1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How did Vamp-Xander know that Buffy was a Slayer

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by Joshua, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Joshua

Joshua Huge Spuffy Fan!

When Cordelia runs into Vamp-Xander he says "Buffy, the Slayer?" how would he know that Buffy was a Slayer?

2. Priceless

Priceless I am now

I would think Buffy's fame as The Slayer had spread from Cleveland. Xander makes a joke about her not being scary, but then the Master wants Cordy killed before she contacts Buffy, so I think they must fear her a bit.

3. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Yeah, especially as there's only one Slayer, and with a name like 'Buffy', it'd be instantly memorable.

Smile Time likes this.
  4. Scooby Corps

Scooby Corps Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!

I think there are two possibilities. First, the Master had his own intel or second, Buffy's reputation carried over from Cleveland to Sunnydale plus her name is unique and memorable.

I tend to dismiss the second because Buffy's impact isn't near as successful without Willow/Xander/Giles but I wouldn't exclude it completely.

I actually have an headcanon which covers the topic. I base the Master's sudden and uncharacteristic progressive ambition in the Wish on Willow and Xander's influence on him after they became his first lieutenants. Just like Buffy's progressiveness and success in keeping her humanity, her slaying, saving lives and *staying alive* in the original verse depends on her friendships. The Master serves several mirror functions in the narrative structure of S01. One of them is an evil mirror to Buffy (and Giles and Cordelia). Like Buffy, he solely inspires through sheer charisma, social power and implied physical power. If Darla, Luke, and the other minions just leave him, he's trapped forever and couldn't carry out his mischiefs. That means Angel and Giles won't hear about the Harvest, because there wouldn't be one, and thus, the Scoobies wouldn't be alerted of him. Therefore, Giles doesn't research the prophecy and Buffy doesn't go down the sewers to kill but then ending up freeing him. Buffy would face similar qualms if she wouldn't befriend Xander and Willow. She'd be dead very soon. However, while Willow and Xander are the gears to Buffy's machine in the original verse, they are the gears to the Master's machine in the Wishverse. Long story short, Strategic & Tactic Guy Xander is kind of the intelligence chief to the Master's president and suggested to locate the Slayer and determine her identity which Willow carried out through hacking (and I'm convinced she suggested an own industrialization and invented the blood factory). :D

thrasherpix likes this.