1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How hard is it to write a fic?

Discussion in 'Introduction To The Watcher Diaries' started by dcai0830, Jul 19, 2017.

1. dcai0830

dcai0830 "Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."

I have all of these stories in my head, but I'm not much of a writer and I also probably don't have the time with a full time job and all but I wonder how hard it would be to just fan fiction?

Anyone here pick up fan fiction lately? What did you find easy? Challenging?

2. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    It's real easy to write a bad one.... ;)

But joking aside, if you have a story in your head write it down as an outline first. Make sure you have a beginning a middle and an end (I know that sounds like common sense but I've seen loads of Fics where the writer has lost their way before the end & just given up....really annoying for the reader).
    Once you have the outline you can keep going back to it, when you have the time, without the danger of losing the thread of what it is about....
    Then when you have written a few chapters, go back & read what you have written...check for obvious typo's & make sure it makes sense......

Forgive me if you knew all this already.........

As for what I find the hardest? It's actually wrapping everything up for a decent ending I find hardest to do......but that's just me.

I'm definitely not saying I'm a good writer, but I've written a fair few fics now, so if you want to know any specifics you are welcome to PM me with any questions :)

I wrote a complete outline for a fic today as it happens....yay me! :rolleyes:

Puppet, sosa lola and dcai0830 like this.
  3. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

It helps if you send your chapters to a beta reader to edit spelling and grammar mistakes and gives suggestions when a character sounds off or a sentence/paragraph is too wordy.

Puppet and dcai0830 like this.
  4. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

I would say when writing fic, get a few chapters down before you post anything so you give yourself some breathing space. I made the mistake of not doing that for my current Buffy fic. I posted the first chapter in November and am still writing the second chapter. It's the first two scenes that have caused me issues because I want them to be right but I think I'm getting there now so I'm hoping to get chapter 2 finished soon.

I don't plan like @Last Watcher says, merely because I find it too constricting. I have a general idea (I know some general events that are going to happen and how I'm going to end my Season 4 AU fanfic down to the final line) but I don't do a detailed plan because I like the characters to direct the story eg originally on my fanfic, Chapter 1 was going to feature Oz saving Willow from Drusilla but it turned into Xander saving Willow from being choked to death whilst Willow saved Xander from being drained dry. Likewise, originally Buffy was going to stay the night at Parker's but it turned into her coming back to her dorm room because she couldn't stand his snoring and falling over Xander on the floor.

If I have an idea, I write it down and I keep it as long as necessary. It's happened before where I've had an idea, then completely changed it, then gone back to the first idea but written differently. Writer's block is normally the characters not playing ball and if an idea works then the characters let the story progress. Re-reading what you've written helps but try and do it more to check the flow of the story rather than just re-reading for re-reading's sake. Be aware of spelling as well.

Don't write fanfic for shows that are still running. I started a OUAT fanfic then the show took a complete nose dive in quality and I just lost my motivation for it. I wrote and posted a summary of what would've happened so people weren't left hanging but I just couldn't continue writing it. I'm quite proud of my completed Lost Boys movie fanfic which was my first fanfic. I started it 7 years ago, completed it 4 years ago and it is still getting views. :)

I'm no expert when it comes to writing, but what I would say is this: Do what works for you. Everyone has different ways of going about things, there is no one size fits all.

Puppet and dcai0830 like this.
  5. Blaze

Blaze Let it Burn

Black Thorn
    Fanfic writing gives you lots of room, you can make it as easy or as hard on yourself as you'd like. Of course that will be shown in the product you put out there, but fanfic can be written just for the fun of it, they don't all need to be great litterature.

Normally for a good piece of writing an outline would be crucial, but if you're writing just for fun and you want to see where the story takes you, than that is totally okay to do for a fanfics. And I've read some great fics that were improvised. Fanfics just give you so many options, you can write outside of the regular writing rules. Hell, I've read fics that were just text messages and it was great. So I say just write, don't worry about the rest for now. Just have fun with it!

DeadlyDuo, dcai0830 and Last Watcher like this.
  6. Puppet

Puppet Hands in the hair!

Black Thorn
    I've been a fanfic author for almost 10 years now, so my advice is to start off small; write a one/shot, or even a drabble, just to test youself. Also, make sure to write for yourself, if you focus too much on what the reviews will be, then it shows in your work.

A beta is also smart, as has already been mentioned. I'm a lot like DeadlyDuo, I find an outline constricting since my characters always take on a voice of their own and do things I don't actually want them to, lol.

Also, and I don't mean this in a mean-spirited way, but don't presume that fanfic is 'easier' than original, it's just a different challenge. You are writing something in an already existing world, you are working with already established characters (unless you create an OC) so that restricts you to certain things, which is what I find fascinating and challenging about writing fanfic.

Good luck to you, if you decide to give it a try.

(Also, if you have ideas you want to see, you could always try to challenge other authors to write them, that's fun, too)

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  7. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    I got dragged kicking & screaming (not) into taking part in a roleplay on the boards here. It was something I had never even seen before, let alone tried. Must admit it's been a whole lot of fun & has changed the way I approach writing as the scenario is set by the previous poster so I have to make my character react to what they have posted.
    That means my usual pre-planning goes straight out the window as I have no control over where the action goes.....has certainly made life....interesting! ;)

8. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett Satsu Otaku

Sineya
    I've been writing for almost 10 years (with two or three stories dating back earlier) and have definitely focused on quality over quantity... by my count I have 61 complete fics in that time, none of them much over 10,000 words and most of them in the 2,000-3,000 word range. I find that it's much easier to write when sudden inspiration hits, and I just sit down and start writing until it's done. I'm much more likely to complete a story like that than if I plan it out and try to write it in stages.

Also, nothing motivates writing like a deadline. With most fanfic there is no deadline, but I participated in a fic writing contest for several years (for the Pathfinder fantasy roleplaying game) and that deadline was a huge motivator. Once I completely scrapped a story 48 hours before the deadline, wrote a new one from scratch in that time, and it placed in the top 5. I can't say it's very much fun to write under heavy pressure, but it sure does produce a word count.

I'm definitely the type that prefers "having written" to "writing."