1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How did Wesley not know who Angel was on their first scene together?

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by Joshua, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Joshua

Joshua Huge Spuffy Fan!

When Wes met Angel in Bad Girls, how did Wes not know who he was but in Angel S4 he says he studied about Angelus

2. Lyri

Lyri Buckle Up Tight

Sineya
    Studying someone doesn't mean you have any idea what they look like. Especially when Angel - and Angelus - have been in hiding for a century, only revealing himself in the last 3 years.

Someone like Angelus isn't going to let himself get photographed, especially not back in those days when one photograph meant sitting still for ages. Angelus wasn't like Spike or Darla, who relished the spotlight, he enjoyed the killing and the torture, but not the limelight. It doesn't surprise me in the least that the Council had no photographic evidence of Angelus.

3. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Didn't he meet him at the Bronze looking for Buffy?

And then, the next episode, he somehow knows Angel's a vampire enough to brandish a cross at Angel when he arrests Faith.

I'd say Wesley did well enough to research who Buffy associates herself with afterwards. Hell, maybe he just asked Giles who the forehead guy in the dark coat was and Giles filled him in on the rest.

4. Taake

Taake Tweedledee Staff Member

Black Thorn
    The only one of the Fanged Four we saw on a picture was Drusilla, no? (Giles shows it to Buffy) And I'm guessing that was taken before she was turned and possibly accumulated because the Council - at that time - had their eyes on Angelus and what he was doing. By reputation.
    I doubt they had any pictures of him. When Giles read about him to Buffy he just said "the one with the angelic face", maybe Wes was working off similiar sources?

5. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    There was a picture of Darla I think. Wesley shows it to Lockley in one episode.

That's right. And I think Lockley finds those same books when she researches Angel later on in AtS S1. I'm guessing he must be fairly easy to research but the books have no pictures.

Samuel Reyes likes this.
  6. Lyri

Lyri Buckle Up Tight

Sineya
    Yeah, Angel - or someone - had a photo of Darla. I think he said it was a Daguerreotype? Which would make sense if it was taken in the early 1800's, which is the look Darla has in the picture.

7. Kana

Kana Soulless human

I agree that Wes most likely knew the name but not the face. Wes asked who he was in the Bronze but Angel only revealed his name at the end of Bad Girls with Wes present. It's possible that triggered something and he did his own research due to "uncomfortable proximity" Angel had with the Slayer.

Samuel Reyes likes this.