetopher likes this.
  8. GoSpuffy

Black Thorn
    That's not how I remember it. Remember when Angel was telling Giles and Buffy about who spike was.? And angel tried to fake spike out by using Xander as a pawn but spike saw right through him.

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  9. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole Scooby

Black Thorn
    But we're talking apples to oranges. There is a difference between Angel and Angelus. In his (Spike's) mind it is Spike > Angel but Spike < Angelus

I never took it as Spike "saw right through him"

10. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Potential

I just happened to have watched this episode last night, and it was blatant to me that Spike saw right through him.

DeadlyDuo, GoSpuffy and Priceless like this.
  11. Fenrir

Fenrir Townie

Doesn't Spike pretend to be falling for it and then just lamp Angel?

That said Angel was portraying himself as quite weak in that scene so there could have been a confidence boost from that.

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  12. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

When Angelus came on to the scene in season 2, Spike was already in a wheelchair. Prior to that, Spike was quite a threat and caused concern for the scoobies including Angel.

The writers needed to move Spike out of the role of season big bad so that they could move Angelus in instead and focus the story on Buffy having to fight and kill a soulless Angel.

It was clear that Spike saw through Angel's ploy in School Hard, just look at his face when he and Angel hug.

13. Slayerofslayers

Slayerofslayers Potential

Without the wheelchair it would have been harder for Angelus to take the center stage as the main opposition to Buffy (and the writers would have wanted to keep their decision to kill off Spike). It would have been nice to see Spike still in action and being his regular awesome self like he was in the first half of the season but I don't think he and Dru would have much to do in the episodes after Angelus reappears since one of the main points of the second half of the season is the attempts of Angelus to terrorize Buffy and the people around her. Spike also would have been able to better maintain Drusilla's attention and affection and stand up to the taunts of Angelus easier which would have made the tension between them much lesser. Spike would probably not have allied with Buffy which is what helped her to defeat Angelus and Drusilla's scheme to unleash Acathla (and maybe Spike and Dru would have stayed together if he hadn't betrayed Angelus which I would be for but again for the story's sake the writers wanted a reason for Spike to ally with Buffy as an advantage for her to win). So I do think the wheelchair was necessary and better for the story but it would be interesting to see how things would have unfolded without it.

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  14. YummySushiPJs

YummySushiPJs Potential

Yep pretty much.

15. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    See 'Angel S5 'Why We Fight', with Angelus around Spike becomes a second in command pretty quickly (when Spike is fooled by Angel, so take that S2 Spike, it took you 100 years to figure out that Angel actually DID fool you. Ha!).

I guess that Drusilla being around would've complicated things eventually, then we'd see Spike get his ass kicked and then go to the slayer for help (DB is in the credits so he beats up the guest star. That's how it works.)

It wouldn't have been as effective a season since there would be less sympathy for Spike being (presumably) cuckolded and helpless to do anything about it.

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  16. nightshade

nightshade Watcher Staff Member

Black Thorn
    I really like Spike pre wheelchair, and I think it could have worked with him not in a wheelchair, Angelus would still have taken the lead bad guy roles but he could of had both Spike and Dru helping him out. The three of them working together would have been great I think. Buffy would have had to find a different way to take them all on, maybe involve Kendra more in the fight.

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  17. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

True, but then Spike would have no reason to go against Angelus. In many ways, what foiled Angelus' plot in season 2 was not keeping Spike onside.

18. Fenrir

Fenrir Townie

Who'd have thought that being mean to people could backfire?

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  19. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

If Spike had not been in a wheelchair when Angelus came back, I seriously believe that Angelus would have dusted him fairly quickly. What saved Spike was the fact that Angelus got so much perverse pleasure out of mocking and belittling him in front of Dru. If Spike had been fully mobile, the two of them would have had to wind up fighting like two alpha males in any pack, and, since David was a regular on the show, and James was originally just a throw away character, written to be taken out after a few weeks anyway, that would have been the the easiest, and most appropriate, way to end the character, as well as establish Angelus as the real Season Big Bad.

Whether that was insight on the part of Joss and his writers, sensing the potential of the character, or just dumb luck is anybody's guess, but the result was that a throw away role evolved in 6 years into what many fans believe to be one of the most interesting and well developed characters in the entire Buffyverse.

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  20. GoSpuffy

Black Thorn
    very good point. I'm so grateful for that wheelchair now!

DeadlyDuo likes this.